+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FWIW - - eTA leniency period extended until November 9

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Leniency period for Canada's new Electronic Travel Authorization extended until November 9

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1127219&tp=1&_ga=1.131790793.755588733.1444817166

"To give travellers and airlines more time to prepare for changes when flying to or transiting through Canada, the government is extending the leniency period for the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) requirement until November 9, 2016. Starting November 10, 2016, Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, will need a valid Canadian passport to board their flight to Canada otherwise they will experience delays. All visa-exempt travellers (except United States [U.S.] citizens) will need an eTA to board their flight."

There is no direct mention of impact on PRs in the more recent press releases, in contrast to the reminder of the impact on dual citizens carrying a visa-exempt passport.

My take is that technically IRCC and CBSA expect PRs to comply with the requirements for PRs (to present a valid PR card or PR TD when boarding flights to Canada); however, in the meantime, a few reports have indicated that this may not be actually enforced on PRs presenting a visa-exempt passport when boarding a flight to Canada.

In any event, the absence of direct reference to PRs in the more recent news releases should not be interpreted to mean there will be continuing lax enforcement after the leniency period ends . . . on the contrary, it is highly likely that the rules for PRs will be more or less strictly enforced, and thus for sure after the leniency period ends, PRs traveling abroad should be prepared to present a valid PR card or obtain a PR TD for a flight back to Canada, to not rely on travel using a visa-exempt passport. (My view is that the prudent approach for PRs is to have a valid PR card or plan to obtain a PR TD, for a flight to Canada, now, even before the leniency period actually ends.)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Interesting random date November 9th, wonder whats happening south of the border November 8th ? Maybe they are waiting to see if the Donald gets elected he will propose a wall across the US/Canada border, he pays of course !

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dpenabill said:
however, in the meantime, a few reports have indicated that this may not be actually enforced on PRs presenting a visa-exempt passport when boarding a flight to Canada.
More than a "few", over a dozen reports at least of PRs traveling to Canada on just visa-exempt passport since the last key date for eTA back in March.

on the contrary, it is highly likely that the rules for PRs will be more or less strictly enforced,
You said the same thing back in March, yet there has not been even 1 single report here of a visa-exempt PR being denied boarding due to not having PR card.

It is not highly likely or unlikely this will continue until Nov 9. Any guess either way is pure speculation. I would guess things will continue as-is until the Nov 9 date (unless that gets extended yet again). Yes the best and surest approach is to have a valid PR card or PR TD, though if that is impossible in some cases I'm sure many PRs will find they can still travel on visa-exempt passport only if they must. Up to the individual if the travel is worth the risk. Perhaps we'll hear of an actual report over next few months of a visa-exempt PR being identified as a PR by the airline and denied boarding due to no PR card, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Frankly, I think my initial post was clear enough despite some complex sentence construction employing more dependent clauses than is the fashion these days. In contrast, it is not clear to me what point Rob_TO is trying to make, or why Rob_TO is arguing about this. I can say, however, that if Rob_TO's point is I am wrong about the likelihood of strict enforcement, that is that after the leniency period ends there is no reason to anticipate there will be strict enforcement of the rule requiring PRs to present a PR card or PR TD when flying to Canada, I strongly disagree.

In particular, the main purpose behind my post was to remind PRs that after the leniency period for eTA ends it is highly likely the PR rule will be strictly enforced. I do not think PRs need to wait for reports in the months following November 9 (or whatever date the eTA leniency period actually ends, allowing for the possibility of further extensions) to see if there will be strict enforcement of the rule for PRs. What is most likely is obvious, and that is there will be strict enforcement.

Thus, while I attempted to inform the forum clearly enough that the eTA leniency period, which was scheduled to end next week, is now extended until November 9, and what the implications of this are for PRs traveling abroad, perhaps it will help if I attempt to more specifically state my observations about this, about the impact the end of the eTA leniency period has on PRs:

1. eTA leniency period is extended until November 9, 2016.

2. PRs traveling abroad should anticipate strict enforcement of the rules for PRs after the leniency period ends, even if they are carrying a visa-exempt passport.

3. In the meantime (prior to end of the leniency period), the prudent approach for all PRs, notwithstanding some reports of lax enforcement of the rules for PRs with visa-exempt passports, is to travel with a valid PR card or be prepared to obtain a PR TD for a return flight to Canada.

Quick facts (from IRCC news release)

"Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA and, as usual, must show their valid permanent resident card when travelling to Canada."

(Taken from the 9-20-2016 news release regarding eTA extension (this should link), emphasis added.)

PR Rule Reminder:

The current rule (which is what the reference in the news release is about when it refers to "as usual") requires a PR to present a valid PR card or PR Travel Document before boarding a flight to Canada. The rule applies to all PRs, including those who carry a visa-exempt passport.

There are anecdotal reports the rule has not be enforced when a PR presents a visa-exempt passport.

Again, (contrary to what Rob_TO seems to be asserting) it is highly likely that after the leniency period the rules will be more or less strictly enforced, notwithstanding the extent to which there has been lax enforcement of the rule for PRs carrying a visa-exempt passport.

Reminder about screening passengers prior to boarding:

The airlines still screen passengers, and retain discretion to deny boarding to passengers (which may be based on a wide range of reasons), and indeed are required to restrict who can board a flight to Canada based on a number of applicable laws and rules. However, the primary screening for authorization to board a flight is now done electronically, through the IAPI system, which is operated and maintained by CBSA. The system screens the prospective passenger based on the Travel Document used by the traveler. This is typically based on the traveler's name plus passport number (API).

Thus, with some exceptions, all passengers boarding a flight to Canada must be authorized by CBSA before the airlines can even issue a boarding pass. This applies to all prospective passengers for a flight to Canada. (What this means during the leniency period is that passengers presenting a visa-exempt passport are not denied the CBSA authorization to board due to the absence of eTA. Again, airlines nonetheless otherwise retain discretion to screen passengers and deny boarding for a wide range of other reasons.)

Rob_TO said:
dpenabill said:
on the contrary, it is highly likely that the rules for PRs will be more or less strictly enforced,
You said the same thing back in March, yet there has not been even 1 single report here of a visa-exempt PR being denied boarding due to not having PR card.
Aside from the misleading quote of a sentence fragment out-of-context (in context, what is quoted referred to after the end of the leniency period), I am not sure if you are quibbling for the purpose of quibbling or . . .

. . . or trying to confuse PRs about the impending likelihood that after the leniency period, strict enforcement is highly likely, that is, that the rules requiring PRs to present either a valid PR card or PR TD, as I said, are indeed likely to be strictly enforced as of the day after the leniency period ends.

In any event, that is NOT what I said in March. In March I said there was a substantial risk (not a "high likelihood") the rules for a PR boarding a flight could be imposed, despite having a visa-exempt passport, and thus the best approach for PRs traveling abroad is to either have a valid PR card or be prepared to obtain a PR Travel Document for the flight home. That observation (in March and periodically otherwise) was based on the rules, on the fact that the rules require PRs to present a valid PR card or a PR TD for the purpose of boarding an international flight destined for Canada, even for PRs carrying a visa-exempt passport. In particular, the sporadic reports that PRs with visa-exempt passports have been allowed to board a flight to Canada without showing a PR card should not be construed to mean the rules about showing a PR card do not apply to a PR with a visa-exempt passport, but only that there have been occasions the rule was not enforced. (Reminder: no matter how lax enforcement is, that does not guarantee non-enforcement.)

I am not sure why anyone attempts to confuse what some PRs have reported, about what they have been allowed to do, with what the rules specifically require. Whatever motivation there is to cause confusion about what the rule actually requires, make no mistake, when the leniency period ends it will be far more likely that the PR rule will be in fact enforced, and that a PR abroad without a valid PR card will need to obtain a PR TD in order to make a return flight to Canada even if the PR has a visa-exempt passport.

Not sure if this can be stated any more clearly. It warrants stating emphatically.

For clarity, the sentence fragment you quoted, but in context (with emphasis added, just in case overlooking this language explains the quibbling):

dpenabill said:
In any event, the absence of direct reference to PRs in the more recent news releases should not be interpreted to mean there will be continuing lax enforcement after the leniency period ends . . . on the contrary, it is highly likely that the rules for PRs will be more or less strictly enforced, and thus for sure after the leniency period ends, PRs traveling abroad should be prepared to present a valid PR card or obtain a PR TD for a flight back to Canada, to not rely on travel using a visa-exempt passport.

Rob_TO said:
Yes the best and surest approach is to have a valid PR card or PR TD, though if that is impossible in some cases I'm sure many PRs will find they can still travel on visa-exempt passport only if they must. Up to the individual if the travel is worth the risk.
Perhaps it will be, as you say, "in some cases I'm sure many PRs will find they can still travel on visa-exempt passport," but I doubt that these "some cases" will number many, probably no more than isolated instances. In particular, again, once the leniency period ends the "risk" is very high that a PR will need a valid PR card or PR TD to board a flight to Canada, despite carrying a visa-exempt passport. And, frankly, any suggestion otherwise is troublesome, at best confusing.

Exceptions for U.S. citizens:

The rule for PRs still applies to Canadian PRs who are U.S. citizens. That is, there is nothing in the statutory provisions or regulations which exempts PRs carrying a U.S. passport. However, it appears that it is not likely the PR rule will be enforced for those who present a U.S. passport prior to boarding a flight to Canada, and especially so for flights from the U.S. to Canada. Similarly as to those with dual U.S. and Canadian citizenship.

For reference, full quote:

Rob_TO said:
dpenabill said:
however, in the meantime, a few reports have indicated that this may not be actually enforced on PRs presenting a visa-exempt passport when boarding a flight to Canada.
More than a "few", over a dozen reports at least of PRs traveling to Canada on just visa-exempt passport since the last key date for eTA back in March.

dpenabill said:

It is not highly likely or unlikely this will continue until Nov 9. Any guess either way is pure speculation. I would guess things will continue as-is until the Nov 9 date (unless that gets extended yet again). Yes the best and surest approach is to have a valid PR card or PR TD, though if that is impossible in some cases I'm sure many PRs will find they can still travel on visa-exempt passport only if they must. Up to the individual if the travel is worth the risk. Perhaps we'll hear of an actual report over next few months of a visa-exempt PR being identified as a PR by the airline and denied boarding due to no PR card, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't.
Note: I have made a concerted effort over the last many months to avoid further quibbling over whether there is "substantial risk" or a lesser risk of actual enforcement of the PR rule during the leniency period. Indeed, whenever an aspect of this has been discussed, I have made a concerted effort to include acknowledgement of contrary views as to the nature and extent of the risk of actual enforcement.

I think it is important to be clear what the actual rule requires. And to be clear that whether there have been three or five anecdotal reports over the course of a year, or ten or twenty reports, PRs should be aware what the actual rule is and cognizant that the rule could be enforced.

That discussion, however, does not need to be revisited. What the risk is during the leniency period is rather unimportant because the leniency period is coming to an end SOON . . . if not in just six weeks or so, November 9, soon after that.

The important point is that once the leniency period ends, it is indeed highly likely the PR rule will be enforced, including for PRs with a visa-exempt passport.

I hope the explanation here is sufficient to deter any further efforts to distract from or cause confusion about this.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dpenabill said:
In any event, that is NOT what I said in March. In March I said there was a substantial risk (not a "high likelihood") the rules for a PR boarding a flight could be imposed, despite having a visa-exempt passport,
Um "substantial risk" and "high likelihood" are practically the same thing.

As long as there's a leniency period in place, I would guess PRs can still travel on their visa exempt passports, same as people have done during the past year, and countless years before that. I wouldn't try to quantify the risk since nobody here has any clue how airlines will actually be screening for PR status as well as demanding valid PR documents if a traveler's PR status is flagged at screening.

Once the leniency period ends and eTA becomes 100% mandatory, then the risk is absolute that one will require a PR card or PR TD, no exceptions.

But for the sake of next few months when PRs may find themselves in the situation where they must travel without card or PR TD, they may find it's quite easy still to simply board with a visa-exempt passport.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Rob_TO said:
Um "substantial risk" and "high likelihood" are practically the same thing.

As long as there's a leniency period in place, I would guess PRs can still travel on their visa exempt passports, same as people have done during the past year, and countless years before that. I wouldn't try to quantify the risk since nobody here has any clue how airlines will actually be screening for PR status as well as demanding valid PR documents if a traveler's PR status is flagged at screening.

Once the leniency period ends and eTA becomes 100% mandatory, then the risk is absolute that one will require a PR card or PR TD, no exceptions.

But for the sake of next few months when PRs may find themselves in the situation where they must travel without card or PR TD, they may find it's quite easy still to simply board with a visa-exempt passport.
Still not clear what point you are trying to make. Now it appears you agree with me that after the end of the leniency period there will be a high likelihood the PR rule will be enforced, that PRs attempting to fly to Canada will need a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document.

And that was the purpose of starting this topic, the object of my post starting this topic, to share the news that the leniency period has been extended to November 9, and to remind PRs that after the leniency period ends strict enforcement of the rules for PRs is very likely.

Noting that, after the leniency period ends, strict enforcement of the rules for PRs is very likely notwithstanding how lax enforcement has been in the past, up to now.

If you are still quibbling about quantifying the risk the rule might be enforced in the meantime, quibble away. Unless there is a further extension of the leniency period, in less than seven weeks that discussion is entirely moot. While I believe I adequately justified my previous (when it was relevant) characterization of a "substantial" risk of enforcement, as in an actual not imaginary risk, as in a-risk-with-substance, I have long seen no reason to litigate quantifying that risk any more precisely than that. Thus, to avoid precisely the sort of distraction raised here, I have made a concerted effort to always (or at least nearly so) acknowledge there is disagreement with my characterization of a substantial risk the PR rule could be enforced even for PRs carrying a visa-exempt passport.

But again, that issue really has been rendered largely irrelevant, and will be totally irrelevant less than seven weeks from now, and will practically be irrelevant well before that (except, perhaps, for those who might run it down to the wire, a rather small number I'd expect).

"Um "substantial risk" and "high likelihood" are practically the same thing."

Quibble if you must, but no, a "substantial risk" is not practically the same thing as a "high likelihood," not nearly similar let alone practically the same. Not in the English language I employ, at least not in the context I have used these terms often enough there should be no misunderstanding as to their meaning.

In particular, that there has been a real or substantial (as in something more than an imaginary) risk the PR rule could be enforced does not in any way assert that there has been a greater probability, or high likelihood, it would be enforced during the leniency period. Again, for many months I have been careful to avoid getting entangled in distractions about quantifying the risk. The rules speak for themselves. There has been a real or "substantial" risk the rules would be enforced.

Those who are prudent make an effort to play by the rules.

(I also try to avoid slipping into a habit of suggesting, let alone aiding the evasion or circumvention of the rules. After all, following the rules is what tends to work best the most often. And that is what I aim to offer in my posts, information which will help figuring out what has the better probability of working best.)

"Once the leniency period ends and eTA becomes 100% mandatory, then the risk is absolute that one will require a PR card or PR TD, no exceptions."

Well, there is the biggest exception: Those who carry and present a U.S. passport. And there are other exceptions as well, for much smaller groups however (generally this is about those who are both visa-exempt and eTA exempt, but again, in addition to U.S. citizens this is limited to some specific, very small groups; see eTA information at IRCC for detailed enumeration of exempt groups).

And of course the requirement to show a PR card (or PR TD) is for boarding a flight to Canada. Thus, PRs who can travel via the U.S. will still be able to fly to Buffalo or Seattle or Detroit (or other U.S. destinations) and make the trip to Canada using private transportation on the ground, without needing a PR card or PR TD.

But otherwise, sure, strict enforcement is coming. After all, the point of my raising awareness that the leniency period has been extended was to make the reminder that when the leniency period ends there is a high likelihood of strict enforcement of the rules for PRs, no matter how lax enforcement has been in the past.

"But for the sake of next few months when PRs may find themselves in the situation where they must travel without card or PR TD, they may find it's quite easy still to simply board with a visa-exempt passport."

Very little chance this is true for the next few months unless there is another extension of the leniency period. The current extension ends November 9, which is less than seven weeks away (NOT in a few months, not even two months), and of course that means the flight to Canada must be made by November 9 (unless there is another extension).

To be clear: for PRs anticipating traveling abroad in the near future, unless that trip is coming up real soon, soon enough the return to Canada will happen no later than seven weeks from now (and that would be cutting it all too close), they should be sure to have a valid PR card, or be prepared to obtain a PR TD for the return trip, or be prepared to travel via the U.S. for the return trip. With some exceptions.

axelfoley

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
This debate about visa exempt passport holders who hold expired PR cards risking travel was relevant to me and I was mighty concerned I may be refused boarding in May when I took the risk. I am now in Canada and have applied for my new PR card having been reported for a Residency Obligation breach which I have appealed. In May I gambled and made it into Canada, but before making a decision, I had carefully studied this forum for anecdotes or reports before taking the risk. As such, this forum and the contrasting views from those posting is helpful for people whichever side of the fence they are on this question.