+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

get a survival job with advanced degrees

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
How to get survival jobs in Canada when you have advanced degrees? All of them ask for resumes (and experience), and I am not sure what to write in my resume. My guess is that if I put I have a PhD, they won't consider me because they would think I would leave as soon as I find another job. Well, yes, that's why they are called survival jobs. So, basically, now I am stuck, cannot find a job in my field for awhile, and cannot find a survival job to pay the bills because no one would consider me to do the low skill job. I went to a provincial employment service and took training for 4 months, and tried several recruiting agencies all to no avail. I face the same problem with jobs in my field that don't require PhD. I am willing to work in these jobs to gain experience, but again the pattern is that my applications are not being considered because I am "overqualified" (my suspicion). Any advice on how to overcome this? Ironically, the number of interviews I did from outside Canada was more than the job interviews I did from inside Canada, and I received two job offers from outside Canada, but I am still hoping to find a job in Canada to settle down, as it has been my plan.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If applying why for survival jobs that are not in your field why bother including your PHD in your resume as it is not as though you are looking for a career in a survival job, just dumb down your resume specifically for these type of jobs.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
If applying why for survival jobs why bother including your PHD in your resume as it is not as though you are looking for a career in a survival job, just dumb down your resume specifically for these type of jobs.
I thought about this, but then what to say I was doing during the time I was doing my studies in the last 18 years (for all my studies graduate and under graduate)? It would be a huge gap if I don't put anything, which sounds suspicious. Let me put this differently, when I apply to a low skill job, what should I include without lying? I like to be honest and be on the same page with employers that I am doing this to pay the bills only, but my guess is that this isn't a good answer for employers, because they need employees who stick around, which invites lying.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you applying all over Canada? What are you specialized in? Is there a market for that industry in Canada? Can your professors or other students provide leads. Have you had any work experience between any of your degrees?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Are you applying all over Canada? What are you specialized in? Is there a market for that industry in Canada? Can your professors or other students provide leads. Have you had any work experience between any of your degrees?
There is a market, but may be not as good as for CS or finance, and I tried EVERYTHING you would suggest. I have skills that can be transferred to other fields, too, but I have no industrial experience, and every recruiter pointed this out. But how can I gain experience if no one is willing to give me a chance. For positions that require PhD I have no experience, and for jobs that don't require PhD they don't consider me. When I go to recruiting agencies, they basically tell me you don't have experience, and tell me if there is something comes up, we will let you know, and that is that. I am now willing to do anything (low skill jobs) to survive and pay the bills or I have to leave Canada, but even these low skills jobs aren't easy with my education history.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is a market, but may be not as good as for CS or finance, and I tried EVERYTHING you would suggest. I have skills that can be transferred to other fields, too, but I have no industrial experience, and every recruiter pointed this out. But how can I gain experience if no one is willing to give me a chance. For positions that require PhD I have no experience, and for jobs that don't require PhD they don't consider me. When I go to recruiting agencies, they basically tell me you don't have experience, and tell me if there is something comes up, we will let you know, and that is that. I am now willing to do anything (low skill jobs) to survive and pay the bills or I have to leave Canada, but even these low skills jobs aren't easy with my education history.
Sorry I don’t have any other suggestions. Unfortunately people should really consider working between degrees or doing some co-ops/internships. Maybe you should consider getting some international experience in a large well known company then you can come back to Canada if you want.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Sorry I don’t have any other suggestions. Unfortunately people should really consider working between degrees or doing some co-ops/internships. Maybe you should consider getting some international experience in a large well known company then you can come back to Canada if you want.
This problem is unique to Canada, though, maybe because of the small job market and few opportunities. My problem is not unique. Some of my colleagues left Canada either because they couldn't find a job, or because they were working low salary jobs. As I mentioned before, I received more interviews and (two job offers) from outside Canada , and I don't have industrial experience, and I finished my PhD from Canada because some people say maybe it's because your degree is not recognized or something!!

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Dude just put some fake usa experience. I doubt survival job employers go through the effort of any investigation. And why don't you just drive uber.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Dude just put some fake usa experience. I doubt survival job employers go through the effort of any investigation. And why don't you just drive uber.
I don't have a driving license and a car. So, this is the way: lying?

Last edited:

despacito2017

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
If it’s a survival job, half the time the employer doesn’t even care what your resume says as long as you have a pulse. There are fast food and retail places that hire people with zero experience. There are 16 year olds doing the job!

Alternatively, just go to any temp agency, people show up even without a CV and they will send you somewhere for a role and many will pay you weekly.

Reactions: hamgha

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Also resumes are not a full list of everything you do. You can only add relevant skills from your work experience.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
It's interesting how when I applied to a position to pack stuff that requires no experience but pays $13/hour and requires you to lift packages up to 70 lbs and to stand for hours at a time, I got a call back the next day, but when I have been applying to related positions in my field in which I have a PhD and have been studying for the past 12 years, no one regarded me as worthy!! I don't think my story is unique. Immigrants would love to live and settle in Canada, but more often than not they struggle a lot and pay their lives for that goal.

Last edited:

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
It's interesting how when I applied to a position to pack stuff that requires no experience but pays $13/hour and requires you to lift packages up to 70 lbs and to stand for hours at a time, I got a call back the next day, but when I have been applying to related positions in my field in which I have a PhD and have been studying for the past 12 years, no one regarded me as worthy!! I don't think my story is unique. Immigrants would love to live and settle in Canada, but more often than not they struggle a lot and pay their lives for that goal.
How long have you been in Canada?