+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Funds & Goods & Luggages

juliette1981

Jan 16, 2007
Hello everyone,

Just brand new on this site ! I am coming from Belgium and will be coming beginning of April as a Permanent Resident. I look forward !

Hope you can help me on 3 subjects:

> How do I need to prove the funds that I will be bringing with me ? Is it better & seafe and enough to have a proof of the bank that I have the requested funds and transferred them as soon as I have a Bank in Canada ? I really need your help ! My bank was not so helpful when did ask them ....How did you do ? Personnal experience ?

> For the 2 goods list : Do I need to describe items by items or can I group them ( ex : clothes, papers, personnal belongings ?) For these king of items do I need to write their value ( personnaly I don't know :- ) Last one: If I still don't know and not sure yet what items will follow, what do I need to do?

> Have a doubt for the weight of the luggages: Is it still 2 luggages of 32kg or is it less ? I saw on the internet site of Air Canada that it was maximum 2 & 22kg ...:-( Is it correct ? I suppose I will need to pay some extra charges, but apparently they agree to take them only if there is availability on the flights...But can I take the risk on the day itself ?

I look foward to hear from you ! Many thanks in advance !

G

Ghareb

Hi there
Congraulations in advance :))
As for your questions:
1. Yes, this is right: to have a proof from your bank and transfer ASAP to a Canadian Bank.
2. (If I understand this Q well) When I came to Canada as a temporaray resident, I did not descibe everything in details as they asked about specific things like drugs, plants, cigarettes, how much money...etc so you can follow the instructions on the papers you will receive on the airplane.
3. The Maximum allowable weigth depends on the airlines you are using, for Ex. I know that for EgyptAir it is 2 bags of 32 Kg each so you should ask the company airline which you will use.
Good Luck
Ghareb

juliette1981

Jan 16, 2007
Thank you Ghareb for your answers !

Apparently when you immigrate you need to give when you arrive two lists : 1 which describe the items that you are bringing with you and a second list with the items which will follow up. My question was : Do I need to describe in details?

I am going to check with an travel agency to find a airline company ....hope to find one which accept 2 x 32kg :) travelling from Belgium

Ciao !

G

Ghareb

Hi again
I have a friend who have just made the landing, she was in Quebec then they asked her to cross the borders to the US and come back. I asked her if they required her to fill the TWO lists you mentioned but she told me: They just asked her if have soemthing with her to declare when entering Canada and she said NO and this was all. May be it is different if you are coming from Belgium so my advise is to ask someone with a similar situation like yours.
Good Luck
Ghareb

dacoru

Feb 24, 2006
My understanding, you need to fill the forms b-4 and b-4a for goods to follow.
you can make it as detail as you can. making the immigration process easier at the airport. do not forget to include your valuable like jewerly, electronics with serial #, etc. Finally, if you don't know $$ just give some value. (Ex used pant $15 or $30), it is up to you.
good luck

shabab

Star Member
Jan 25, 2007
Hi Juliette

I have been thru these procedures. I entered Canada thru US Border, I gave them a List of Goods to follow. Canadian Immigration Officer stamped the 2 lists.

First few bags were brought by my sister from USA thru the same Canadian Border, she was asked about the customs, she called me at Montreal, I sent the Immigration officer the fax of the 2 lists. No Customs, no hassels.

Second bunch of bags were sent thru Mail. The Canadian Customs again called me, I went to their office showed the 2 lists. No Customs. No hassels.

My boxes were labelled as following:

Item Label Description Details
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Box1 Winter Clothes 3 Jackets, 4 Sweaters, 8 pair of Winter
socks etc.
Box2 Kitchenware 8 Pieces Tea Set, 32 peices dinner set
etc.
Box3 Living Room stuff Lamp shade, curtains etc.

I guess this will help in putting your belongings in order.

Noy

Star Member
Aug 15, 2006
shabab, would you mind telling me what kind of carrier/mail you use to send your belongings?. Is it USPS?. How much did you pay and is there any limitations on the weight?. We're planning to land this summer, we're a family of 5. thanks again.