+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FYI - American-Canadian Dual Citizens

MericaEh

May 19, 2021
Just wanted to share my experience travelling outside of and coming back to Canada on an American passport. Many have previously mentioned that you need a Canadian passport to return to Canada; well, this is not completely true for American Canadians where you can totally use your American passport to return to Canada with no issues at all. When back in Canada make sure to mention to the border control agent that you're a Canadian citizen. It would also be a good idea to keep digital copy of your citizenship certificate on your phone just in case. Thought this could come in handy for some especially with the current passport backlog/delays in Canada. I'm actually thinking I can save the $160 application fee and maybe wait till my current passport is about to expire before I get a Canadian one since apparently it's not really needed.

HarveyKeck

Aug 24, 2020
Just wanted to share my experience travelling outside of and coming back to Canada on an American passport. Many have previously mentioned that you need a Canadian passport to return to Canada; well, this is not completely true for American Canadians where you can totally use your American passport to return to Canada with no issues at all. When back in Canada make sure to mention to the border control agent that you're a Canadian citizen. It would also be a good idea to keep digital copy of your citizenship certificate on your phone just in case. Thought this could come in handy for some especially with the current passport backlog/delays in Canada. I'm actually thinking I can save the $160 application fee and maybe wait till my current passport is about to expire before I get a Canadian one since apparently it's not really needed.
Thanks for this post, it is quite helpful. When you returned to Canada, did the agent ask for any proof of Canadian citizenship?

Reactions: Mthornt

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
I've also had this question... I have Oath next month with trips coming up soon after. I don't know if I'll have time to get my Canadian passport in time, and have been worried about making the trips. This is helpful, I'd be interested to hear the experiences of others on this subject and what kinds of questions duals may get at the border.

lingow

Dec 30, 2020
This is great to know. Did you fly or drive? Did they actually check your certificate?

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
There is even this official section on US-Canada dual citizens saying that we can enter Canada just on our US passports but we would still need to carry proof of Canadian citizenship. I wonder if just a scanned copy of the certificate of citizenship would suffice so that we don't have to carry the actual paper copy?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Canadian-American dual citizens
To fly to Canada, you need
If you travel with just your valid U.S. passport, you
Even though you only need one of your passports to enter Canada, you should travel with both. Having both passports makes travel between Canada and the United States easier. Your passports prove
  • your citizenships
  • that you have the right to enter Canada and the U.S. without immigration screening

Reactions: Mthornt

Slm1003

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
I've also had this question... I have Oath next month with trips coming up soon after. I don't know if I'll have time to get my Canadian passport in time, and have been worried about making the trips. This is helpful, I'd be interested to hear the experiences of others on this subject and what kinds of questions duals may get at the border.
I crossed by car at the Queenston-Lewiston bridge this past Sunday. I presented mine and my son’s US passports and had our citizenship certificates in my passenger seat. While the border officer was asking the normal questions, I turned to grab the certificates and he just said “oh, you have your Canadian paperwork there, ok great. You’re good to go” before I could even pick them up. It was super easy to cross and took no longer than when I had my PR card!

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
I crossed by car at the Queenston-Lewiston bridge this past Sunday. I presented mine and my son’s US passports and had our citizenship certificates in my passenger seat. While the border officer was asking the normal questions, I turned to grab the certificates and he just said “oh, you have your Canadian paperwork there, ok great. You’re good to go” before I could even pick them up. It was super easy to cross and took no longer than when I had my PR card!

That's great to hear. I have a month in between oath and first trip afterwards so I hope I can find a way to get the passport, otherwise I'll be prepared with the citizenship document.