+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

G1 Written test to Full G license

proceso

May 1, 2020
Hi all,

I have 7 years of driving experience from my home country, I have brought all the proof documents as well.

I recently sat for G1 written test, so my question is how long do i have to wait to book a road test ? I tried to book using the drivetest.ca but it says my license no (the one I got after writing the G1 test) can not be recognized.

Do I have to wait until I get the physical card ?

JonyQuest

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
you need to register the driving experience in the system. After that you can register for G if your driving experience is more than 3 years.
Finding an appointment is another story. At the moment, you ll be lucky to find a test appointment

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Hi all,

I have 7 years of driving experience from my home country, I have brought all the proof documents as well.

I recently sat for G1 written test, so my question is how long do i have to wait to book a road test ? I tried to book using the drivetest.ca but it says my license no (the one I got after writing the G1 test) can not be recognized.

Do I have to wait until I get the physical card ?
First check if your country has an exchange agreement with Ontario. If not, look at the proof driving experience requirements. Your paperwork MUST be in English or French and there are specific requirements as to whom can translate them for you. Your country's consulate/embassy is one that is authorized to translate.

proceso

May 1, 2020
you need to register the driving experience in the system. After that you can register for G if your driving experience is more than 3 years.
Finding an appointment is another story. At the moment, you ll be lucky to find a test appointment
I have registered my experience and also I have taken the G1 written test.

I took the exam 2 days ago, not sure if that is the reason I can't book an appointment yet

proceso

May 1, 2020
First check if your country has an exchange agreement with Ontario. If not, look at the proof driving experience requirements. Your paperwork MUST be in English or French and there are specific requirements as to whom can translate them for you. Your country's consulate/embassy is one that is authorized to translate.
I have submitted all the documents correctly

JonyQuest

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
I have registered my experience and also I have taken the G1 written test.

I took the exam 2 days ago, not sure if that is the reason I can't book an appointment yet
I didnt start the booking of appointment process immediately so maybe give it a few days. You are not missing much anyway as there are no appointments for G road test

proceso

May 1, 2020
The expiry date you use online is the date your temp license has been issued + 5 years, not the expiry date written on the temp license. (eg. if you exchanged it on 20 June then the expiry date is 20 June 2026)

A word of warning: You are not allowed to drive by yourself on your original license since you've already gotten the G1 license. You must have a fully licensed passenger.
If you get into an accident and the insurance and police run your details they will only count your Canadian G1 license.
OMG thanks you for the info. I was able to book.

I just calculated the expiry date as you said.

Last edited:

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
Last week of July 2021.

Bit faraway location from downtown toronto.
Hello, I have 2+ years of driving experience from my home country. I'm only aware regarding the process of getting my license translated by my country's consulate.

Do you mind briefly streamlining the process from translating it to successfully booking the G road test ? Also, who's car will you be using for the road test ?

proceso

May 1, 2020
Hello, I have 2+ years of driving experience from my home country. I'm only aware regarding the process of getting my license translated by my country's consulate.

Do you mind briefly streamlining the process from translating it to successfully booking the G road test ? Also, who's car will you be using for the road test ?
First you have to sit for the G1 WRITTEN Test. (and you should have more than 2 years of experience in your home country)

When you arrive for the G1 Written test, there's a registration process you have to go through. There you can present your previous driving experience.

If you have only the driving license with you == they will add 1 year experience to your record and you can directly take the G1 Exit Road Test after passing the G1 Written test (No need to wait for a 1 year)

If you have the driving license + Driving extract = They will add 2 years of experience to your record and you can directly take the G2 Exit Road Test after passing the G1 Written test (No need to wait 2 years)

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
First you have to sit for the G1 WRITTEN Test. (and you should have more than 2 years of experience in your home country)

When you arrive for the G1 Written test, there's a registration process you have to go through. There you can present your previous driving experience.

If you have only the driving license with you == they will add 1 year experience to your record and you can directly take the G1 Exit Road Test after passing the G1 Written test (No need to wait for a 1 year)

If you have the driving license + Driving extract = They will add 2 years of experience to your record and you can directly take the G2 Exit Road Test after passing the G1 Written test (No need to wait 2 years)
Thanks for the information. Will you be renting a car or borrow someone's car for the road test ?

TonyAx

Aug 11, 2020

Where did you give your written test?

I have a valid Indian license (no extract) and expired US license. If I take the written test and show my Indian license I will be eligible for the G1 Exit road test to get a G2, is my understanding accurate?