+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

General Landing Queries

aempath

Feb 20, 2017
Hi All,

This forum has been a huge help and support so far. Thanks especially to those who have been posting their experiences.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. Can anyone suggest a health insurance that they purchased for the first 3 months as we will be landing in Toronto? I checked online but there are huge variations in the costs.
  2. Once we arrive there, we are planning on staying in Mississauga for the first weeks. Do you think it will be easy for us to get around by bus in the initial days till we sort out our drivers license etc and purchase a car? (Keeping in mind that it will be around November or December and we will be looking around for renting an apartment)
  3. Was it difficult for others to find a good apartment for rent within 1 month of landing?
Thank you all!

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
1 - Personally, I purchased a policy from Tugo. It cost me C$150. Here's a link: https://www.tugo.com/en/travel-insurance/visitors-to-canada/
2 - I'm not a Mississauga resident, but I believe the transport network is sufficient for your needs. You might even hold off on buying a car
3 - Experiences vary; for some yes, for others no. My advice? Get an airbnb for the 1st month. Within that time, interact with your host, they'll give you advice on which areas you should consider and why while you do your research as well, then make a decision. Also, inquire from the host if they're open to a long term lease of the place (so you have to keep this in mind as you explore places on the website), if they are may be you can work out an agreement. The beauty with airbnb is the host no longer regards you as a stranger, so if they're willing to do a long term arrangement, they won't hesitate as much as some guy you just called off craiglist.

All the best