+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCKEY Background check not applicable?

Sunset78

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
The background verification in my tracker changed to "in progress" on April 19, 2023. However, today I noticed in the GCKEY the background check changed to "Not applicable" (it said "we are processing your background check" before). Does anyone know what this means?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: cwz

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
The background verification in my tracker changed to "in progress" on April 19, 2023. However, today I noticed in the GCKEY the background check changed to "Not applicable" (it said "we are processing your background check" before). Does anyone know what this means?
Probably related to maintenance that was scheduled today. Another "mass update".

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Don't believe everything you see on the tracker. I am sure you know that it shouldn't be N/A.

• Haha
Reactions: cwz

cwz

Star Member
Jul 27, 2022
Background Check: Not Applicable (NA3) – This means that IP2 is finished. This "Background check" status will not be displayed in some cases, and PPR is triggered while the IP2 status is still visible

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Background Check: Not Applicable (NA3) – This means that IP2 is finished. This "Background check" status will not be displayed in some cases, and PPR is triggered while the IP2 status is still visible
Maybe I missed something, does GCkey specify NA1, 2 or 3?

Reactions: idiris

cwz

Star Member
Jul 27, 2022
Maybe I missed something, does GCkey specify NA1, 2 or 3?
Background NA after your Background check" section will change to “Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.”...is NA2 (IP1 finished)..
NA after "“We are processing your background check. we will send you a message if we need more information“...is NA3(IP2 finished)
Then PPR on the way

Last edited:

James2023

Star Member
Jan 27, 2023
Does anyone have an idea how long it usually takes for background verification? It is my last step.
Thanks

Dreamer2023

Jan 23, 2023
Got this today too! I called last week and I was told our app is in Vancouver but Edmonton was helping out. So I hope this is a sign that they are actually working on it now.

Nyoung

Mar 23, 2022
Hello,
I think I'm in the same boat.
My PR tracker says it's still "In progress", but my CIC account has changed to "Not Applicable"

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Background NA after your Background check" section will change to “Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.”...is NA2 (IP1 finished)..
NA after "“We are processing your background check. we will send you a message if we need more information“...is NA3(IP2 finished)
Then PPR in the way
You are referring to fairly old observations made on GCKey. I'm aware of those. However, they are purely based on applicants reports. It should be noted that the majority of applicants did indeed observe the said pattern going NA1->MEP->IP1->NA2->IP2 etc... However, it was usually discussed in the context of EE or PNP programs and my current application didn't follow that pattern. All of my statuses have been in progress right from the start and haven't changed in GCKey up until now; they have, however changed in the PR Tracker. Moreover, since those are not official statuses but reverse engineered ones and we have a bunch of new systems and processes (PR Portal, PR tracker etc), there is a high chance of changes to the process and how it is synchronized between legacy and modern systems. Especially, in light of mass updates to BGC on 19.04.

I can't say that you are wrong, but I prefer not to get excited too soon to avoid a disappointment. I'll be glad to be wrong on the other hand, and I'll certainly report further observations as this allows other to understand this somewhat obscured process.

Last edited:

Lillyu

Jun 13, 2022
You are referring to fairly old observations made on GCKey. I'm aware of those. However, they are purely based on applicants reports. It should be noted that the majority of applicants did indeed observe the said pattern going NA1->MEP->IP1->NA2->IP2 etc... However, it was usually discussed in the context of EE or PNP programs and my current application didn't follow that pattern. All of my statuses have been in progress right from the start and haven't changed in GCKey up until now; they have, however changed in the PR Tracker. Moreover, since those are not official statuses but reverse engineered ones and we have a bunch of new systems and processes (PR Portal, PR tracker etc), there is a high chance of changes to the process and how it is synchronized between legacy and modern systems. Especially, in light of mass updates to BGC on 19.04.

I can't say that you are wrong, but I prefer not to get excited too soon to avoid a disappointment. I'll be glad to be wrong on the other hand, and I'll certainly report further observations as this allows other to understand this somewhat obscured process.
Mine same. All of my statuses have been in progress from the start, and only background checks changed to not applicable.

I saw in another thread the same has happened to others after the system update

bytenaija

Nov 11, 2019
This happened to me today too