+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

General Power of Attorney on my Father's name

manharnarang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
Hi,

I purchased a property in India a couple of years back and now its up for registration. For the registration, either I should be present or I can provide my father a General Power of Attorney to my father to get the property registered on my name.

I asked a lawyer here in Canada and he told me that a lawyer in India can create a GPOA and send to me for my signature here in front of a lawyer here.

Anyone knows how it works?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I purchased a property in India a couple of years back and now its up for registration.
It's quite unusual for the property registration to be done a couple of years after purchasing it.

For the registration, either I should be present or I can provide my father a General Power of Attorney to my father to get the property registered on my name.

I asked a lawyer here in Canada and he told me that a lawyer in India can create a GPOA and send to me for my signature here in front of a lawyer here.

Anyone knows how it works?
Ideally, it would be best if you are present for registering the property. Your biometrics would be recorded as part of the registration process.

One must be very cautious in issuing a GPA as it could even grant the authority to sell the property. You may want to consider giving a Special Power of Attorney with limited rights instead. The clauses would be well-defined, and the scope of representing you would be limited.

You can execute the Special Power of Attorney before a notary public (the notary registration number must be given on each page of the POA) or before the Indian embassy

manharnarang

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
It's quite unusual for the property registration to be done a couple of years after purchasing it.

Ideally, it would be best if you are present for registering the property. Your biometrics would be recorded as part of the registration process.

One must be very cautious in issuing a GPA as it could even grant the authority to sell the property. You may want to consider giving a Special Power of Attorney with limited rights instead. The clauses would be well-defined, and the scope of representing you would be limited.

You can execute the Special Power of Attorney before a notary public (the notary registration number must be given on each page of the POA) or before the Indian embassy
Thanks Bryanna for your response. The property was bought a couple of years back but I got the possession recently.

Regarding the POA, what I understand is that the Indian lawyer can create one and my family can courier the same to me and I just have to sign it (I am assuming this is what executing means) before a notary public or Indian embassy. Am I right here?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks Bryanna for your response. The property was bought a couple of years back but I got the possession recently.
Okay

Regarding the POA, what I understand is that the Indian lawyer can create one and my family can courier the same to me and I just have to sign it (I am assuming this is what executing means) before a notary public or Indian embassy. Am I right here?
That's right

akshay.1o

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hi..need help if anyone can help plz.. I am buying a house in India and I will be the getting mortgage under my name but since am in canada my dad will need to legally own the house and for that I have to send power of attorney. So I asked my dad to get it done in India and send to me here so I can sign and get it notarized by local notary.. but the loan agent sent me this one page document and asked me to get it signed by indian embassy. I live in winnipeg we have BLS here not indian embassy. So I have no idea what to do and how to do it. Plz help