+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCMS notes received today

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
(For context: this is a response to content, not a reply to the OP.)

I for once am very interested in his posts and do not mind their length. In fact, I trust his posts and their accuracy more than anybody else's posts on this forum and am very grateful for all the insights he gives us.
Thank you.

But, of course, I am no expert. Contrary to unfounded and totally erroneous insinuations, albeit largely by those tending to be blatantly unreliable and non-credible, I have never been employed by the Canadian government let alone CIC or IRCC, or otherwise professionally involved in immigration matters (outside some incidental involvement in a very small number of cases many decades ago which were not related to Canada in any way).

I do make mistakes. Over the course of many years following and commenting on a number of citizenship and PR related issues (initially rooted in and derived from, but not exclusively, interests related to issues in my own case), I have had to correct more than a few misconceptions and outright mistakes I have made. Thus, while I make a concerted effort to be accurate, to do the homework, to think and approach things from a perspective outside a narcissistic box, to take into account and duly consider many sources of information, and to exercise critical reasoning in my analysis and observations, despite all that, it needs to be emphasized that I am NO expert and not an authoritative source, that what I post should also be approached with the proverbial grain-of-salt.

And, I confess to leaning more in favour of boring narratives rather than being misleading or erroneous.

Speaking of misleading or erroneous:

In reference to the idea that GCMS notes can indicate that the criminality [check] is passed . . . at least for sure it is passed:

Actually IRCC will continue to do additional GCMS checks, including FOSS checks, which includes doing criminal name-record checks, right up to the time the oath is scheduled. Apart from and in addition to the initial GCMS clearance, and the initial, official RCMP clearance, IRCC will do this at the least, probably, two more times (except for those who are scheduled to take the oath concurrently with being scheduled for the test, then perhaps only once more). Moreover, depending on how long processing takes, the RCMP clearance itself is sometimes subject to a referral for an update. Additionally, before being allowed to take the oath of citizenship, the applicant must again affirm (usually in writing) there have been no criminal charges made and there are no criminal charges pending (along with affirming there are no other prohibitions).

Apart from that, here too there will be nothing of use learned from an indication in the GCMS that the criminality check has been completed. Applicants know if they have been arrested or charged with criminal offenses. They know if they have a criminal conviction. They know and if they have, then they must disclose that fact to IRCC. The criminal clearance will do NO more than confirm what the applicant already knows. That is, there is no need to make an ATIP request to learn whether one will pass the criminality clearance.

In other words:
Re.: criminality test: I assume that anybody applying for citizenship does know very well whether there are any skeletons in the closet or not. If they have a reason to be afraid, then I can see the point in trying to figure out whether they slipped through the system. Otherwise, why would there be a reason for not passing the criminality check at some point?
Precisely.

References to "visa office" and what the "visa office" knows or does not know (such as whether the applicant has made an ATIP request):

Regardless what some visa office official might know regarding an individual applying for Permanent Residence in Canada, which is largely irrelevant here (IRCC may examine and consider the applicant's history including any visa office processing of the applicant's PR application, but that is largely outside the scope of what is routinely considered by the local citizenship office in the course of IRCC processing a citizenship application), any event involving access to GCMS is recorded in GCMS, including access to generate a copy in response to an ATIP request as well as access by a call centre agent pursuant to a client's inquiries. The information is there. Whether or not a processing agent (such as the person conducting the documents-check interview) or the citizenship officer (who makes a definitive decision to grant citizenship or not) will take notice of such events probably varies, and if they do take notice, it is far from clear how that might effect their approach to the applicant. My guess is that it will rarely have much if any impact. But nonetheless the information is there.

It is simply wrong to assert otherwise.

Even a call centre agent accessing an individual's GCMS records can see the record-entry for these events in GCMS.

Otherwise, generally there are no VISA Offices involved in processing a citizenship application unless the local IRCC citizenship office processing the citizenship application has made a referral to a visa office to make inquiries or conduct an investigation abroad; that would involve non-routine processing and does not arise in the vast majority of routinely processed citizenship applications.

Hint: if this happens, the report generated for the client in response to an ATIP request is not likely to so much as intimate this has happened. That information will fall under the confidential umbrella for investigatory actions and not be shared with the applicant. An inordinate delay in processing will be the applicant's primary clue that something like this might be happening.

Burden of ATIP requests versus legal right to make ATIP request:

There are circumstances in which an applicant would be wise to make an ATIP request. While these are few and far between, doing this and getting a timely response can be important in some cases. IRCC has given notice that it has, indeed, been burdened by an unusual number of such requests and that therefore it might not be meeting its service objectives.

But sure, there is no law against taking, so to say, a narcissistic Mickey Mouse approach to things. In contrast, however, for most of those pursuing a path to Canadian citizenship, this is a big and important step in their life. They take it, and becoming an in-fact citizen, seriously. It is no Disney cartoon. In particular, there is the more mature, responsible citizen approach, which will take into consideration that this service, this means for obtaining access to one's personal records, should not be frivolously abused, with at least some consideration given for not unduly burdening access by those who really need it (for one of any in a range of potentially good reasons).

Again, overall, for legitimate, qualified applicants there is little or no reason to make the ATIP request for records related to processing the citizenship application. Ordinarily, generally, the ATIP request will not accelerate processing, not at all. The ATIP request is not much if at all likely to provide any actionable information.

Reason weighs heavily in favour of taking a mature, responsible citizen approach to these things.

I will post further observations about if and when it would be prudent to make an ATIP application for copy of personal records:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
(For context: again, likewise, this is a response to content, not a reply to the OP.)

If and when it would be prudent to make an ATIP application for copy of personal records:

In some cases it would indeed be prudent to apply for and obtain a copy of one's personal records. Doing so may be the wise thing to do for those who have encountered an inordinately long delay (as measured by overall time-lines, not narcissistic impatient expectations), or those who may be bogged down in non-routine processing the reason for which is indecipherable (most applicants, however, should have a clue why and anticipated this), or those who have some cause to apprehend that there is some erroneous information poisoning their file (which does happen, unfortunately), that is, applicants with genuine concerns and cause to make an ATIP request.

In which case, however, the generic electronic version is still, largely, of little or no use. These applicants, those who have a genuine reason for seeking a copy of what IRCC has on file in their case, are more likely to obtain useful information by doing a lot of homework before composing a carefully worded customized application seeking particular information. That is not easy. My sense is that even a lot of lawyers with citizenship case experience are not likely to be particularly adept doing this, and not likely to encourage doing it. (Lawyers tend to have more experience with formal judicial discovery procedures, in which the law imposes requirements for interpreting and responding to requests broadly; in contrast, ATI and ATIP requests tend to be narrowly and strictly interpreted leading to rather narrow and limited responses, other than when the bureaucracy does a huge document dump of almost entirely generic, insubstantial, already widely known information.)

Investigative journalists probably have the most experience and skill in crafting probing access-to-information requests, but of course generally they are not available for hire in personal cases.

In making such an application it is imperative to get the nomenclature perfectly correct. Like bureaucracies in general, IRCC tends to approach these requests strictly, sometimes appearing to be hyper-technical (request for information from a "visa office," for example, will likely be strictly limited to information from a visa office, and no other IRCC offices), tending to release only that information which is very specifically requested. In contrast, IRCC tends to take a liberal approach to the redaction of information. In the meantime, broad requests, such as a request for all a person's records "in GCMS," are likely to generate only the standard report for a particular application. The latter, again, is not likely to include much if any useful information.

Making a useful ATIP or ATI request demands a concerted effort supported by a lot of homework. In contrast to the widespread excessive number of generic ATIP applications, for virtually nothing, there appear to actually be rather few skilled, craftily composed applications considering the number of applicants whose case is off-the-rails and in difficulty. But this is no surprise. Many of those whose case has gone off-the-rails, or is otherwise in difficulty, failed to do their homework upfront or were otherwise taking short-cuts, and are not likely to change their ways mid-process.

The best preparation is upfront, before applying, beginning with keeping an exact record of all cross-border travels, and taking a lot more into consideration before applying than merely the fact that, by the prospective applicant's own accounting, the minimum threshold of physical presence has been met.

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
If any one wants to learn more about GCMS or previously called CAIPS can read these links. It takes a lot of time to read and go through and there are hell of things in there. I would advise people to please go through the following links. It will tell you the importance of these notes and how vital they are.. These notes are the back bone of your applicationThank you

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/latest-caips-gcms-notes-forms-and-how-to-order.99210/

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-order-caips-notes.72568/

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
LOL...You are so illiterate who doesn't even know what GCMS is and what details it gives. You just heard a word criminality and to save yourself you are now arguing how it helps etc etc and how it speeds up ? Kid go and read first what GCMS is really about and what exactly it tells and then come talk to me. Do not waste my time..I am not interested in educating some one who is arrogant and who doesn't want to believe or learn any thing..

Best I can do is I can provide this link to an illiterate like you to get some knowledge about GCMS. Go and read it and then come talk to me.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/latest-caips-gcms-notes-forms-and-how-to-order.99210/
You missed the point...how does it speed up your process?

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the very useful thread. It was very interesting to see how the notes look like. I just became "in process" last week so I am at the very start of this tunnel, but it is very comforting to know that this information tool exists in case my file gets stuck down the road in a black hole.:eek:

Best of success! I will keep an eye on your timeline!

Reactions: mickey_mouse

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
Thanks for the very useful thread. It was very interesting to see how the notes look like. I just became "in process" last week so I am at the very start of this tunnel, but it is very comforting to know that this information tool exists in case my file gets stuck down the road in a black hole.:eek:

Best of success! I will keep an eye on your timeline!
Hey thanks.. There is a lot of information inside. I tell you when I had ordered GCMS 4 years ago it helped me immensely. I tell you how. Because PR process was more lengthy and complicated and there are many things involved in that. There is some thing called BFD or bring forward date in GCMS of PR visa applicants, mean when your file will be viewed next time by immigration officer. This is the exact date which only GCMS tells you and case specific enquiry deosn't reveal that. Also if job verification is gonna happen, GCMS also tells about that. In my GCMS notes there were small digits like s16(1)(c) presenting act s16(1)(c). I reserached on that and I found out it meant they are going to verify job and it did happen to me actually. GCMS also tells about if all checks are completed like secuirty, criminality, eligibility etc. There are others things also like location of file, file transfer date, name of person dealing with file. I also remember that I helped other people decoding their GCMS notes and I told them in advance after seeing their GCMS that their job will be verified or interview is required. All in all its very interesting and if you master how to decode GCMS , you know 90% of inside of your case, I am serious.

That is why I ordered my GCMS for citizenship and as I explained before I have come to know exactly where my file is and what is happening. There are acts like s21 and s22(1)(b) in my GCMS which means they have hidden some info under such acts (Some information is whited out). Mostly it means security check is underway and prohibitions check; they are hiding information regarding that. I tell you if you pass security and prohibitions then you are done. Any one can easily pass other checks like eligibilty, language, residence etc. Two main hurdles are security and prohibitions. Some people on this forum reported that although they got decision made but prohibitions still under way and its taking lot of time to clear those checks.

Also another interesting thing is Refusal Grounds and Triage. They are also important. Some applicants got stuck there

All in all its very useful and as I said if you decode it all then you know exactly whats going on .And if you have decoded your GCMS before test/inteview it can help in that as well. I mean if they have any concerns about your file, GCMS shows that and you can be prepared for that in interview. You know what I mean...Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Katayoon

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017
Hey thanks.. There is a lot of information inside. I tell you when I had ordered GCMS 4 years ago it helped me immensely. I tell you how. Because PR process was more lengthy and complicated and there are many things involved in that. There is some thing called BFD or bring forward date in GCMS of PR visa applicants, mean when your file will be viewed next time by immigration officer. This is the exact date which only GCMS tells you and case specific enquiry deosn't reveal that. Also if job verification is gonna happen, GCMS also tells about that. In my GCMS notes there were small digits like s16(1)(c) presenting act s16(1)(c). I reserached on that and I found out it meant they are going to verify job and it did happen to me actually. GCMS also tells about if all checks are completed like secuirty, criminality, eligibility etc. There are others things also like location of file, file transfer date, name of person dealing with file. I also remember that I helped other people decoding their GCMS notes and I told them in advance after seeing their GCMS that their job will be verified or interview is required. All in all its very interesting and if you master how to decode GCMS , you know 90% of inside of your case, I am serious.

That is why I ordered my GCMS for citizenship and as I explained before I have come to know exactly where my file is and what is happening. There are acts like s21 and s22(1)(b) in my GCMS which means they have hidden some info under such acts (Some information is whited out). Mostly it means security check is underway and prohibitions check; they are hiding information regarding that. I tell you if you pass security and prohibitions then you are done. Any one can easily pass other checks like eligibilty, language, residence etc. Two main hurdles are security and prohibitions. Some people on this forum reported that although they got decision made but prohibitions still under way and its taking lot of time to clear those checks.

Also another interesting thing is Refusal Grounds and Triage. They are also important. Some applicants got stuck there

All in all its very useful and as I said if you decode it all then you know exactly whats going on .And if you have decoded your GCMS before test/inteview it can help in that as well. I mean if they have any concerns about your file, GCMS shows that and you can be prepared for that in interview. You know what I mean...Good luck

I am with you on this one. GCMS notes are immensely helpful. The whole argument about "burdening" the government is flawed at the very core. This is a facility by the government of Canada and it boasts the fact that it is an open and transparent government. That is why we all love Canada. Requesting GCMS is NOT a burden on the government. There are already scores of ATIP analysts in every department for this very reason. And as per regulations, if there is actually a cost involved in making copies / pulling information, the ATIP analyst will reach out to you and ask you to pay. This is allowed under regulations and routinely happens with journalists who request immense amount of data, or academics, who are conducting research. Will probably never happy to an individual. If I were you, I would order GCMS every 30 days, until my Application is complete. If you are not doing it, in my humble view, you are not pursuing all your avenues and are, at least partially, responsible for the delay.

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
I am with you on this one. GCMS notes are immensely helpful. The whole argument about "burdening" the government is flawed at the very core. This is a facility by the government of Canada and it boasts the fact that it is an open and transparent government. That is why we all love Canada. Requesting GCMS is NOT a burden on the government. There are already scores of ATIP analysts in every department for this very reason. And as per regulations, if there is actually a cost involved in making copies / pulling information, the ATIP analyst will reach out to you and ask you to pay. This is allowed under regulations and routinely happens with journalists who request immense amount of data, or academics, who are conducting research. Will probably never happy to an individual. If I were you, I would order GCMS every 30 days, until my Application is complete. If you are not doing it, in my humble view, you are not pursuing all your avenues and are, at least partially, responsible for the delay.
Thanks!!

zain92

Nov 27, 2012
if i apply for gcms notes for urgent so is there any way i can receive with in week . i applied online for my parents trv but rejected ?

mauritiusbride

Star Member
Aug 22, 2015
This is not true. Department processing GCMS is different from IRCC. IRCC won't even know if you had ordered GCMS. I am saying this after lot of research and sources and I have tried it before..

May be she was just trying to make things simple for you...

and its a common sense, tell me why would it cause delay ? it is some thing that is allowed legally and it is under privacy act ? doesnt make sense it would cause delay. Under privacy act , every one has the right to know information about their files, moreover things they don't want you to know they remove (hide it) from GCMS and they put whitener on that. Hope you understand what i am saying..

just use your own mind and decide
hi dnt know if u coume online or not..
but want some info
Got my GCMS notes today

I got my GCMS notes today. I ordered on 14 July just to see whats happening.

They are retrieved on 08 August 2017 so information is latest as of 08 August 2017

Main points noted

1) My case processing office. Missisauga

2) Test ready tagged (means sooner or later I will be called for test ) I guess they send out invitations according to positions in queue and determine test eligibility just after first eligibility is passed

3) Criminality is passed while security is not and still in progress

4) Intent to stay, Language, Prohibitions (not started) I guess they are determined after the test

So all in all I got above info and it is still useful and I got all info free of charge. It took 30 days to receive these notes

Person dealing with my case is "Eiamel"

to order these notes this is the link

https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do?lang=en

it takes 30 days to get it

Note. It is absolutely not necessary to order these notes. They are just to tell you whats happening...
hi just a question..finally when did u get the test ???.

DepNG

Jun 30, 2019
App. Filed.......
25-04-2019
AOR Received.
08-06-2019
File Transfer...
09-10-2019
Med's Request
18-06-2019
Med's Done....
20-06-2019
“Case held as per Back Office Program”
What does this exactly mean guys? Anybody had the same or an idea about it?

Smileforu

Jan 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2010
Doc's Request.
April 2010
File Transfer...
April 2010 ! March 2012 6-12 months wait letter
I received ATIP notes as well and nothing outstanding except due date is Jan 2020 ? Application submitted in Oct 2018...not sure what is causing delay. Visa office is Edmonton