+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

G1 and Foreign Drivers Licence

niashaalyssa

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Hi there,

I came to Canada just before the lockdown and was able to only get my G1. I have 16 years foreign experience that will allow me to do a straight G instead of G2 but with the closure of the Ontario Drive Test centres and uncertainty of when they will resume driving tests I am stuck in limbo. I would like to rent a car with my foreign licence but am unsure if I can since I have G1. Does any know if I can?

Do you think they will put things in place to do licence exchanges for foreign licence holders previously not eligible for a straight exchange to help with the backlog?

Thanks!

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi there,

I came to Canada just before the lockdown and was able to only get my G1. I have 16 years foreign experience that will allow me to do a straight G instead of G2 but with the closure of the Ontario Drive Test centres and uncertainty of when they will resume driving tests I am stuck in limbo. I would like to rent a car with my foreign licence but am unsure if I can since I have G1. Does any know if I can?

Do you think they will put things in place to do licence exchanges for foreign licence holders previously not eligible for a straight exchange to help with the backlog?

Thanks!
Technically you can't drive anymore on your g1 license, but technically you can rent cars on your foreign license. It is a limbo situation. If you know what you are doing, it is probably alright but please be careful.

No I would not expect them to change rules. The least they might do is extend the date by which you must give g test after g1 test.

Reactions: niashaalyssa

niashaalyssa

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Technically you can't drive anymore on your g1 license, but technically you can rent cars on your foreign license. It is a limbo situation. If you know what you are doing, it is probably alright but please be careful.

No I would not expect them to change rules. The least they might do is extend the date by which you must give g test after g1 test.
Ok thanks!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok thanks!
1. drive test is now opened to book G2 tests in Ontario (website is working again)
2. you can still try to rent a car using your foreign driving licence or international driving licence. If the company will rent you for the test day good for you.
3. Worst case scenario just check for special offer car with a driver for the day of your drive test (a bit more costly but also available).

niashaalyssa

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
1. drive test is now opened to book G2 tests in Ontario (website is working again)
2. you can still try to rent a car using your foreign driving licence or international driving licence. If the company will rent you for the test day good for you.
3. Worst case scenario just check for special offer car with a driver for the day of your drive test (a bit more costly but also available).
Thanks for the feedack!

I actually had a road test booked for July and it was cancelled by Drive Test and when I went to re-book the only availability was in October for a centre that is 5 hours away from where I live by bus so not really an ideal situation. Any centres close to me are booked out through the remainder of 2020. My query about renting the car was given that with COVID I have no immediate solution to getting my G what my available (legal) options would be, if any, should I need to have access to a car temporarily for whatever reason.

Last edited:

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Thanks for the feedack!

I actually had a road test booked for July and it was cancelled by Drive Test and when I went to re-book the only availability was in October for a centre that is 5 hours away from where I live by bus so not really an ideal situation. Any centres close to me are booked out through the remainder of 2020. My query about renting the car was given that with COVID I have no immediate solution to getting my G what my available (legal) options would be, if any, should I need to have access to a car temporarily for whatever reason.
You can still rent a car with international license. This is only safe if you know what you are doing i.e. have driven in past in Canada/countries with similar rules. Driving tester will usually not ask about car ownership of you have all documents (insurance, etc).

If you don't want to step any boundaries, then many driving schools provide service where for few hours they give you a crash course and provide car/instructor for driving test.

niashaalyssa

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
My query was just about renting in general until I am able to do the test and not for the test specifically as I plan to use go through a driving school for the test itself. Thanks for the clarification that I can indeed rent the car with my licence while still holding G1