+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

German guy & Canadian girl.... trying to figure this immigration stuff out :)

lauralee

Apr 30, 2014
So an update and question on our situation....

We got the application for VISA extension in about a month ago. Yesterday we received (via email - we're doing everything online) a notice that his application has "been updated". When we log into MyCIC nothing has changed. There's no new messages. The application is 'open', nothing further is required at this time, and final decision is 'not started'. We thought maybe the system needed time to catch up with whatever a worker did so we checked back today and still nothing has changed. There is no update that we can see.

Is the update maybe just that someone is now looking at the application???

As for IEC.... we have everything ready to apply once it opens up for this year. The website has changed a bit but the 2015 applications aren't open yet so we just check everyday!

@jazibkg and @canuck_in_uk - we were really surprised to find out that we could apply that way. I also thought immigration would deny saying that means he eventually plans to stay. But I guess since Canada has common-law status and the ability to sponsor based on that they have to give us the ability to reach that with people who are legally in the country. Otherwise people have to be here illegally trying to reach common-law status. Seems backwards! <insert Government joke here> :p

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
lauralee said:
@ jazibkg and @ canuck_in_uk - we were really surprised to find out that we could apply that way. I also thought immigration would deny saying that means he eventually plans to stay. But I guess since Canada has common-law status and the ability to sponsor based on that they have to give us the ability to reach that with people who are legally in the country. Otherwise people have to be here illegally trying to reach common-law status. Seems backwards! <insert Government joke here> :p
Yes, its surprising to me that CIC is facilitating immigration in this way and not preventing it, like other countries do. But its great they're taking this human factor into account, it is someone new to me as most governments are mechanical in nature.