+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCMS shows 'Security Screening' and waiting... - let's gather here!

whiterabbit

Apr 4, 2019
That’s because call center agents do not know if Security Screening already started, they’ll just know if Security is already done/ passed! That’s from my own experience of calling them!
They do know. Three times I was told that security was in progress, and all three agents told me the exact date when it had been initiated. CBSA notes confirmed that date.

They don't know the type of the screening, so they can't predict the timeline.

Reactions: EE12345

carlotanching

Jun 27, 2017
They do know. Three times I was told that security was in progress, and all three agents told me the exact date when it had been initiated. CBSA notes confirmed that date.

They don't know the type of the screening, so they can't predict the timeline.
What do you mean by- they dont know the type of screening? im talking about Security Check!

Thats based from my own experience on calling them- I asked them if my security screen already started- they always said- no but the next I heard was I already completed Security check and just awaiting review by an officer for PPR.

What stage are you at now? Thanks

whiterabbit

Apr 4, 2019
What do you mean by- they dont know the type of screening? im talking about Security Check!

Thats based from my own experience on calling them- I asked them if my security screen already started- they always said- no but the next I heard was I already completed Security check and just awaiting review by an officer for PPR.

What stage are you at now? Thanks
Everybody passes through security screening by CBSA. The thing is that regular security screening (which you and many people call "security checks") normally takes from several days to several weeks, whereas comprehensive security screening (most people call it "security screening") can take from 4 months to a couple of years.

In your particular case, you went through a normal screening which probably took something like a week. That's why when you called IRCC for the first time the status was "not started", and then it became "passed" - CBSA managed to start and complete it between your calls.

I'm not that lucky, so I got into comprehensive SS. It was started in the beginning of April and still ongoing. That's why when I called in May, June and July, agents told me that my security was in progress.

carlotanching

Jun 27, 2017
Everybody passes through security screening by CBSA. The thing is that regular security screening (which you and many people call "security checks") normally takes from several days to several weeks, whereas comprehensive security screening (most people call it "security screening") can take from 4 months to a couple of years.

In your particular case, you went through a normal screening which probably took something like a week. That's why when you called IRCC for the first time the status was "not started", and then it became "passed" - CBSA managed to start and complete it between your calls.

I'm not that lucky, so I got into comprehensive SS. It was started in the beginning of April and still ongoing. That's why when I called in May, June and July, agents told me that my security was in progress.
Are you sure with what you said?? All PR applicants undergo comprehensive screening and also, if its bormal screening then why did it take me 8 months from the time I had pre arrival and passed other screenings.

And also im for PPR anytime soon. Thanks

whiterabbit

Apr 4, 2019
Are you sure with what you said?? All PR applicants undergo comprehensive screening and also, if its bormal screening then why did it take me 8 months from the time I had pre arrival and passed other screenings.

And also im for PPR anytime soon. Thanks
Man, I don't get you.

All the applicants go through the screening. Proof: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/screen-verific-eng.html

How did you know that you'd been under comprehensive SS for 8 months? The only way to know it is to order CBSA notes to find out the type of your screening and the date when it was intiated. Did you order them?

Generally, agents can see if a file is currently processed by CBSA and tell you that your security is in progress. I was told it three times as I mentioned before.

Speaking about your case - the fact that you pass one particular stage doesn't make your file go straight to the next stage automatically. It often happens that files can wait for review by an officer to be sent to background check for months. For example, one guy passed criminality more than half a year ago and waited with "criminality - passed, eligibility - not started, security - not started" status for 6 months. Then he passed eligibility during several days, then security in a couple of days, and - boom! - he gets PPR.

So the fact that everything but security was passed, and you got to wait for 8 months, doesnt' mean that IRCC/CBSA/CSIS perfofrmed comprehensive security screening on your file. It may simply mean that nobody took care of your case and nothing more.

carlotanching

Jun 27, 2017
Man, I don't get you.

All the applicants go through the screening. Proof: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/screen-verific-eng.html

How did you know that you'd been under comprehensive SS for 8 months? The only way to know it is to order CBSA notes to find out the type of your screening and the date when it was intiated. Did you order them?

Generally, agents can see if a file is currently processed by CBSA and tell you that your security is in progress. I was told it three times as I mentioned before.

Speaking about your case - the fact that you pass one particular stage doesn't make your file go straight to the next stage automatically. It often happens that files can wait for review by an officer to be sent to background check for months. For example, one guy passed criminality more than half a year ago and waited with "criminality - passed, eligibility - not started, security - not started" status for 6 months. Then he passed eligibility during several days, then security in a couple of days, and - boom! - he gets PPR.

So the fact that everything but security was passed, and you got to wait for 8 months, doesnt' mean that IRCC/CBSA/CSIS perfofrmed comprehensive security screening on your file. It may simply mean that nobody took care of your case and nothing more.
I just called them last friday and the agent told me that I already passed all the screening, latest is the Security. She also told me that I just need to wait for the final review of an officer, and it will be a PPR. If nobody took care of my case then Why i am able to pass all the screenings?? So they just passed me even without a review? Is that what you mean? Thanks

duckondock

Star Member
Aug 23, 2019
Man, I don't get you.

how did you confirm your SS started at July 2nd not May 6 when Security check started? from note which has the exact date ? it seems a big gap between normal security check to SS ??? or SS just started at May which you are not aware of (and think it is the date of normal security check)?

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Apr 4, 2019
I just called them last friday and the agent told me that I already passed all the screening, latest is the Security. She also told me that I just need to wait for the final review of an officer, and it will be a PPR. If nobody took care of my case then Why i am able to pass all the screenings?? So they just passed me even without a review? Is that what you mean? Thanks
Ok, let's start from the beginning.
There are three stages one has to pass to get PPR (actually, more than three, but these three are the most noticeable): eligibility, criminality, security. If everything is ok, the actual review of each stage can take several days, but waiting time between these reviews can be months. That's what I mean saying "nobody cares".

So if you didn't call once a month or smth like that, you will never know what was going on with your case until you order GCMS or CBSA notes - there you will be able to see everything that has happened to your case since you created your application.

There may be many scenarios why you passed everything only after 8 months:
- IRCC didn't have time for your case and has started all the stages recently
Or
- you got RR on your eligibility, IRCC officers worked it out a couple of weeks ago, CBSA didn't send your case to the comprehensive SS and finalized security checks in several days/weeks
Or
- your eligibility was passed in a couple of months after AOR, CBSA wanted to check security carefully (comprehensive SS), everything was passed a month ago, and now you're waiting for an officer to pick up your file
Or
- your eligibility was passed right before the 6 months deadline, but the file was sent to CBSA a little bit later, and when CBSA returned it, nobody cared about your file anymore - it was out of KPI
Or
- any reason that could've caused some delay in processing of your application :)

My point is that without notes you can't confirm the fact of comprehensive security screening. And right now you just have to wait for a final review - it may happen any day now :)

whiterabbit

Apr 4, 2019
how did you confirm your SS started at July 2nd not May 6 when Security check started? from note which has the exact date ? it seems a big gap between normal security check to SS ??? or it just started at May which you are not aware of ?
Emmm... When did I say that I don't know the date? Why do you think my SS started in July? Check my signature, it was initiated on the 8th of April.

First, I confirmed the day when my security checks were started - I simply asked an agent about it. Then I got the type of screening (comprehensive) from CBSA notes. Nothing hard.

Regular security checks (normal security screening) take from a couple of days to a couple of months. Comprehensive security screening takes 4-20 months (6-8 months currently).

duckondock

Star Member
Aug 23, 2019
Emmm... When did I say that I don't know the date? Why do you think my SS started in July? Check my signature, it was initiated on the 8th of April.

First, I confirmed the day when my security checks were started - I simply asked an agent about it. Then I got the type of screening (comprehensive) from CBSA notes. Nothing hard.

Regular security checks (normal security screening) take from a couple of days to a couple of months. Comprehensive security screening takes 4-20 months (6-8 months currently).
yeah, I did check your signature before sending previous post. I did not say you do not know the dates.

But you have 3 dates ( May 6, May 30, July 2) for Security Check in signature which is quite confusing, what does that mean? Which date is for what? I guess the date of SS is the earlier one you checked which can also be confirmed by notes if you have ordered.

Glad to see there are short SS for 4 months only. I see most cases are 10-12months.

I am inland and simple background (at least I think it is objectively), hopefully, it will be passed soon.

Last edited:

carlotanching

Jun 27, 2017
Ok, let's start from the beginning.
There are three stages one has to pass to get PPR (actually, more than three, but these three are the most noticeable): eligibility, criminality, security. If everything is ok, the actual review of each stage can take several days, but waiting time between these reviews can be months. That's what I mean saying "nobody cares".

So if you didn't call once a month or smth like that, you will never know what was going on with your case until you order GCMS or CBSA notes - there you will be able to see everything that has happened to your case since you created your application.

There may be many scenarios why you passed everything only after 8 months:
- IRCC didn't have time for your case and has started all the stages recently
Or
- you got RR on your eligibility, IRCC officers worked it out a couple of weeks ago, CBSA didn't send your case to the comprehensive SS and finalized security checks in several days/weeks
Or
- your eligibility was passed in a couple of months after AOR, CBSA wanted to check security carefully (comprehensive SS), everything was passed a month ago, and now you're waiting for an officer to pick up your file
Or
- your eligibility was passed right before the 6 months deadline, but the file was sent to CBSA a little bit later, and when CBSA returned it, nobody cared about your file anymore - it was out of KPI
Or
- any reason that could've caused some delay in processing of your application :)

My point is that without notes you can't confirm the fact of comprehensive security screening. And right now you just have to wait for a final review - it may happen any day now :)
Thanks. Do you mean final review and finally PPR soon? Thanks

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019

Hello Whiterabbit. Just read your text that '...security screening could go up to a couple of years'. I will not doubt or argue it because no one give a definite timeline or end date for security screening.
But if that is valid, I will have to alter my plans and move on rather than depending on application completion or PPR. This is because my application is also just waiting in security screening for quite a long time. I just came to know about that via. MP and call center agents. I have not ordered a CBSA/ CSIS notes as yet. They may give a tentative completion date, but not a guarantee that it will get completed in that time I think.

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
Hullo. I have read that CBSA/ CSIS notes give a tentative completion date to complete their security check. How reliable is this date? Do they complete near that timeframe?

Also, I am reading that security screening may go on up to a couple of years too? Could that be possible too?

whiterabbit

Apr 4, 2019
Thanks. Do you mean final review and finally PPR soon? Thanks
Yes, if all the stages are passed, the only thing left is the final review. There may be one more struggle: if your medical exam is about to expire, the officer will consider medical exam extension or request another medical exam. But, in general, yes, your file is just waiting for an officer to be finalized. Of course if an agent told you the truth and everything is passed :)

The only problem is that this "waiting for final review" can last for a long time. Don't worry, if you passed literally everything, you just need a little bit more patience now, there is no risk of rejection.

whiterabbit

Apr 4, 2019
But you have 3 dates ( May 6, May 30, July 2) for Security Check in signature which is quite confusing, what does that mean? Which date is for what? I guess the date of SS is the earlier one you checked which can also be confirmed by notes if you have ordered.
Oh, thanks, I'd better change my signature if it's that confusing. I had added this dates before I knew that I was under comprehensive security screening - these are just the dates I called IRCC and got security status "in progress". In other words, in these days I just checked the status to know if security was still ongoing :)

Reactions: duckondock