+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gap between old passport and new passport!!

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

My old passport expired in June 2013 and the new passport was issued in September 2013. Wile reviewing my citizenship application, the settlement consultant advised to enclose a letter clarifying why there is a gap!!!

He said they might return my application because of the gap!! a gap means that I have another passport!!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Loulou79 said:
Hello,

My old passport expired in June 2013 and the new passport was issued in September 2013. Wile reviewing my citizenship application, the settlement consultant advised to enclose a letter clarifying why there is a gap!!!

He said they might return my application because of the gap!! a gap means that I have another passport!!
The gap is probably short enough to not be problematic overall, in terms of the credibility of your application and accounting of absences and presence overall, so long as you adequately explain the gap.

However, yes, the consultant is correct to point out that such gaps risk, or may even likely result, in the return of the application unless adequately explained.

Which, frankly, should be obvious. (Reminder: if in doubt, follow the instructions, otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.)

The document checklist states that the applicant needs to include:
Photocopies of biographical pages of passports and/or travel documents covering the six (6) years immediately before the date of you application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is most recent.

If that is not clear enough, the Guide specifically states:

Note: If your passports and/or travel documents have any gaps in the time they cover during the past six (6) years, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent, attach an explanation.

This note is actually highlighted in the guide. Rather obvious.

Indeed, it does not get much more straight-forward than that. After all, what would "covering the six years" mean other than actually covering the six years?

I am sometimes charged with being condescending, especially when I repeat admonitions like "if in doubt, follow the instructions, otherwise, yep, follow the instructions."

But the number one reason why applicants run into processing trouble has nothing to do with the merits of their case, but is due to failing to follow the instructions.

We all know how important it is to follow the instructions. And we all fail to adequately, let alone thoroughly, read the instructions. Me included. It is hard. So much seems easy and intuitive. We readily gloss over what seems to be merely so-called boiler-plate.

But the actual instructions matter. Hence the need for the reminder.

There are, by the way, multiple topics here which were started by applicants surprised when their applications were returned due to gaps in the periods of time covered by the passport(s) copies they submitted. Yes, IRCC does screen the application and submitted documents to check that what is required to make a complete, formal application is actually submitted.

Substantive concerns about gaps in time covered by applicant's passports:

It cannot be emphasized enough that the burden of proof is on the applicant.

Perhaps the most far-reaching misunderstanding applicants have is that IRCC does not look for what establishes an applicant's eligibility for citizenship. It is entirely on the applicant to put into IRCC's lap the information necessary to establish the applicant's qualifications for citizenship.

Thus, it is not only imperative that an applicant affirmatively establish dates of travel exiting and entering Canada, supported by indications of a life lived in Canada (work and address history at the least), but that the application sufficiently illuminate there is no reason for IRCC to apprehend, let alone overtly suspect, the possibility of undisclosed travel.

A huge factor in this is assurance the applicant has disclosed, to IRCC, all travel documents which the applicant could possibly have used during the relevant time period.

A few months between the expiration of a passport and the date a new one is issued should be no problem. But of course the applicant needs to explain this. And, of course, there needs to be no indication there was any international travel in that interim.

Obviously, any indication of international travel during the gap period would suggest, if not overtly indicate, the PR was using some other travel document. And if no other travel document is revealed to IRCC, well that would indeed spell T-R-O-U-B-L-E. All caps warranted.

In contrast, IRCC wants to see assurance there was no other travel document. So it can be readily inferred that the applicant's account of no travel during that time period truly reflects that there was no travel.

By the way:

You have indicated many reasons why you should seriously consider a longer, not shorter, margin over and above meeting the minimum physical presence requirements. As I have otherwise noted, how much of a margin an individual should have before applying is very personal, dependent on the individual's personal circumstances. Some can easily sail through the process with a minimal margin. Others should consider waiting to apply until they have a bigger margin. From UAE permits to this gap in passport coverage, you have revealed a number of factors which suggest prudence leans toward a bigger margin.

Reactions: Indian Voyager!

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your renewed passport has the old passport# mentioned, highlight that in the covering letter. This could be one proof that you dont have any other passport in between. Plus of course give a good reason as to why you chose to not to renew it immediately.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:
The gap is probably short enough to not be problematic overall, in terms of the credibility of your application and accounting of absences and presence overall, so long as you adequately explain the gap.

However, yes, the consultant is correct to point out that such gaps risk, or may even likely result, in the return of the application unless adequately explained.

Which, frankly, should be obvious. (Reminder: if in doubt, follow the instructions, otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.)

The document checklist states that the applicant needs to include:
Photocopies of biographical pages of passports and/or travel documents covering the six (6) years immediately before the date of you application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is most recent.

If that is not clear enough, the Guide specifically states:

Note: If your passports and/or travel documents have any gaps in the time they cover during the past six (6) years, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent, attach an explanation.

This note is actually highlighted in the guide. Rather obvious.

Indeed, it does not get much more straight-forward than that. After all, what would "covering the six years" mean other than actually covering the six years?

I am sometimes charged with being condescending, especially when I repeat admonitions like "if in doubt, follow the instructions, otherwise, yep, follow the instructions."

But the number one reason why applicants run into processing trouble has nothing to do with the merits of their case, but is due to failing to follow the instructions.

We all know how important it is to follow the instructions. And we all fail to adequately, let alone thoroughly, read the instructions. Me included. It is hard. So much seems easy and intuitive. We readily gloss over what seems to be merely so-called boiler-plate.

But the actual instructions matter. Hence the need for the reminder.

There are, by the way, multiple topics here which were started by applicants surprised when their applications were returned due to gaps in the periods of time covered by the passport(s) copies they submitted. Yes, IRCC does screen the application and submitted documents to check that what is required to make a complete, formal application is actually submitted.

Substantive concerns about gaps in time covered by applicant's passports:

It cannot be emphasized enough that the burden of proof is on the applicant.

Perhaps the most far-reaching misunderstanding applicants have is that IRCC does not look for what establishes an applicant's eligibility for citizenship. It is entirely on the applicant to put into IRCC's lap the information necessary to establish the applicant's qualifications for citizenship.

Thus, it is not only imperative that an applicant affirmatively establish dates of travel exiting and entering Canada, supported by indications of a life lived in Canada (work and address history at the least), but that the application sufficiently illuminate there is no reason for IRCC to apprehend, let alone overtly suspect, the possibility of undisclosed travel.

A huge factor in this is assurance the applicant has disclosed, to IRCC, all travel documents which the applicant could possibly have used during the relevant time period.

A few months between the expiration of a passport and the date a new one is issued should be no problem. But of course the applicant needs to explain this. And, of course, there needs to be no indication there was any international travel in that interim.

Obviously, any indication of international travel during the gap period would suggest, if not overtly indicate, the PR was using some other travel document. And if no other travel document is revealed to IRCC, well that would indeed spell T-R-O-U-B-L-E. All caps warranted.

In contrast, IRCC wants to see assurance there was no other travel document. So it can be readily inferred that the applicant's account of no travel during that time period truly reflects that there was no travel.

By the way:

You have indicated many reasons why you should seriously consider a longer, not shorter, margin over and above meeting the minimum physical presence requirements. As I have otherwise noted, how much of a margin an individual should have before applying is very personal, dependent on the individual's personal circumstances. Some can easily sail through the process with a minimal margin. Others should consider waiting to apply until they have a bigger margin. From UAE permits to this gap in passport coverage, you have revealed a number of factors which suggest prudence leans toward a bigger margin.
As usual, thank you very much for the detailed reply. Have not seen the note about the gap explanation.

All this hassle could be easily saved by requesting a travel history report from CBS.

Add the Canada Post strike/lockout to the obstacles.

I do not know, with my luck so far, I'd rather send the application ASAP before IRCC go on strike or something.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajithpl said:
If your renewed passport has the old passport# mentioned, highlight that in the covering letter. This could be one proof that you dont have any other passport in between. Plus of course give a good reason as to why you chose to not to renew it immediately.

A lousy travel document. No it does not have the old #.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Loulou79 said:
Hello,

Believe it or not,I didn't even notice a gap in my passports,when I applied for citizenship.....It was only during the interview that the CIC agent pointed it out to me......I simply said that in my country's passport renewal,I have to send it to our consulate in Toronto and the processing time usually takes 6-8 weeks,so plus shipping time.....it almost takes 3months for a passport to be renewed. She said ok and that was it.

But like they've already said,follow what your consultant said. It's better to be overly prepared.

Goodluck.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stargazerlilly said:
Believe it or not,I didn't even notice a gap in my passports,when I applied for citizenship.....It was only during the interview that the CIC agent pointed it out to me......I simply said that in my country's passport renewal,I have to send it to our consulate in Toronto and the processing time usually takes 6-8 weeks,so plus shipping time.....it almost takes 3months for a passport to be renewed. She said ok and that was it.

But like they've already said,follow what your consultant said. It's better to be overly prepared.

Goodluck.
So they do actually notice such a small gap as 3 months!!!!thanks for sharing. A fiend of mine had a 6-month gap, did not enclose a letter explaining why and was not a problem during the interview. But as big boss has stated:" if in doubt, follow the instructions, otherwise, yep, follow the instructions".

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Loulou79 said:
So they do actually notice such a small gap as 3 months!!!!thanks for sharing. A fiend of mine had a 6-month gap, did not enclose a letter explaining why and was not a problem during the interview. But as big boss has stated:" if in doubt, follow the instructions, otherwise, yep, follow the instructions".
I never knew that gaps is an issue. All they asked was copies of passports in my possession,that's all I sent them. No explanations too. Maybe since I haven't left Canada at anytime,that's why it wasn't an issue(?).
Just follow big boss's advice. It makes the best sense. :D :D

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stargazerlilly said:
I never knew that gaps is an issue. All they asked was copies of passports in my possession,that's all I sent them. No explanations too. Maybe since I haven't left Canada at anytime,that's why it wasn't an issue(?).
Just follow big boss's advice. It makes the best sense. :D :D
I have ;) Typed and printed the letter today.

mdk1

May 2, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2015
AOR Received.
01-02-2016
File Transfer...
04-02-2016
Passport Req..
11-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
26-04-2016
What do we write in question 11 of new form, Where were you physically located?
is it going to be the employers address or your own mailing address like home?

mdk1

May 2, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2015
AOR Received.
01-02-2016
File Transfer...
04-02-2016
Passport Req..
11-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
26-04-2016

outflare

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
QUESTION
IN PASSPORTY QUESTION
THEY ASK FOR PLACE OF ISSUE AND COUNTRY OF ISSUE

i got my pakistani passport made from toronto >>> shall i put canada in country of issue or shall i put Pakistan