+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GENERAL OR ACADEMIC IELTS

venkyr

Mar 13, 2009
Hi friends....I am planning to apply for Canadian Immigration under the Federal Skilled Worker category.
I am currently on H1B in the US ...I would appreciate any advice for my questions...

1) Do I need to take Academic or General IELTS?
**An academic IELTS will help me apply for Student Visa as I am also considering that option.

2) How long will the process take if I apply from the US center?

3) Will my application be considered part of the India quota? The processing time seems to be very long from India.

Thank you.

Venky

mahharrouf

Jan 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
venkyr said:
Hi friends....I am planning to apply for Canadian Immigration under the Federal Skilled Worker category.
I am currently on H1B in the US ...I would appreciate any advice for my questions...

1) Do I need to take Academic or General IELTS?
**An academic IELTS will help me apply for Student Visa as I am also considering that option.

2) How long will the process take if I apply from the US center?

3) Will my application be considered part of the India quota? The processing time seems to be very long from India.

Thank you.

Venky

First make sure, are you applying under FSW or student category.2 boats same time may bring alot of confusion for you.

FSW- General IELTS
Student - I am not sure, wait for some one else reply.
Under new ruling, FSW category will take 6-12 months, accourding CIC website.

Are you Indian in USA? i couldn't get your last question.

venkyr

Mar 13, 2009
thanks a lot for the reply...I am planning to apply in the FSW category
I am currently in the US and yes I am an Indian :)

I am also considering applying for a student visa depending on the way the market goes after the next quarter maybe.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
General is your answer for FSW. For student you need academic, you need to decide which way to go, not that you mentioned this, but you cannot have two application for different categories in the process at the same time.

hinabscn05

Jul 9, 2009
hi,

I along with my spouse have planned to apply for canadian Immigration in Skilled Base Category. I have seen a Question number 6 relevent to language in form

Form Name: "Schedule 3 Economic Classes - Federal Skilled Workers" [Form Number IMM 0008]

This form is located on following path:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

My question is

Do I need to take IELTS before I apply for immigration process? Because in this form Applicant have to provide a copy of approved test results or evidence of proficiency in Canada's official languages.

Or Should I wait after applying for immigration till some positive response from Immigration office ?

Does this question means that it is necessary to provide language proficiency along with the application form?

I have also seen that people donot take IELTS before applying. Once they get some positive response from immigration then they take ielts and send before time line defined by Immigration office.

I think before the fast track of immigration people use to take ielts after they took some positive response from immgration office.

please reply

strong

Aug 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi New Yorker
If someone applied for FSW and by mistake she took academic IELTS but with high mark, and submit it to local visa office along with other documents they asked, whats going to happen for her IELTS,
Is any chance for her, the visa office accept her academic results? whats going to happen to her file???
Thanks

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
There is been instances where visa officers have accepted the Academic IELTS, I read this in the forum but I cannot say for sure. Just send the application with Academic and see what happens. Get ready for the General if the ask.

dude

Jun 12, 2009
If you have already done Academic IELTS then don't worry about it, cuz it will be accepted. In my case it was accepted. Like somebody here told, in the website they are saying about General so if not done yet then you may take General test on the safer side.

strong

Aug 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks dude
yes my friend sent her application with academic. hope she can accept same as you. so far visa office didn't say anything might be a good news.
thanks for your share anyways, now I have some hope for her.

dude

Jun 12, 2009
I am sure it will be accepted. The same doubt I had when I applied but I did'nt have any problem. They gave me 14 points out of 16. I culd'nt manage to get 6.5 in one topic that's why it became 14. Academic exam is more tough and so it don't make sense in saying higher exam will not be accepted. So be happy...academic will be accepted.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dude, you can't guarantee other people that their IO will do what your IO did. Immigration clearly asks for General training. If you had gotten a picky IO in a bad mood, they could have refused your academic.

Still, I have heard of a few people who've applied with academic and had it accepted so I'd say if you didn't take it already, take the general training but if you already took academic and it's less than a year old, take your chances with it.

dude

Jun 12, 2009
They are saying General training in the sense that it is "enough". In my view, for every applicant same rules are applicable rather than saying its dependent on each IO. I don't think its like that... otherwise they would have mentioned it specifically in the main website. So, as somebody suggested, if its not necessary then go for General cuz there is no need to do a tough exam. If my case was accepted then this should be applicable to every applicant otherwise what transparency the whole process has got?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is from the Operational manual for skilled workers at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06-eng.pdf section 10.6, page 3:

Note: For the IELTS reading and writing tests, there are ‘General Training' and ‘Academic' options. Only the ‘General Training' tests are accepted for CIC purposes.
The IO's actually have quite a bit of power in the way they handle their cases. Even though it should all be the same, it isn't. I don't remember anybody from here who was refused with Academic but if the IO wanted to, they could.

dude

Jun 12, 2009
Leon, you are clear about your opinion but since I got accepted I guess others also should be given the same preference. Anyways, let each one decide. I said my case cuz I have gone thru the tension whether academic will be accepted or not. I had done academic thinking that its a superior exam and will be accepted for both cases.