gap in 1 yr continous work experience

Shassann1995.18

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
hi everyone

iam applying for canada federal skilled worker express entry progra
i have 1 yr of work experience as following
company A: 10th may 2018 to 20th march 2019. noc code 1112
company B: 25th march 2019 to present. noc code 1112.

is this gap of 4 days between two jobs is acceptable for meeting the requirement of "minimum 1 yr of continous work experience".?

please share ur experiences

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, 4 days will not be counted as a gap. In fact, it's only two days - there's a weekend in between. You quit a job on Wednesday, and started your new job the following Monday.

That's not a gap.

Shassann1995.18

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
Yes, 4 days will not be counted as a gap. In fact, it's only two days - there's a weekend in between. You quit a job on Wednesday, and started your new job the following Monday.

That's not a gap.
thanks but how r u so sure? i heard a gap of more than a day is not acceptable.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Here's an Operational Bulletin that clarifies it. This bulletin is now expired, but that doesn't mean that the guidance is invalid.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2010/173-january-8-2010.html

For applicants in the SW1 category and temporary foreign workers in the SW3 category, anticipated short breaks between jobs are acceptable.

Other people on the forum have had this experience.

Where did you hear that a gap of more than one day is not acceptable?

Shassann1995.18

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
thank u so much for sharing this, but i also read this and this is stated to be expired and this means they r no more valid?
also have u com across anyone who had this experience and got pr?

Shassann1995.18

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
Here's an Operational Bulletin that clarifies it. This bulletin is now expired, but that doesn't mean that the guidance is invalid.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2010/173-january-8-2010.html

For applicants in the SW1 category and temporary foreign workers in the SW3 category, anticipated short breaks between jobs are acceptable.

Other people on the forum have had this experience.

Where did you hear that a gap of more than one day is not acceptable?
for reference in this bulletin it is stated "
one eligible NOC category in the last 10 years in calculating their one year of continuous work experience, as long as their experience adds up to at least one year."
which is no more the case and 1 yr now has to be in one noc code, this means this bulleting is no more valid.
i cant finf any new bulletin regarding the gap point :( can u refer to someone who had a gap and got pr?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
hi everyone

iam applying for canada federal skilled worker express entry progra
i have 1 yr of work experience as following
company A: 10th may 2018 to 20th march 2019. noc code 1112
company B: 25th march 2019 to present. noc code 1112.

is this gap of 4 days between two jobs is acceptable for meeting the requirement of "minimum 1 yr of continous work experience".?

please share ur experiences
Is this a Canadian work exp or non Canadian?
If its Canadian then it does not need to be continuous...
but if it is a foreign work exp then it has to be continuous.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
it is a foreign work experience.?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

Your skilled work experience must be:

• in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.)
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Shassann1995.18

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
so in my work experience hisyory i have worked 45 hours per week in both the jobs while the last week in company a i worked till wednesday which makes up 27 hours for that week, so this would mean i worked the last week till wednesday which makes up as a part time week?
i do fullfill the week requirement as well?
what do i think

Shassann1995.18

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
so in my work experience hisyory i have worked 45 hours per week in both the jobs while the last week in company a i worked till wednesday which makes up 27 hours for that week, so this would mean i worked the last week till wednesday which makes up as a part time week?
what do i think
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

Your skilled work experience must be:

• in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.)
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
what do i think
They don't consider additional hours beyond the 30 hrs/weeks

Last edited:

Shassann1995.18

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
exactly i agree, i mean they r counting weekly hours,
so from 18th march 2019 to 24th march 2019 i worked till 20th so 45/5 into 3 means 27 hours a week.
this would mean i worked part time for this week?
and then i joined the new company?