+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCKEY PROBELM? (checking application status online)

froglover

Mar 28, 2022
Is anyone else currently finding it almost impossible to check their application status via their online account? I feel like I'm going insane.

I recently successfully linked my paper spousal PR application to my online account but I'm beginning to wonder if that was a mistake. I have an email from the government website that directs me, in order to check on my application's status, to:

1. Sign in to your account.
2. Click Check full application status under View the applications you submitted.

I am trying to got to the page where this options exists. "View the applications you submitted." I have seen this page multiple times since I began my application and I know it exists, but not any reliable way of navigating to it. I'm growing prematurely old trying to navigate to this page. It is also the page from where there is an option to link an existing application to your online account. I wish I had a screenshot of it but I don't.

Below these instructions, in the email, is a button, "Sign in to your account." When I click the button, I am taken here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html

From here, I choose "Option 1," sign in with my GCKey. This takes me to a page titled "Welcome, [my GCKey username]" with links relevant to my GCKey account, seen below.

I click "Continue." From here I am taken to https://www.cic.gc.ca/, the front page of the Canadian immigration website. I am directed to choose between English and French. I choose English. I am taken to this page: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html
There are various links on the above page but among them there is no way that I'm aware of for me to get to the page containing the option "View the applications you submitted."

I have been through the above process what feels like thousands of times in the past few weeks, every time I've needed to get to this page. Sometimes, for no obvious reason, it will prompt me to accept some Terms and Conditions. Sometimes it will prompt me to answer one of my account recovery questions. Almost never does it take me to the page containing the option "View the applications you submitted." I've tried it in various browsers, all up to date (Firefox and Chrome, respectively.) I've tried it with my VPN on and off. I've tried it in an incognito window. Sometimes it simply takes me to a page which tells me, inexplicably, "You are not logged in." I know! I got here by clicking a link to log in!

Additionally, I am not looking for the "Client Application Status Tool," which is time consuming to navigate and gives me very limited information about my application.

Please, please help me. I'm desperate. I'm supposed to check this page daily now that I've linked my application with my online account.

froglover

Mar 28, 2022
Recent posts here and here seem to be experiencing this issue also. Does that mean this is a new glitch that we can expect to be fixed soon? Should we submit reports about it to the immigration website?

froglover

Mar 28, 2022
Update: I've just successfully logged in to the correct page with GCKey, via this link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html
I copied this link into a new Chrome window (I usually use Firefox,) with my VPN off, logged in with GCKey, was asked one of my security questions (this seems to only happen when the process is taking me to the right page?) and was taken straight from there to the page from where I have options to "Check full application status" and "Add (link) your application to your account".

Disclaimer: I've done this before taking these exact same steps and had it fail. All I know for sure is that logging in under these conditions (with VPN off, in a new Chrome window) works sometimes.

Reactions: Gemt2014

aaaa1111

Mar 31, 2017
After enter login information I kept reloading the page to get to the correct next page. Took about 5 reload tries after you clicked on something but it did eventually take you to the next page.

Reactions: froglover

fashiontart

Nov 18, 2021
This has happened to me each and every time I've logged into my GCKey since February. I just have to go in each time and remove the cookies for the cic website. Logs in successfully each time after that.

Reactions: froglover

froglover

Mar 28, 2022
Thank you to both people who've replied to this thread! @fashiontart @aaaa1111 I've more or less resolved this issue since posting - I just started always opening a new Chrome window whenever I need to check my application. I think the reason that this consistently works might be that I otherwise exclusively use Firefox so there are no cookies when I open Chrome. Basically I have devoted a whole browser exclusively to logging in to the CIC website.