+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gap in studies a a international student

vvish

Dec 23, 2015
Hello Guys,

I am graduating in November as an international student and i was going to apply my OWP at the Niagara border later in November .I have a little issue that i am afraid of .

I came to Canada in 2011 and have been studying and taking breaks every now and then .So finally i am completing my studies now. I am afraid that when i apply my OPW at the border immigration officer might ask me that why did take me so long to graduate and why i took time off from studies every now and then. i am afraid that they might reject my OPW.

I would like to know everyone's view on this and any suggestions would help .

Thanks

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the reason for the breaks during your study?

vvish said:
Hello Guys,

I am graduating in November as an international student and i was going to apply my OWP at the Niagara border later in November .I have a little issue that i am afraid of .

I came to Canada in 2011 and have been studying and taking breaks every now and then .So finally i am completing my studies now. I am afraid that when i apply my OPW at the border immigration officer might ask me that why did take me so long to graduate and why i took time off from studies every now and then. i am afraid that they might reject my OPW.

I would like to know everyone's view on this and any suggestions would help .

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vvish said:
Financial reasons
Did you continue working through all of those breaks?

vvish

Dec 23, 2015
scylla said:
Did you continue working through all of those breaks?
Yes i was working through those breaks . i know it's kind of bad on my part but i really needed money .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vvish said:
Yes i was working through those breaks . i know it's kind of bad on my part but i really needed money .
Unfortunately it doesn't matter that you needed the money. What you did was illegal and a violation of your study permit.

I would absolutely avoid doing a border run to get your PGWP. Submit an application instead and include a letter explaining your circumstances in detail. Maybe CIC will make an exception and issue the PGWP.

vvish

Dec 23, 2015
scylla said:
Unfortunately it doesn't matter that you needed the money. What you did was illegal and a violation of your study permit.

I would absolutely avoid doing a border run to get your PGWP. Submit an application instead and include a letter explaining your circumstances in detail. Maybe CIC will make an exception and issue the PGWP.
So what if i make a letter explaining everything and take it to the border ?
I feel there is risk involved in both the situations but would you know which option is ore lenient?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vvish said:
So what if i make a letter explaining everything and take it to the border ?
I feel there is risk involved in both the situations but would you know which option is ore lenient?
My personal opinion is that going to the border is for extremely straight-forward cases. If there is anything at all that is not normal about your case, you should not try the border. Even in cases where everything was normal and very straight-forward, CBSA has often refused to issue the PGWP.

And yes - there's a huge amount of risk no matter what you do. If the rules are followed, the PGWP should be refused in your case. You'll only be issued a PGWP if CIC decides to be kind and turn a blind eye to the rules.