Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Still waiting for test.

So I called the agent just now and he said, everything is good with my application and just asked to wait for next steps. There is nothing I could do now, that's what he said.

He said, that my paper file is still with Sydney even after 2 years. I asked if it could be transferred and he said most of the files are processed online so he said don't worry about it. I guess, I have to just wait. No more options. :)
Did you think on changing address to trigger transfer?
2 years its too much time.
I thought why my file was not transferred for 6 months and yours is too deviant from other applications.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

I can't remember exactly, but someone mentioned in few forums that the GCMS notes clearly says whether the application is Routine (or) Non-Routine. I received my GCMS notes, but I could not find this information. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

and also why it says primary office as Sydney and secondary as Scarbro. I thought primary office would be Scarbro once it is transferred. I am confused.
As I have noted rather often, sometimes perhaps too critically, I am no fan of all these ATIP requests for copies of GCMS records. To my view they are largely useless.

For the vast majority of qualified applicants, as long as periodic checking of application status confirms the application is "in process," there is not much, if anything more, for the applicant to do but watch for notices or requests from IRCC, and WAIT. Odds are remote that GCMS notes will illuminate any information that will help the applicant make decisions, take action, or predict how much longer it will be.

To reiterate what I have also said elsewhere, the triage criteria is simply a checklist of factors or circumstances (set out in the File Requirements Checklist) a processing agent is directed to consider in deciding whether there is a reason-to-question-residency. We know a fair bit about the triage criteria, but NOT precisely what it is now, since this is confidential information not shared with the public (and not even with Federal Court justices handling citizenship cases). No need to scour GCMS notes in regards to this. If the triage criteria triggers a concern, the applicant will find out in due course (at or following test) when the applicant gets a RQ-related request for additional evidence.

hamid_bashir

Star Member
Aug 28, 2014
Hello,

I can't remember exactly, but someone mentioned in few forums that the GCMS notes clearly says whether the application is Routine (or) Non-Routine. I received my GCMS notes, but I could not find this information. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

and also why it says primary office as Sydney and secondary as Scarbro. I thought primary office would be Scarbro once it is transferred. I am confused.
Hi It says that in the notes section

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
Yes, on Page 11. It says two records for me without any notes. And one matches with my entry into Canada and second one some random update. Not sure what they mean.

But I renewed my PR last year (after applying for Citizenship and getting AOR), and there is no problem with my PR renewal. I got my new card already. So I guess, it might be some system update.
As far as I can tell, "Refusal" simply means that at the time you were entering Canada there was some consideration of whether to let you in or refuse entry.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
As far as I can tell, "Refusal" simply means that at the time you were entering Canada there was some consideration of whether to let you in or refuse entry.
Got it. But the officer did not mention anything to me. Hope everything goes fine. Let's see.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
As I have noted rather often, sometimes perhaps too critically, I am no fan of all these ATIP requests for copies of GCMS records. To my view they are largely useless.

For the vast majority of qualified applicants, as long as periodic checking of application status confirms the application is "in process," there is not much, if anything more, for the applicant to do but watch for notices or requests from IRCC, and WAIT. Odds are remote that GCMS notes will illuminate any information that will help the applicant make decisions, take action, or predict how much longer it will be.

To reiterate what I have also said elsewhere, the triage criteria is simply a checklist of factors or circumstances (set out in the File Requirements Checklist) a processing agent is directed to consider in deciding whether there is a reason-to-question-residency. We know a fair bit about the triage criteria, but NOT precisely what it is now, since this is confidential information not shared with the public (and not even with Federal Court justices handling citizenship cases). No need to scour GCMS notes in regards to this. If the triage criteria triggers a concern, the applicant will find out in due course (at or following test) when the applicant gets a RQ-related request for additional evidence.
They might be largely useless in your view, but, as you correctly note, that is *your* view. Those of us who order them find some value in them.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
@newbie89 posted in another thread that his GCMS notes clearly mention that the application is 'non-routine'. My notes section is empty. Does that it mean my application is routine (or) yet to decide whether it is routine (or) non-routine. Oh god, this is totally confusing.

At this point, not sure what to blame, whether it is covid (or) my fate. :(

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
@newbie89 posted in another thread that his GCMS notes clearly mention that the application is 'non-routine'. My notes section is empty. Does that it mean my application is routine (or) yet to decide whether it is routine (or) non-routine. Oh god, this is totally confusing.

Yes, we too are totally confused by what you write.

Earlier you wrote that "So I called the agent just now and he said, everything is good with my application and just asked to wait for next steps. There is nothing I could do now, that's what he said."

And given that answer, you decided to come to an internet forum and ask some misplaced questions that nobody here can answer? "Everything is good" by IRCC is not good enough for you? :)

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Yes, we too are totally confused by what you write.

Earlier you wrote that "So I called the agent just now and he said, everything is good with my application and just asked to wait for next steps. There is nothing I could do now, that's what he said."

And given that answer, you decided to come to an internet forum and ask some misplaced questions that nobody here can answer? "Everything is good" by IRCC is not good enough for you? :)
No, it is not good enough, because when I called the agent 4 months back, they said it is Test Ready and it is with Scarbro office. But now they said it is in process with Sydney office (which is same as GCMS). So what to believe, that's why I am totally confused what's going on.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
No, it is not good enough, because when I called the agent 4 months back, they said it is Test Ready and it is with Scarbro office. But now they said it is in process with Sydney office (which is same as GCMS). So what to believe, that's why I am totally confused what's going on.
I see. OK. Maybe someone here will give you an answer that is good enough. Good luck!

Reactions: canvisa13

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I never imagined that applying for citizenship and getting it after qualifying would be a nightmare than getting a chance to get PR nomination. :rolleyes: :oops:

• Sad
Reactions: rubz9911

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

As noted before, if and when you need to do something, to make some decision, to take some action, IRCC will give you notice. As long as it is clear the application is "in process" the applicant's role is to watch for notices or requests, and to WAIT. (Well, the applicant is also required to notify IRCC if there are any changes in the information provided in the application; change of address for example, or being charged with a crime.)

If there is a problem there is no more than a remote chance your copy of GCMS records will illuminate much if anything more than you already know or what you will be notified of by IRCC relatively soon.

Revisiting the "routine" versus "non-routine" label:

Context matters. Unfortunately, anecdotal reports often leave out important context. It warrants noting, for example, that the report by @newbie89 indicates the reference to non-routine is in "notes," which are likely comments made to the file. So, for whatever reason, in some context that is not at all apparent, assuming the report is accurate (noting too that there is very little contextual information regarding the situation reported by @newbie89), someone looking at the application referenced by @newbie89 noted it was "non-routine." Why that note was made, that is not clear. What it means is that agent entering that comment noted something had been done in processing the application that is in addition to what is done in processing all applications (@newbie89 also reports the application is "on hold," which is significant but without more context what that is about is not at all clear).

That does NOT mean that the @newbie89 application has "non-routine" status. As @rajkamalmohanram responded to your OP query:
There are no tags on the GCMS notes that would classify an application as routine or non-routine. Routine/Non-routine is not exactly an application status - It is just an understanding that is based on the facts of the case.

I have noted similarly, in slightly different terms, that the terms "routine" and "non-routine" are merely descriptive. A citizenship application can be described as "non-routine" if there is any action taken on the file that is not in the regular (routine) stream of processing citizenship applications, that is, a procedure that does not apply to all applicants. Just a fingerprint request means the application can be described as "non-routine" because not all applicants get a FP request; but a FP request may actually have very little impact on how things go or how long the processing will take.

SUMMARY: the fact that an application can be described as "non-routine" illuminates very little if anything. What really matters is what about the application is "non-routine." Full blown RQ, problematic, lengthy timeline ahead. FP request, maybe minor bump, maybe a signal of an expanded prohibitions investigation, but usually just a minor bump. Application "on hold," that is a tough one unless and until more context is known.

NOTE: this discussion is one of the main reasons why I dislike how common and frequent these requests for copies of GCMS records have become. More questions are raised than answered by a huge margin, and (with some exceptions) largely unnecessary questions tending to cause distraction and unnecessarily elevate worries among qualified applicants with little no reason to worry, other than as to how slow the process is these days.

CAVEAT: Of course I cannot give you a guarantee there is no significant problem in your application. No one can. As noted elsewhere, if there is a significant problem odds are you already know, or with a little objective review would know, what issues might be lurking. In the meantime, there are no more than remote odds your copy of GCMS records will reveal the problem, if there is one.

They might be largely useless in your view, but, as you correctly note, that is *your* view. Those of us who order them find some value in them.
Apart from the obvious, that not all "views" are created equal, I and many others find value (a good deal actually) in reading the early 18th century poetry of Alexander Pope
'Tis hard to say, if greater want of skill
Appear in writing or in judging ill;
but I do not pretend it is of use in making decisions when dealing with IRCC. That said, among its many threads of wisdom and insight, Pope's poem "An Essay on Criticism" does make the point that misguided and more so criticism derived from bad intent does more harm than bad writing itself. Which helps to put some of the derision posted here in perspective. Of course that poem in particular is far more often quoted for the line "fools rush in . . ."

I do, however, make a concerted effort to identify and distinguish what is my "view" from the information I post. Additionally, to the consternation of some (apparently those with short attention spans and some difficulty scrolling; otherwise why not just pass on by), the reasoning underlying most of my "views" is shared, explained, so those interested can judge the value for themselves (or for those not interested, scroll on by).

I was more or less invited to this particular topic regarding questions about "triage" criteria. No need to unravel what the GCMS notes might reveal about the triage assessment since, foremost, the important information will be redacted given that the current triage criteria are strictly confidential (not even revealed to Federal Court justices if the application ends up contested in the courts), but additionally because if the triage criteria trigger sufficient reason-to-question-residency the applicant will get a RQ-related request in due course. In contrast, if not, if the triage assessment does not trigger RQ-related processing, it has no effect on processing the application.

Otherwise, what some find interesting, and what some find of value, is separate from what is useful for those trying to best navigate their way through the process of becoming a Canadian citizen. Qualified applicants who properly and completely provide information in their application, who timely and appropriately respond to notices and requests, do not need to obtain a copy of their GCMS records, which (with exceptions, another separate, tending to be lengthy tangent) will rarely, if at all, reveal information the applicant can use to make decisions or take action or even to forecast how much longer the process will take.

Last edited:
Reactions: canvisa13