+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gap between OWP approval and receipt

wpgguy

Oct 14, 2020
Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of information. I received approval for an OWP on October 21, but do not have the document in-hand. I have an in-Canada approval letter which shows the document number of the new work permit and its expiry date.

I've been working super hard to get an actual career job and I finally got an offer on Friday. I am super excited (this is my dream job) but also extremely nervous because I haven't gotten my new permit in the mail yet! I told my (potential) new employer about my situation in the interview, but at that time it was the day after approval so I assumed the permit would come through within a week or so. They said once it came in to give them a copy for their file but didn't say too much more than that. I assume since they gave me an offer that they didn't have a huge issue with my situation.

I am currently working on a study permit, so I am limited to 20 hours per week. My current (previous) said that they wanted me to work full-time, but they couldn't increase my hours just based on my application documents and the approval letter. It makes sense logically that they would need the actual permit so they can see the conditions, but does anyone have experience with IRCC facilitating this kind of thing in the form of a letter with more info or anything? Would you happen to know if the approval letter is technically sufficient to start working since it has a document number, the date it came into force and an expiry date, and if I can find this information in any IRCC policy to show to my employer?

A quick Google search didn't turn up anything. I know that there is an option available for those who applied outland and are now inland, but it doesn't look like there is anything available for inland applicants. I was thinking of calling IRCC tomorrow to see if I could get anything done since negotiations are starting this week but wanted to check here for any hints first. I don't want to spend a few hours waiting on the phone with IRCC and end up without an answer or some progress toward having the permit in-hand.

I will probably have about a month before I start my new job, but they will likely need all of my documentation before I start and they are very anxious to bring me on-board so the timeline could easily shift based on negotiations this week. I have a valid SIN number but my guess is that I will also need a new printout - given the situation in Manitoba I can't really go to Service Canada and the mail option looks to take a fair bit of time, so clearly the sooner I have an updated permit the better. I would be super devastated if I ended up losing out on this offer because my new permit is lost in the mail or something. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!