+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fully vaccinated travellers quarantine requirements

Malekals

Mar 3, 2021
(1) My experience travelling to Canada (early) as a fully-vaccinated international student : ImmigrationCanada (reddit.com)
This reddit user who was fully vaccinated still had to quarantine as the border officer told that apparently the exemption applies to permanent residents and citizens only

Just read the thread.

It seems like some border officers don't know the requirements. That's justifiable because all Canadian media are saying "Fully vaccinated CANADIANS are exempt from quarantine". If you read the article behind the subject line, they emphasize that only Canadians and PRs are to be exempt from quarantine if vaccinated. Yet, the Government of Canada's official site states clearly under the International Students page that all travellers who are eligible to enter Canada may be exempt from quarantine if fully vaccinated.

To avoid all of this hassle, it's better to book a 14 days stay at a hotel or somewhere else just in case, although the only requirement for eligible fully vaccinated travellers is to have a quarantine plan, not booking. It's also not advisable to arrive earlier than 4 weeks from the start of your studies.

Reactions: Kornroll

Shadow_Man

Dec 7, 2019
India
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23/04/2021
Med's Done....
23-11-2020
Passport Req..
24-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
13-08-2021
(1) My experience travelling to Canada (early) as a fully-vaccinated international student : ImmigrationCanada (reddit.com)
This reddit user who was fully vaccinated still had to quarantine as the border officer told that apparently the exemption applies to permanent residents and citizens only
In that reddit post itself they mentioned that no one at the border asked much about hotel quarantine. They mentioned that new rule was applicable to only Canadians was an incorrect info given by some lady at the airport who made a call to someone.

So the new rule applies to international students(clearly mentioned in the site) but it is better to have a quarantine plan in case the test become positive.

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
Well I had no major issues at Toronto airport, albeit it was challenging with all the different hurdles but got through eventually. I am fully vaccinated and allowed exemption from quararantine

Malekals

Mar 3, 2021
Well I had no major issues at Toronto airport, albeit it was challenging with all the different hurdles but got through eventually. I am fully vaccinated and allowed exemption from quararantine

Thanks for your input.

I would appreciate if you can you tell us if you have been asked to show a hotel booking and what were the processes/questions asked so that they determined you're exempt from quarantine.

Reactions: rogerdude1

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
Thanks for your input.

I would appreciate if you can you tell us if you have been asked to show a hotel booking and what were the processes/questions asked so that they determined you're exempt from quarantine.
I had entered all my information on Arrivecan and printed the confirmation prior to travel, including my Airbnb stay for 8 days (which I am actually staying at). They didn't ask about the remaining days because once they had establised full vaccination status there is no quarantine requirement. If they had asked, I would have just said about extending the airbnb. There is no need to worry, as long as you can demonstate full vaccine status with the accepted vaccines, completed arrivecan, have a place in mind if you had to quarantine and provide your contact details to receive the covid test result then you are good to go. At most book 1-2 days hotel if you want to wait for covid test result, I got my negative result by email within 24hours.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
My university told me that I may not need to quarantine since I'm fully vaccinated but still need to have a plan in place. Should I book a cheap hotel for 14 days ? Im concerned about getting refunded. Or is it okay to just let the officals know that I intend to book a hotel ?
Booking or Airbnb offer a lot of refundable options. You can even use filters during your search to show only places that offer full refunds or cancellations.