+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCMS shows 'Security Screening' and waiting... - let's gather here!

Sugar2016

Jul 21, 2016
From what i have learned by searching this forum:

CIC has risk profiles based on multiple factors - Nationality, Travel History, Age, employment history etc. If you are deemed high risk then this triggers Security Screening.

Security Screening is designed to assess an individual for war crimes, crimes against humanity, organized crime and/or security related concerns.

Time to clear will depend on getting information from various agencies - both Canadian and international. Obviously if you are from Syria, Libya & Iran etc then it will take longer for them to gather and process the information.

As database searches are involved, I can only imagine that if certain unsavory people are having similar names & DOB then this can cause further delays in clearing your case.

https://www.csis.gc.ca/scrtscrnng/index-en.php

Last edited:
Reactions: RezJay

Heathcliff77

May 2, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa VO
Doc's Request.
13-01-2017
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
Maybe extensive traveling? Do you guys have extensive traveling history? And maybe it could be country of origin/residence (I mean I'm from Pakistan so that could be a reason). One thing I see common between me and you is the Visa Office (Ottawa) and FSW- O. Could be a pattern...

8 months?! Dang! That's a bummer

Well I'm FSWO, Middleeastern, with a past 'mandatory' military service, but I have like no travel history and absolutely no reason to trigger any security concerns.

Sugar2016

Jul 21, 2016
Well I'm FSWO, Middleeastern, with a past 'mandatory' military service, but I have like no travel history and absolutely no reason to trigger any security concerns.
Unfortunately military history & middle eastern background are likely to be obvious risk factors for security screening.

Sugar2016

Jul 21, 2016
same here brother my BG check went in progress on March 28, and since then no update. i dont have GCMS notes but the Case specific inquiry says that additional BG checks are required. so i think i am selected for security screening too. my application just entered its 8 month
Might be worth ordering GCMS notes to see what exactly is causing the delay.

RezJay

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
30-12-2016
Doc's Request.
12-01-2017
AOR Received.
30-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Re Meds April '18
Passport Req..
May 2018
VISA ISSUED...
May 2018
same here brother my BG check went in progress on March 28, and since then no update. i dont have GCMS notes but the Case specific inquiry says that additional BG checks are required. so i think i am selected for security screening too. my application just entered its 8 month
Do you have extensive traveling history on top of being Pakistani ?

RezJay

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
30-12-2016
Doc's Request.
12-01-2017
AOR Received.
30-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Re Meds April '18
Passport Req..
May 2018
VISA ISSUED...
May 2018
From what i have learned by searching this forum:

CIC has risk profiles based on multiple factors - Nationality, Travel History, Age, employment history etc. If you are deemed high risk then this triggers Security Screening.

Security Screening is designed to assess an individual for war crimes, crimes against humanity, organized crime and/or security related concerns.

Time to clear will depend on getting information from various agencies - both Canadian and international. Obviously if you are from Syria, Libya & Iran etc then it will take longer for them to gather and process the information.

As database searches are involved, I can only imagine that if certain unsavory people are having similar names & DOB then this can cause further delays in clearing your case.
I've done my research on Security Screening aswell. The only reason that I can think of for me is extensive traveling, and some of those travels are to countries that might be a cause of concern for CIC. Otherwise my background is absolutely clear as far as I am concerned...

Reactions: Sugar2016

RezJay

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
30-12-2016
Doc's Request.
12-01-2017
AOR Received.
30-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Re Meds April '18
Passport Req..
May 2018
VISA ISSUED...
May 2018
Unfortunately military history & middle eastern background are likely to be obvious risk factors for security screening.
I agree with her assessment on this. Also, Sugar 2016, whydo you reckon you were selected for Security Screening?

Sugar2016

Jul 21, 2016
This is what i see on my GCMS notes as of mid April. Im assuming that Activity 1 & Activity 2 relate to database searches/information sharing with other agencies.

I have seen some other GCMS notes with about 5-8 of these activities, so im speculating that im roughly about half way complete. So perhaps my application will get completed within the 6 month period.

ACTIVITY: 1
UCI: xxxx
Name: xxxx
Sub-Activity/Activity Type: Security Screening
Field Name: Status

ACTIVITY: 2
UCI: xxxxx
Name: xxxxx

ACTIVITY: 3
Sub-Activity/Activity Type:Security Screening
New Value: Not Started
Updated Date: 2017/03/xx
Updated By: 00xxxxx
Office: CPC-Ottawa

Last edited:

RezJay

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
30-12-2016
Doc's Request.
12-01-2017
AOR Received.
30-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Re Meds April '18
Passport Req..
May 2018
VISA ISSUED...
May 2018
This is what i see on my GCMS notes as of mid April. Im assuming that Activity 1 & Activity 2 relate to database searches/information sharing with other agencies.

I have seen some other GCMS notes with about 5-8 of these activities, so im speculating that im roughly about half way complete. So perhaps my application will get completed within the 6 month period.

Mine reflects exactly the same situation. 3 activities reflected and exact same progress.

RezJay

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
30-12-2016
Doc's Request.
12-01-2017
AOR Received.
30-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Re Meds April '18
Passport Req..
May 2018
VISA ISSUED...
May 2018
S
Mine reflects exactly the same situation. 3 activities reflected and exact same progress.
So basically what we share to be so' randomly' selected for Screening is our country of origin..

happybelly

Mar 29, 2017
INLAND
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
AOR Received.
03-Jan-2017
Med's Done....
25-Feb-2017

my is similar, except my activity 3 updated date is 2017/05.

I am from China, and have no travel history to any of red flag countries. I have no idea why I could be chosen to run the security check.

AOR Jan 3, EE-CEC inland.

Does that mean I have to wait at least extra 6 months to 1 year?

That really sucks~~

Sugar2016

Jul 21, 2016
my is similar, except my activity 3 updated date is 2017/05..........Does that mean I have to wait at least extra 6 months to 1 year?
That really sucks~~
Your activity 3 date suggests that your SS has only started in May. So unfortunately this could mean you have many more months of waiting left :(

I saw from your other posts that your GCMS mentioned "Due date: 2017/06/18"

Might be worth ordering another set of notes shortly after this date.