+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fully vaccinated travellers quarantine requirements

Malekals

Mar 3, 2021
Hello,

Do I have to book a 3-day hotel stopover before departure if I'm fully vaccinated?

I meet all the requirements for fully vaccinated travellers.

Thanks

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
If you do, then you don't :).
Yeah, but not as simple as that.

I'm still getting a bit confused with this, but this is what I understand:
1. If you have not vaccinated with any of the four vaccines approved by Canada (Astrazeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, Janssen), you would have to quarantine 3 days at a government approved hotel and take a test upon arrival (approximately $2k). If your test results negative after those 3 days, you can stay the remaining 11 days at a place of your choice. If it's positive, you must stay at a government approved place for the remaining 11 days.
2. If you have been completely vaccinated (two or one dose, depending on the vaccine), you still have to take the test upon arrival, but you DO NOT have to stay at a government approved hotel. You still have to book a place of your choice to stay 3 days isolated while you get your results. If negative, you are free to go. If positive, you have to complete the 11 remaining days at the same place of your choice.

By "a place of your choice" I mean a low budget hotel, an Airbnb, a family home, etc. As long as you are isolated and have no contact with people already living in Canada.

That's what I've understood so far. Please correct me if there's something wrong in my assumptions.

Reactions: hars77 and Malekals

Malekals

Mar 3, 2021

1. If you have not vaccinated with any of the four vaccines approved by Canada (Astrazeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, Janssen), you would have to quarantine 3 days at a government approved hotel and take a test upon arrival (approximately $2k). If your test results negative after those 3 days, you can stay the remaining 11 days at a place of your choice. If it's positive, you must stay at a government approved place for the remaining 11 days.
2. If you have been completely vaccinated (two or one dose, depending on the vaccine), you still have to take the test upon arrival, but you DO NOT have to stay at a government approved hotel. You still have to book a place of your choice to stay 3 days isolated while you get your results. If negative, you are free to go. If positive, you have to complete the 11 remaining days at the same place of your choice.

By "a place of your choice" I mean a low budget hotel, an Airbnb, a family home, etc. As long as you are isolated and have no contact with people already living in Canada.

That's what I've understood so far. Please correct me if there's something wrong in my assumptions.
Thanks guys!

From what I understood, when you use ArriveCan and upload an acceptable proof of vaccination, it'll not prompt you to book a government-approved hotel.

Plus, you should have a quarantine plan for 14 days in case you're not exempt but don't have to book anything. That's what I understood from their website. Alot of uncertainty and ambiguity. I asked my university, I'll get back to you when they reply.

Reactions: andrews17

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

OP did say he meets all requirements so I assume he has read and understand what Canada considers "fully vaccinated". I responded based on that assumption.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Going by people's experiences on FB, if you are considered fully vaccinated , you don't have to show proof of having a place to quarantine while you wait for your result to come out.
I can't post the link to the fb group, but below is a screenshot. You can search for the group "Canada Hotel Quarantine/Hôtel Quarantaine".

Malekals

Mar 3, 2021
Going by people's experiences on FB, if you are considered fully vaccinated , you don't have to show proof of having a place to quarantine while you wait for your result to come out.
I can't post the link to the fb group, but below is a screenshot. You can search for the group "Canada Hotel Quarantine/Hôtel Quarantaine".

Thank you very much!

It's very helpful.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
FYI, I got noticed from my college (Fanshawe) that I have to quarantine three days at a hotel which I had to choose form a list they sent. All hotels where within the city of London, where the college is located. Prices are very fair though, I paid approximately C$300 for three nights.

Malekals

Mar 3, 2021
FYI, I got noticed from my college (Fanshawe) that I have to quarantine three days at a hotel which I had to choose form a list they sent. All hotels where within the city of London, where the college is located. Prices are very fair though, I paid approximately C$300 for three nights.

That's probably something your university requires! Government-approved hotels for the mandatory 3-day stopover are C$1000+. If it's not something required by the government, try asking your university to waive it for you.

If you're fully vaccinated, you don't have to book anything!

My university got back to me and said I don't have to book a hotel. If, for any reason, I'm not exempt from quarantine, I'll have to quarantine wherever for 14 days.

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
There is no quarantine requirement if fully vaccinated, not even whilst waiting for the airport covid test result. Just make sure it's all submitted in Arrivecan.

Kornroll

Jul 15, 2021
My university told me that I may not need to quarantine since I'm fully vaccinated but still need to have a plan in place. Should I book a cheap hotel for 14 days ? Im concerned about getting refunded. Or is it okay to just let the officals know that I intend to book a hotel ?

Reactions: Malekals

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
My university told me that I may not need to quarantine since I'm fully vaccinated but still need to have a plan in place. Should I book a cheap hotel for 14 days ? Im concerned about getting refunded. Or is it okay to just let the officals know that I intend to book a hotel ?
You can try an Airbnb stay with a refund policy, only book a place where you will be refunded. You just need to plan a stay and provide a contact number, just keep a record of your contacts and places you visit whilst awaiting the pcr test result. To be honest, if fully vaccinated you are the same as a local resident.

Malekals

Mar 3, 2021

That worries me too!

If you wanna reserve a hotel or something do it in booking.com. You don't have to pay until you're there.

Kornroll

Jul 15, 2021
That worries me too!

If you wanna reserve a hotel or something do it in booking.com. You don't have to pay until you're there.
Yes booking.com and Expedia has some options like this but you will still be charged the first night if you cancel on the day of your arrival. It looks like the best option to me right now, as airbnb cancel fees seem to be higher

Reactions: kapuska