+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full-time work under Co-op permit

3dom

Sep 29, 2020
Hi guys,
I am in a pickle of a situation. I'm in my second year of a two-year Marketing program. My program has a mandatory 150 h co-op requirement - I started my internship on April 1, and by the end of summer, my employer offered to extend it with a prospect of a full-time position in the future. My current permit states that I can work no more than 50% of my studies - which is fine with me. I called the immigration officer in my province, and she confirmed that I could continue working if my school is ok with it. I connected with my program advisor - she and other teachers were supportive and agreed to let me move at my own pace. Although the program officially has only 150 h for co-op, an integral part of other courses is working with real companies and implementing the knowledge we get. Despite this, I still doubted whether I'm doing the right thing, which resulted in my call to IRCC. The officer wasn't sure what to say in my situation, but after contemplating a while, he told me that if I work beyond 150 h - I will end up in trouble with my next permit. Did anyone have a similar experience? What would you guys advise me? Thanks in advance!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I called the immigration officer in my province
Who would that be?

Keep in mind the IRCC call centre does not give legal advice. Personally, I don't think you can just keep working without the employer getting an LMIA for a closed work permit.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
So upon the conclusion of your co-op term did you change your program path to include another co-op semester? Or are you working full time and taking classes?

3dom

Sep 29, 2020
Who would that be?

Keep in mind the IRCC call centre does not give legal advice. Personally, I don't think you can just keep working without the employer getting an LMIA for a closed work permit.
The first officer is from the local immigration office who advises the students and helps with PNP, the second one is from IRCC

So upon the conclusion of your co-op term did you change your program path to include another co-op semester? Or are you working full time and taking classes?
So I started on April 1 and worked in the essential industry, which as per the Government of Canada exempts me from 20h limitation until Aug 31. My second year started today, so I have 150 work hours to figure out the best course of action.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
The first officer is from the local immigration office who advises the students and helps with PNP, the second one is from IRCC

So I started on April 1 and worked in the essential industry, which as per the Government of Canada exempts me from 20h limitation until Aug 31. My second year started today, so I have 150 work hours to figure out the best course of action.
I don't get it. Why are you concerned about 20h rule when you are working under a co-op work permit which allows you to work 40 hours. Also, summer break also allows for 40 hours. As you fulfilled the 150 hour requirement already, why do you need to do another 150hours? Or did you take another Co-Op semester?

3dom

Sep 29, 2020
I don't get it. Why are you concerned about 20h rule when you are working under a co-op work permit which allows you to work 40 hours. Also, summer break also allows for 40 hours. As you fulfilled the 150 hour requirement already, why do you need to do another 150hours? Or did you take another Co-Op semester?
My employer wants to extend my full-time internship until at least Dec 31, my program only requires 150 hours of the co-op. So the question is can I continue working full-time under the condition of my Co-op work permit?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
You will need to extend your coop work permit then which requires approval from your school as you would be changing your program length. Would advise you contact your intl department to make sure you're in compliance

3dom

Sep 29, 2020
You will need to extend your coop work permit then which requires approval from your school as you would be changing your program length. Would advise you contact your intl department to make sure you're in compliance
My work permit is valid until summer 2021, and it states that I can work no more than 50% of the duration of my studies - but the official co-op component in my school is much shorter - so, technically, I will be working full-time and studying full-time, which is totally ok with my school. We have online program delivery, and I have their blessing to combine both. I can ask for an official letter from college where they give me their formal blessing and add it to my already approved application, but will this work?