+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Germany layover

Catmom

May 28, 2020
There are reports that Lufthansa has resumed flights from India to Germany. Click here to read the news report

I was wondering if I can take Frankfurt layover flights to Canada. This is subjected to whenever the flight ban from Canada is lifted.

Long flights freak me out. Hence, I wanted to break the flight duration.

I read somewhere that Lufthansa doesn't allow students on board. Is that true?

Also, can anyone suggest me other safe options?

India - Turkey - Canada , India - Dubai - Canada, India - London - Canada? I wanted to book hence looking at various options.

kat_dog

Star Member
May 27, 2021
There are reports that Lufthansa has resumed flights from India to Germany. Click here to read the news report

I was wondering if I can take Frankfurt layover flights to Canada. This is subjected to whenever the flight ban from Canada is lifted.

India - Turkey - Canada , India - Dubai - Canada, India - London - Canada? I wanted to book hence looking at various options.

Once the travel ban is lifted, I'd assume there would be no problem choosing a route with a layover as we wouldn't need to get tested in the 3rd country.

Also; did you manage to get your visa stamped (VFS)?

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Hey, it was recommended to fly direct as per air bubble arrangement by India and Canada. I get anxiety with any flight that goes beyond 6-7 hours.

I read in one of the forums that Lufthansa doesn't allow students. Hence, I was concerned. Europe layovers are best for me , as I will be spending around 7 hours or less in each of the flight.

I am waiting for my passport to be stamped. I reckon VFS will open soon in India. Lockdowns are opening up as cases are going down. Also, many of our CMs are very accomodating for overseas students heading for September intake, speeding up vaccination for us. The PM of my country is an Idiot but many CMs are very progressive and understand and value the importance of education and time.

kat_dog

Star Member
May 27, 2021
Hey, it was recommended to fly direct as per air bubble arrangement by India and Canada. I get anxiety with any flight that goes beyond 6-7 hours.

I read in one of the forums that Lufthansa doesn't allow students. Hence, I was concerned. Europe layovers are best for me , as I will be spending around 7 hours or less in each of the flight.

I am waiting for my passport to be stamped. I reckon VFS will open soon in India. Lockdowns are opening up as cases are going down. Also, many of our CMs are very accomodating for overseas students heading for September intake, speeding up vaccination for us. The PM of my country is an Idiot but many CMs are very progressive and understand and value the importance of education and time.
I don't think VFS will open up in India till at least 15-20th July.

• Angry
Reactions: Catmom

A93

Star Member
Mar 17, 2021
I don't think VFS will open up in India till at least 15-20th July.
that's not sure...Delhi is already opening up with 50% capacity for private offices. VFS centres will start opening as they closed, state by state rather than all at once.

A93

Star Member
Mar 17, 2021

I have a frankfurt layover flight too, i saw a lot of threads here saying that there's no issue with it, the only risk is that the layover country develops some issues, like earlier during last year Lufthansa got into issues with the Civil Avaition Ministry of India and as a result they cancelled their flights.

Catmom

May 28, 2020
I have a frankfurt layover flight too, i saw a lot of threads here saying that there's no issue with it, the only risk is that the layover country develops some issues, like earlier during last year Lufthansa got into issues with the Civil Avaition Ministry of India and as a result they cancelled their flights.
Oh nice. When are you planning to fly? I am hoping by August first week.

Reactions: A93

Catmom

May 28, 2020
that's not sure...Delhi is already opening up with 50% capacity for private offices. VFS centres will start opening as they closed, state by state rather than all at once.
Yeah. Even Mumbai is opening up pretty fast.

And Mumbai VFS staff is amazing. They work like machines. Very quick and efficient.

Reactions: A93

CoderGeek

Star Member
Apr 20, 2021
  • Passengers of other nationalities on a flight from India with a connecting flight to Egypt or Canada (this flight routing is not allowed)
Current flight information | Lufthansa Looks like German layover is not allowed for non German nationalities taking flights from India as per update in Lufthansa airways page.

Catmom

May 28, 2020
  • Passengers of other nationalities on a flight from India with a connecting flight to Egypt or Canada (this flight routing is not allowed)
Current flight information | Lufthansa Looks like German layover is not allowed for non German nationalities taking flights from India as per update in Lufthansa airways page.
You are right. "Only German nationals and holders of a German resident permit travelling from India are currently allowed to enter Germany" Source - TOI

I hope they open for layovers soon. Some of the cheapest flights got Germany/ Swiss/ Netherland layover

A93

Star Member
Mar 17, 2021
Yes for now its not available because they clearly say that Canada requires a covid test from a third country while the ban is in effect for direct flights. But as the ban is most likely being lifted this month, layover flights will resume operations like normal.