+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

German guy & Canadian girl.... trying to figure this immigration stuff out :)

lauralee

Apr 30, 2014
Hi everyone!

Here's our story so far....

My finance is German and I'm Canadian. We met online gaming approx 1.5 years ago and became good friends right away. Not long after we realised we were crazy about each other and started a long distance relationship. He arrived in Canada at the beginning of July 2014. He can stay up to 6 months without needing a visa as he's from a visa exempt country. Now that we've met in the 'real world' and have lived together for 4 months we're sure we want to stay together and build a life here in Canada. We've been together for almost a year; engaged for a few months.

We've been reading the immigration website and the forums and everything is so overwhelming. We have more questions than anything! We're looking for some help, advice, guidance.... anything to help us sort through this.

Right now we're trying to figure out the best way to apply for him to stay. We're thinking of applying for common-law sponsorship but it seems like he may be able to stay under a couple of different ways:
- Extending his 'visa' long enough that we qualify for common-law sponsorship.
- Trying to find a company who could hire him using the LMIA so he can get a work visa and stay. (We're not even sure if this a real option if you're already here or if it would work for any job. He's not a skilled or trade worker.)

Ideally it would be great if he could work. He is ready, willing and able to do so but of course we want to make sure we do everything the right way so as to not jeopardize his immigration. I own my own business (clothing designer/seamstress) and also work part time outside the home. I don't make a lot of money but I do make enough to support us until he can work.

He has 2 months left on his 'visa'.

Here's our questions so far:
- If we apply for an extension can we say it's because we're going for common-law status? Is that a legit reason for an extension?
- If he gets an extension can we look for work for him and also get a work visa along the way using the LMIA? Or if, once started down the common-law path, do we have to wait until we get his application in and approved up to the point where he gets an open work visa?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read/post/help. It is greatly appreciated. :) Private messages are welcome. Heck even if you're local (London, ON) we'd love to meet other people who've gone through this, especially local Germans!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At the end of the year / beginning of the next one, they will open for applications for Germans for a working holiday in Canada, see http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng

If he gets a visa through that, he could have a one year open work permit in Canada which would allow you to live together long enough to qualify for common law and apply for spousal sponsorship.

Stating that you want to apply as common law is an acceptable reason for applying to extend his visit visa. However, you should not mention when you apply to sponsor him that you are engaged or immigration may feel that they should be waiting for you to get married. Or if you want to, you can get married, then you don't have to wait a year to sponsor him.

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
Do the working holiday thing and it can work out. My boyfriend is from England and this is how we are doing things. He did 2 of the one year IEC visas. This gave him a chance to get work experience in Canada and he was able to apply to MPNP (all provinces have a nomination program, look into your province to find out what your boyfriend needs to qualify) now that my BF has he MPNP approval he can apply for PR. Because we have also been living together for over a year I could have also sponsored him but he decided he wanted to do it without me having to sponsor him. This puts less strain on our relationship since there are many rules when you sponsor a spouse.

If your boyfriend comes on a holiday work visa and gets a job then he will open a lot of other doors for ways to get PR in Canada.

I think there is a age limit to the working holidays. I think he would have to be 30 years old or younger.

lauralee

Apr 30, 2014
Thanks Leon & Mbgirlfriend! :)

That looks like a great option. I followed the link and it's still the info for 2014.

Do you know when they update to the 2015 program?
And he can apply to that even though he's already in Canada?
One last question (for now anyway lols)... if the new program isn't up by the time his 6mos 'visa' expires (Jan 6 2015), can we apply for an extension saying it's because he's applying for that program?

Thanks again for the input. We really appreciate it!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lauralee said:
Thanks Leon & Mbgirlfriend! :)

That looks like a great option. I followed the link and it's still the info for 2014.

Do you know when they update to the 2015 program?
And he can apply to that even though he's already in Canada?
One last question (for now anyway lols)... if the new program isn't up by the time his 6mos 'visa' expires (Jan 6 2015), can we apply for an extension saying it's because he's applying for that program?

Thanks again for the input. We really appreciate it!
You can apply for an extension for any reason, for example that you are looking to qualify as common law so you can sponsor him. You should preferably apply to extend before his visa expires.

lauralee

Apr 30, 2014
Leon said:
You can apply for an extension for any reason, for example that you are looking to qualify as common law so you can sponsor him. You should preferably apply to extend before his visa expires.
Is it ok to put two reasons for staying?

We're going to apply for the IEC. Based on the timelines from last year the application process starts mid-late January. His visa expires at the beginning of January so no matter what we need an extension. I'm worried that if we put our reason as "applying for the IEC program" and he doesn't get in and we have to apply for another extension for "common law" that immigration will be like <scary official voice> "Oh you guys are just trying to stay anyway you can. This way didn't work so now you're doing this. DENIED!!!!" I'd rather just be upfront from the beginning.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lauralee said:
Is it ok to put two reasons for staying?

We're going to apply for the IEC. Based on the timelines from last year the application process starts mid-late January. His visa expires at the beginning of January so no matter what we need an extension. I'm worried that if we put our reason as "applying for the IEC program" and he doesn't get in and we have to apply for another extension for "common law" that immigration will be like <scary official voice> "Oh you guys are just trying to stay anyway you can. This way didn't work so now you're doing this. DENIED!!!!" I'd rather just be upfront from the beginning.
You can put more than one reason for sure. Trying to qualify as common law and trying to get an IEC visa is a pretty good plan actually. Maybe immigration will think so too.

lauralee

Apr 30, 2014
Leon said:
You can put more than one reason for sure. Trying to qualify as common law and trying to get an IEC visa is a pretty good plan actually. Maybe immigration will think so too.
Thanks Leon! I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad you think it's a good plan. I hope immigration sees it the same way. Onto the paperwork! lols :)

lauralee

Apr 30, 2014
Hi everyone! Got another question for you.... we're doing our application for visa extension now but we don't see anywhere on the form to put the reason we want an extension. Are we just blind? Or does the reason go somewhere else? Maybe we have the wrong form? We have form IMM5708E. Any help would be most appreciated. :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lauralee said:
Hi everyone! Got another question for you.... we're doing our application for visa extension now but we don't see anywhere on the form to put the reason we want an extension. Are we just blind? Or does the reason go somewhere else? Maybe we have the wrong form? We have form IMM5708E. Any help would be most appreciated. :)
3rd page, top, details of visit to Canada :)

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
are you guys sure disclosing a relationship with a Canadian on a Temp Visitor Visa is the sensible thing to do in this case?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jazibkg said:
are you guys sure disclosing a relationship with a Canadian on a Temp Visitor Visa is the sensible thing to do in this case?
It's perfectly fine. Many people on this forum have asked for extensions stating that they want to become common-law with their Canadian partner in order to submit a sponsorship app or want to explore their relationship further. It's not a problem for CIC as long as the applicant can show that they (or their partner, family etc.) have the finances to support their extended stay.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
It's perfectly fine. Many people on this forum have asked for extensions stating that they want to become common-law with their Canadian partner in order to submit a sponsorship app or want to explore their relationship further. It's not a problem for CIC as long as the applicant can show that they (or their partner, family etc.) have the finances to support their extended stay.
Really? That's surprising for me to hear...as I assumed that like other countries, Canada would make the 'intending immigrant' accusation and deny the TRV on the grounds of intention to settle whilst the application is for a temp visa (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/too-soon-to-try-entering-canada-after-being-denied-entry-t259234.0.html).

Its really nice of CIC if they actually consider these human factors and take them into account!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jazibkg said:
Really? That's surprising for me to hear...as I assumed that like other countries, Canada would make the 'intending immigrant' accusation and deny the TRV on the grounds of intention to settle whilst the application is for a temp visa (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/too-soon-to-try-entering-canada-after-being-denied-entry-t259234.0.html).

Its really nice of CIC if they actually consider these human factors and take them into account!
There is a VERY big difference between applying to initially enter Canada and applying to extend visitor status when already in Canada. More leeway is given once a person is already in Canada.