+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

G1 Written test to Full G license

proceso

May 1, 2020
Where did you give your written test?

I have a valid Indian license (no extract) and expired US license. If I take the written test and show my Indian license I will be eligible for the G1 Exit road test to get a G2, is my understanding accurate?
1448 Lawrence Avenue

Yep your understanding is correct

proceso

May 1, 2020
Can you describe what the vision test is like ? Is there like somewhere you have to declare that you do wear contacts or not ?
At the time of the registration they will do the test. You'll have to just look inside a device and answer what they ask. eg which side is the light? left or right ? what's the letter ? bla bla

hsgulati

Jun 19, 2012
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2012
I am planing to take few test drives/lessons from a private driving school, and will hire their vehicle for the test
@proceso How did your test go and where did you book it? I have got a date for London and I am from Brampton. Any idea if they will allow me to take the test or not. Any refernce for driving instructor?

proceso

May 1, 2020
@proceso How did your test go and where did you book it? I have got a date for London and I am from Brampton. Any idea if they will allow me to take the test or not. Any refernce for driving instructor?
Oops I failed the G road test :oops:, drove bit over the speed in a school zone :D (thought I can go+/- 5 kmph over the limit but seems like it's not allowed in a school zone). Have to take the G road test. I found an instructor by searching in google maps. Facebook market place also have some advertisements.

You won't have a problem, just go and take the exam. Good luck

Yiss

Jul 22, 2016
I want to share my experience and put some perspective on the process from G1 to full G.
i landed in Canada last year as a PR. As I was not settling permanently I did not want to initiate the license exchange process. I drove with my home country license without any issue during the month I spent in Ontario. I rented a car, also rented a U-haul all without any difficulty with my home license. I came back to Canada this July 1st and after my quarantine I went to take the G1 test on July 15. I had prepared also a DL extract so that I will be able to book the G road test and pass it immediately. I successfully passed the knowledge test and pay for road test fees. Then the real issue started when searching a spot for the G test. I am based in Ottawa, and the earliest date I got was in March 2022. I started looking outside Ottawa and even the earliest I found was a spot in Dec. As I needed absolutely to pass the road test before Sept, the following days I kept looking almost every 2-3 hours in the system in all towns in Ontario (some people cancel their road tests, freeing some spots). I was lucky to finally get a spot for July 30 in Kingston. even though it was for G2 road test, I had already made my mind to book the earliest available be it G2 or G. That day, I travelled a round trip with a friend to Kingston where I passed my G2.
Now with some hindsight, I will like to say it was the best decision to take the G2 instead of G:
1) I made some mistakes (eg. uphill parallel parking with the wrong positioning of the steering wheel) which would have failed me on the G test. I feel that instructors are more accommodating on the G2,
2) if you fail the G, you have to start back from the G2, so better take the G2 at 1st place,
3) You got the same advantages as for when and where you can drive. The only difference being the Zero-tolerance alcohol level for G2 (not a big deal for me). Also the possible gain in insurance premium from G was offset after discussing with my insurance broker who states that as I do not have a driving experience history in Ontario, it will not make a real difference.
I intend to pass my G before the end of the year (I have started again to search the next available spot ) as it still makes a difference (some jobs require a full G license) but for now the G2 is more than enough.

Reactions: proceso

canman2021

Jun 20, 2021
I want to share my experience and put some perspective on the process from G1 to full G.
i landed in Canada last year as a PR. As I was not settling permanently I did not want to initiate the license exchange process. I drove with my home country license without any issue during the month I spent in Ontario. I rented a car, also rented a U-haul all without any difficulty with my home license. I came back to Canada this July 1st and after my quarantine I went to take the G1 test on July 15. I had prepared also a DL extract so that I will be able to book the G road test and pass it immediately. I successfully passed the knowledge test and pay for road test fees. Then the real issue started when searching a spot for the G test. I am based in Ottawa, and the earliest date I got was in March 2022. I started looking outside Ottawa and even the earliest I found was a spot in Dec. As I needed absolutely to pass the road test before Sept, the following days I kept looking almost every 2-3 hours in the system in all towns in Ontario (some people cancel their road tests, freeing some spots). I was lucky to finally get a spot for July 30 in Kingston. even though it was for G2 road test, I had already made my mind to book the earliest available be it G2 or G. That day, I travelled a round trip with a friend to Kingston where I passed my G2.
Now with some hindsight, I will like to say it was the best decision to take the G2 instead of G:
1) I made some mistakes (eg. uphill parallel parking with the wrong positioning of the steering wheel) which would have failed me on the G test. I feel that instructors are more accommodating on the G2,
2) if you fail the G, you have to start back from the G2, so better take the G2 at 1st place,
3) You got the same advantages as for when and where you can drive. The only difference being the Zero-tolerance alcohol level for G2 (not a big deal for me). Also the possible gain in insurance premium from G was offset after discussing with my insurance broker who states that as I do not have a driving experience history in Ontario, it will not make a real difference.
I intend to pass my G before the end of the year (I have started again to search the next available spot ) as it still makes a difference (some jobs require a full G license) but for now the G2 is more than enough.
Hi, try book in canotek, i booked there before 10 days and i got appointment a few days after.