+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

get a survival job with advanced degrees

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
It's interesting how when I applied to a position to pack stuff that requires no experience but pays $13/hour and requires you to lift packages up to 70 lbs and to stand for hours at a time, I got a call back the next day, but when I have been applying to related positions in my field in which I have a PhD and have been studying for the past 12 years, no one regarded me as worthy!! I don't think my story is unique. Immigrants would love to live and settle in Canada, but more often than not they struggle a lot and pay their lives for that goal.
immigration is nothing but a revenue source for canada. even on the $13 they will take $6 as tax and provide medicare and child care for asylum seekers and refugees. basically you are working to pay for someone elses problems.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
immigration is nothing but a revenue source for canada. even on the $13 they will take $6 as tax and provide medicare and child care for asylum seekers and refugees. basically you are working to pay for someone elses problems.
I do not agree to this comment. Paying tax is part of living in a society. You pay taxes which are used for healthcare (which you may/maynot use), to build roads/airports (which you may/may not use), pay for defense (even if you do not agree if Canada sends troops to support a war that you do not agree to), pay for homeless shelters (even if you are not homeless)

As a liberal society we have an obligation to help people in distress (some may not agree), while some may abuse the system we cannot close the borders for the majority who are genuinely in distress. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/asylum-claims/asylum-claims-2019.html
Based on this around 50K asylum requests were processed. This is my personal view, as a free society every has the right to disagree.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
So in these 7 years you have been trying to get a job/parttime?
This isn't my first post. I know how it would end if I answered, because all answered the same thing before; it's my fault.

PS.: 4 years my PhD and I worked 2 years, but have been unemployed for 2 years in total.

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I don't mind helping someone else through taxes given that I have a decent job appropriate to my qualifications and not struggling to pay the rent. Also, I use the health care system among other public systems like the public transportation.

As for immigration as a revenue source, I think in some sense it is. Some agencies have been trying to reach me about my experience to take a survey, but why would I give them 30 minutes of my time for something I wouldn't benefit from. They just want to collect numbers. When I went for help from a provincial employment service, they basically treated me like a local who can navigate the system easily. There is no real help for immigrants. I went for 4 long months with training and nothing.

basedgod

Apr 25, 2019
Why don't you apply to some universities as a Professor or maybe even a High school teacher? Find some recruiters who cater to jobs in your field of study on LinkedIn and ask them to get you on an interview. I don't understand why you are applying for survival jobs when you have a PhD.

Do you have US experience? I'm asking because couple of my friends and my distant cousin + his wife, went to Canada, with US experience and all of them were able to secure a full time job within 3-5 months of landing in Canada. They said as long as you can speak English fluently, have valid experience that you can demonstrate during the interview, you should be able to secure a job without any trouble.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why don't you apply to some universities as a Professor or maybe even a High school teacher? Find some recruiters who cater to jobs in your field of study on LinkedIn and ask them to get you on an interview. I don't understand why you are applying for survival jobs when you have a PhD.

Do you have US experience? I'm asking because couple of my friends and my distant cousin + his wife, went to Canada, with US experience and all of them were able to secure a full time job within 3-5 months of landing in Canada. They said as long as you can speak English fluently, have valid experience that you can demonstrate during the interview, you should be able to secure a job without any trouble.
Wouldn’t qualify for a teaching job in most provinces since you have to get licensed. It is hard to both get licensed and get a job as a teacher because there is a surplus in most regions. There is still a need in a few areas like French teachers. Getting an associate professor position at a university is extremely hard. It is often tied to a grant and research you are doing at the university, teaching is usually the smallest component of a professor’s job. Many PhDs are competing for academia jobs but there are only so many universities in Canada and some are mostly undergrad.

basedgod

Apr 25, 2019
Wouldn’t qualify for a teaching job in most provinces since you have to get licensed. It is hard to both get licensed and get a job as a teacher because there is a surplus in most regions. There is still a need in a few areas like French teachers. Getting an associate professor position at a university is extremely hard. It is often tied to a grant and research you are doing at the university, teaching is usually the smallest component of a professor’s job. Many PhDs are competing for academia jobs but there are only so many universities in Canada and some are mostly undergrad.
What's your PhD in?