+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Future of doctors with foreign degrees in Canada

Jul 24, 2020
Hello folks,
My wife and I are both doctors from Bangladesh with some experience as general practitioners. We would like to know how difficult it would be to set a career in Canada in the medical sector after coming from the same background, but from a completely different culture. We can spend at most 2 years for further studying. We know this may not be enough for practicing medicine in Canada; but if we take a Masters degree in public health area what kind of jobs can we expect afterwards? Also, is funding available for Masters level education in the public health area? Thanks.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Hello folks,
My wife and I are both doctors from Bangladesh with some experience as general practitioners. We would like to know how difficult it would be to set a career in Canada in the medical sector after coming from the same background, but from a completely different culture. We can spend at most 2 years for further studying. We know this may not be enough for practicing medicine in Canada; but if we take a Masters degree in public health area what kind of jobs can we expect afterwards? Also, is funding available for Masters level education in the public health area? Thanks.
I am not an expert but you may need to redo your residency as well. I don't want to be horribly negative but it is generally very difficult for foreign doctors to practice in Canada and many end up working other jobs they are frankly overqualified for. You may have more success in a field like public health, research, etc.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello folks,
Very difficult as residency spots are competitive and prioritized towards Canadian graduates. Possible to practice but prepare to resettle in rural Nova Scotia or New Brunswick (as an example).

https://www.quora.com/How-can-a-foreign-graduate-become-a-doctor-in-Canada

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Opinion+Canada+shuts+door+Canadian+doctors+foreign+medical+schools/9714934/story.html