+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Funds for Visiting Visa - 2018

Das@loc

Apr 24, 2018
Hello All,

I am very new to this forum and require assistant from senior experts here. My daughter and son in law are PR holders residing in canada for around 3 years now. I plan to visit them along with my wife for less than 15 days during my job vacation. Its very difficult to get longer leaves since I am with Indian Army, got another 3 years to go before I retire. My question is around financial documents.

I have 6000 CAD investments in the form of PLI(Postal life insurance) and PF(Provident Fund) which can be liquidated anytime for this purpose. How much more do I need to show bank balance for a visiting visa for myself and wife. We will be staying with my daughter and may be visiting near by places and return back to home country as I need to report back.(Duty calls).

Thank you in advance.
Das

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello All,

I am very new to this forum and require assistant from senior experts here. My daughter and son in law are PR holders residing in canada for around 3 years now. I plan to visit them along with my wife for less than 15 days during my job vacation. Its very difficult to get longer leaves since I am with Indian Army, got another 3 years to go before I retire. My question is around financial documents.

I have 6000 CAD investments in the form of PLI(Postal life insurance) and PF(Provident Fund) which can be liquidated anytime for this purpose. How much more do I need to show bank balance for a visiting visa for myself and wife. We will be staying with my daughter and may be visiting near by places and return back to home country as I need to report back.(Duty calls).

Thank you in advance.
Das
Rule of thumb is CA$1000 per person per week (even if you're staying with a relative), plus airfare. So that's exactly $6000. You can show all your available liquid funds, plus that investment.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello All,

Thank you in advance.
Das
Your investments in the PLI and PF cannot be shown as 'Funds available' for your visit even if they can be liquidated. This would have worked if you have reasonable liquid funds in your bank account as well. These investments can be shown as part of your overall financial situation.

PF is locked-in especially if it is EPF. It's not even like PPF. No one will withdraw their PF (retirement funds) to pay for a visit.

The funds in your bank account should be earned by you/your wife. Nothing borrowed from anyone. It must match your tax returns and declared sources of income.

Your daughter's finances are secondary and do not really matter for your visit. You must prove that you can afford the visit + airfare for yourself and your wife.

A word of caution:
If you have not traveled abroad to the US, UK, EU, Australia, NZ, etc. in the last 5 years or so, you can expect processing time to take significantly longer than regular processing.

You can also expect background checks to be done on your army service tenure especially if you have worked in sensitive defense areas/ participated in wars/ were deputed to border areas, etc.

So, I would not book any tickets or make any travel plans until the TRVs are issued. In any case, plane tickets do not assure/guarantee TRVs

Last edited:
Reactions: bellaluna

Das@loc

Apr 24, 2018
Your investments in the PLI and PF cannot be shown as 'Funds available' for your visit even if they can be liquidated. This would have worked if you have reasonable liquid funds in your bank account as well. These investments can be shown as part of your overall financial situation.

PF is locked-in especially if it is EPF. It's not even like PPF. No one will withdraw their PF (retirement funds) to pay for a visit.

The funds in your bank account should be earned by you/your wife. Nothing borrowed from anyone. It must match your tax returns and declared sources of income.

Your daughter's finances are secondary and do not really matter for your visit. You must prove that you can afford the visit + airfare for yourself and your wife.

A word of caution:
If you have not traveled abroad to the US, UK, EU, Australia, NZ, etc. in the last 5 years or so, you can expect processing time to take significantly longer than regular processing.

You can also expect background checks to be done on your army service tenure especially if you have worked in sensitive defense areas/ participated in wars/ were deputed to border areas, etc.

So, I would not book any tickets or make any travel plans until the TRVs are issued. In any case, plane tickets do not assure/guarantee TRVs
@bellaluna Thank your for responding, appreciate your help.

@Bryanna Thank you for helping me. I might as well have to show at least 6000 CAD(myself and wife) as savings in my bank account which should be part of my actual earnings. My investments are only additional's to the above. My son works for an IT company back home who is willing to sponsor our trip + airfare, will that work? If yes, what documents are required.

We have not traveled outside home country, this would be the first. I understand the background checks for defense personnel and yes before getting Visa it does not make sense to book tickets.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@bellaluna Thank your for responding, appreciate your help.

@Bryanna Thank you for helping me. I might as well have to show at least 6000 CAD(myself and wife) as savings in my bank account which should be part of my actual earnings. My investments are only additional's to the above. My son works for an IT company back home who is willing to sponsor our trip + airfare, will that work? If yes, what documents are required.
Your son can provide a Letter of Financial Support + his bank statement for 6 months (again, nothing borrowed/transferred shortly before applying) + his recent ITR + his birth certificate/copy of his passport (relationship proof)

We have not traveled outside home country, this would be the first. I understand the background checks for defense personal and yes before getting Visa it does not make sense to book tickets.
You can include a provisional itinerary (I think Yatra.com allows without actually booking the tickets)

Do go through this forum for suggestions on preparing strong applications

Das@loc

Apr 24, 2018
Your son can provide a Letter of Financial Support + his bank statement for 6 months (again, nothing borrowed/transferred shortly before applying) + his recent ITR + his birth certificate/copy of his passport (relationship proof)

You can include a provisional itinerary (I think Yatra.com allows without actually booking the tickets)

Do go through this forum for suggestions on preparing strong applications
Thank you for your inputs. I will have documentation perfected and will reach out to this forum If any roadblock. Appreciate once again.