+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCMC - Routine (or) Non-Routine

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Hello,

I can't remember exactly, but someone mentioned in few forums that the GCMS notes clearly says whether the application is Routine (or) Non-Routine. I received my GCMS notes, but I could not find this information. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

and also why it says primary office as Sydney and secondary as Scarbro. I thought primary office would be Scarbro once it is transferred. I am confused.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello,

I can't remember exactly, but someone mentioned in few forums that the GCMS notes clearly mentioned whether the application is Routine (or) Non-Routine. I received my GCMS notes, but I could not find this information. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Well, that "someone" fed you with misinformation. What that "someone" said is not correct.

There are no tags on the GCMS notes that would classify an application as routine or non-routine. Routine/Non-routine is not exactly an application status - It is just an understanding that is based on the facts of the case. For example, if IRCC wants to scrutinize your physical presence and sends you a Residency Questionnaire (called RQ), then the general understanding is that this particular application is considered "non-routine" (You won't actually see the words "non-routine" anywhere AFAIK). So, if you see an impending RQ request on your GCMS notes, for example, you can assume that the application is non-routine. Other than that, there are no tags anywhere on the GCMS notes (at least none that I know of) that will explicitly say "routine" or "non-routine".

Here's IRCC's take on what could constitute non-routine:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5

Reactions: canvisa13

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Well, that "someone" fed you with misinformation. What that "someone" said is not correct.

There are no tags on the GCMS notes that would classify an application as routine or non-routine. Routine/Non-routine is not exactly an application status - It is just an understanding that is based on the facts of the case. For example, if IRCC wants to scrutinize your physical presence and sends you a Residency Questionnaire (called RQ), then the general understanding is that this particular application is considered "non-routine". So, if you see an impending RQ request on your GCMS notes, for example, you can assume that the application is non-routine. Other than that, there are no tags anywhere on the GCMS notes (at least none that I know of) that will explicitly say "routine" or "non-routine".
Got it. Thanks Raj. And also why it says my primary office as Sydney and secondary office as Scarbro. I thought once the file is transferred the primary office would be Scarbro.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Got it. Thanks Raj. And also why it says my primary office as Sydney and secondary office as Scarbro. I thought once the file is transferred the primary office would be Scarbro.
Hmmm that's weird.

Use the breakdown of my GCMS notes as guidance. and track the paper file history. If your primary office says "CPC-Sydney", then I believe that's where your application currently is.

Not sure if others are in a similar situation but my file shows the primary office is Mississauga and the secondary office as "GTA - CEN IRCC". My file was transferred from CPC Sydney to Mississauga on 10th March / Reached Mississauga office on 19th March.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Hmmm that's weird.

Use the breakdown of my GCMS notes as guidance. and track the paper file history. If your primary office says "CPC-Sydney", then I believe that's where your application currently is.

Not sure if others are in a similar situation but my file shows the primary office is Mississauga and the secondary office as "GTA - CEN IRCC". My file was transferred from CPC Sydney to Mississauga on 10th March / Reached Mississauga office on 19th March.
My 'Paper File Transfer' section is empty. So it means my file is still with CPC-Sydney office, even after 2 years. Oh my god. I am lost now. :(

• Sad
Reactions: rubz9911

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
My 'Paper File Transfer' section is empty. So it means my file is still with CPC-Sydney office, even after 2 years. Oh my god. I am lost now. :(
Well, it is possible that (for some reason), CPC-Sydney is processing your application all the way and not transferring it to a local office? Not sure why though.

You might want to clarify this by calling IRCC.

This is weird.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Well, it is possible that (for some reason), CPC-Sydney is processing your application all the way and not transferring it to a local office? Not sure why though.

You might want to clarify this by calling IRCC.

This is weird.
Yes, and also it shows the 'Location as : I' (Just capital I) not sure what does that mean. I thought it would say 'Registry' (or) something. Last time when I called the agent said, my file is 'Test Ready', but no where it shows as 'Test ready'. Oh my god. Not sure what's going on with my application.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Yes, and also it shows the 'Location as : I' (Just capital I) not sure what does that mean. I thought it would say 'Registry' (or) something. Last time when I called the agent said, my file is 'Test Ready', but no where it shows as 'Test ready'. Oh my god. Not sure what's going on with my application.
@canvisa13

I've never heard of "Location: I" so far. The "Locations" I've seen so far for Citizenship Grant applications are "Registry", "Test Ready" and "Scanned Files".

Wait a second, do you see any ATIP section numbers like S.(21).(a) or something like that anywhere on the page (usually on the top or bottom corners of the page) with the said "Location: I"?

If you do see any section numbers as on that page, it is possible that this field was redacted and they did not redact it properly and left out the "I" alone. Because "Location: I" doesn't make any sense.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
@canvisa13

I've never heard of "Location: I" so far. The "Locations" I've seen so far for Citizenship Grant applications are "Registry", "Test Ready" and "Scanned Files".

Wait a second, do you see any ATIP section numbers like S.(21).(a) or something like that anywhere on the page (usually on the top or bottom corners of the page) with the said "Location: I"?

If you do see any section numbers as on that page, it is possible that this field was redacted and they did not redact it properly and left out the "I" alone. Because "Location: I" doesn't make any sense.
It is after the empty pages of S.(21). There are lots of empty pages, then at the end There are two sections. Paper File and Paper file history.

Paper file shows location as I and Paper file history Location: is emtpy (blank). Seems my file is lost somewhere.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
It is after the empty pages of S.(21). There are lots of empty pages, then at the end There are two sections. Paper File and Paper file history.

Paper file shows location as I and Paper file history Location: is emtpy (blank). Seems my file is lost somewhere.
Yeah, S.21 is common for those ~ 12.5 empty pages. I'm wondering if you have a section number on the page that shows "Location: I".

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
There you go. That explains the "Location: I". It isn't actually "I" - Looks like it was redacted (but they didn't do a good job redacting it).

This is what it says for S.22(1) :

2 (1) The head of a government institution may refuse to disclose any personal information requested under subsection 12(1)

• (a) that was obtained or prepared by any government institution, or part of any government institution, that is an investigative body specified in the regulations in the course of lawful investigations pertaining to
    • (i) the detection, prevention or suppression of crime,
    • (ii) the enforcement of any law of Canada or a province, or
    • (iii) activities suspected of constituting threats to the security of Canada within the meaning of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act,
  • if the information came into existence less than twenty years prior to the request;
  • (b) the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to be injurious to the enforcement of any law of Canada or a province or the conduct of lawful investigations, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, any such information
    • (i) relating to the existence or nature of a particular investigation,
    • (ii) that would reveal the identity of a confidential source of information, or
    • (iii) that was obtained or prepared in the course of an investigation; or
  • (c) the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to be injurious to the security of penal institutions.
Does it specify a sub-section (a, b or c)?

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
There you go. That explains the "Location: I". It isn't actually "I" - Looks like it was redacted (but they didn't do a good job redacting it).

This is what it says for S.22(1) :
So it means, my file is still with Sydney even after 2 years. And the Paper File Transfer section is completely empty. So my file is not assigned to anyone it means no one is (or) no one will work on it. Oh my god.

is it unique situation (or) anyone else is in same situation as me. Did they forget to transfer my file to Scarbro last year because it was right before the pandemic. I am lost. :(

I guess either I call to call them (or) submit webform to inform about my situation. But not sure what happens. God this is frustrating.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
So it means, my file is still with Sydney even after 2 years. And the Paper File Transfer section is completely empty. So my file is not assigned to anyone it means no one is (or) no one will work on it. Oh my god.

is it unique situation (or) anyone else is in same situation as me. Did they forget to transfer my file to Scarbro last year because it was right before the pandemic. I am lost. :(

I guess either I call to call them (or) submit webform to inform about my situation. But not sure what happens. God this is frustrating.
Yeah, this is all weird. I'm not sure what to think.

Give them a call and ask leading questions based on the information in your GCMS notes. May be you'll get a knowledgeable agent who can clarify this for you.

Reactions: canvisa13

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Yeah, this is all weird. I'm not sure what to think.

Give them a call and ask leading questions based on the information in your GCMS notes. May be you'll get a knowledgeable agent who can clarify this for you.
There is a section called 'Refusal Grounds.' They have two sections under it and both of them mentioned my entry to Canada dates, without any notes. Just the dates.

Does everyone GCMS notes have this 'Refusal Grounds' information?