+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full Time Work - Distance Learning Degree

ainul123

Apr 11, 2013
If someone completes his degree through distance learning/online study (WES Recognised) during his full time job, can he claim points for both under FSW program?

Champ16

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ainul123 said:
If someone completes his degree through distance learning/online study (WES Recognised) during his full time job, can he claim points for both under FSW program?
*Bump*

I'm curious too :'(

Big_Boy

Aug 31, 2014
I am on the same boat but as far as know you can claim points as long as you have completed the degree.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please update this forum by sharing your experience with Distance learning degree evaluation.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think for FSW as long as a course is completed, points can be claimed for the course (if it has an ECA).

For foreign education, you must have an ECA, otherwise you get no CRS points.

Whether WES recognizes your course is a different matter. You should visit the WES website and check your course or email WES for an answer.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoacRy said:
I think for FSW as long as a course is completed, points can be claimed for the course (if it has an ECA).

For foreign education, you must have an ECA, otherwise you get no CRS points.

Whether WES recognizes your course is a different matter. You should visit the WES website and check your course or email WES for an answer.
Is there a difference between Full time & Part time study weightage on EE score.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kadian said:
Is there a difference between Full time & Part time study weightage on EE score.
No, for study purposes you may only be awarded education points if the course is completed. If the education is foreign you need an ECA.

If the course is completed IRCC doesn't care whether you completed your course in the prescribed length of years per the Education Institution course outline or took longer. What matters is that the course is completed.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoacRy said:
No, for study purposes you may only be awarded education points if the course is completed. If the education is foreign you need an ECA.

If the course is completed IRCC doesn't care whether you completed your course in the prescribed length of years per the Education Institution course outline or took longer. What matters is that the course is completed.
Please elaborate further, my concern is limited to Regular college Masters (Full time) vs Distance learning Masters (Part-time).
In both categories we will receive education points for course completion.
But since it is mentioned in the EE account to enter mode of education i.e. Full time vs Part Time, then would it make any difference to EE score of an individual.
Is there any disparity in score awarded to Full time (Regular college) education vs Part-Time (distance learning) education ?

prashantduggal

Champion Member
May 1, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
30-08-2017
Nomination.....
17-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-02-2017 (e-APR)
Med's Done....
09-03-2017 (Passed)
Passport Req..
04-09-2017
kadian said:
Please elaborate further, my concern is limited to Regular college Masters (Full time) vs Distance learning Masters (Part-time).
In both categories we will receive education points for course completion.
But since it is mentioned in the EE account to enter mode of education i.e. Full time vs Part Time, then would it make any difference to EE score of an individual.
Is there any disparity in score awarded to Full time (Regular college) education vs Part-Time (distance learning) education ?
If you go by guide then it is very clearly mentioned that if you've studied 30 hours per week then it would be considered as full time.

Rest you know what kind of course you've done.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prashantduggal said:
If you go by guide then it is very clearly mentioned that if you've studied 30 hours per week then it would be considered as full time.

I think you did not get the question .

It is about the impact on EE score and not the definition of Full-time study.

You rightly mentioned the difference between Full or Part time study by hours of weekly study, but the question remains whether the type (Full vs Part) makes a difference on the EE score or not.

I think the best way to check out would be to edit the EE account education section and re-check the respective scores at the end. But since I have not completed the EE account therefore I am not sure if that is possible to do.

Will update you about the findings, if any.

Thanks guys for indulging in this topic. I appreciate your kind inputs.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prashantduggal said:

For user information: Following statement is mentioned in the Education Section with respect to Part time / Full Time

"You must be in class at least 15 hours per week during the academic year to be considered full-time. This includes any period of training in the workplace that is part of your studies"

So If you pursued Distance learning course while you were employed and also if both work experience and study corroborate each other then you can mention "FULL TIME".

shmotash

Jun 12, 2011
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-06-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Done....
31-05-2017
As long as the designated organizations for ECA has assessed your credentials as "Comparable Level in Canada : PhD, Masters, Bachelors, two or more degrees etc." you can claim the corresponding points on your application:

University degree at the Doctoral (PhD) level
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (with spouse) 140
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (without spouse) 150
Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 25

University degree at the Master’s level
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (with spouse) 126
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (without spouse) 135
Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 23

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. (One must be for a program of three or more years.)
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (with spouse) 119
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (without spouse) 128
Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 22

Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession (Medicine, Dentistry, Law, Pharmacy etc.)
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (with spouse) 126
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (without spouse) 135
Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 23

Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (with spouse) 112
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (without spouse) 120
Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 21

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp

For this purpose it does not matter if the education was part time or full time. You claim points based on the assessment.

PiyushAgrawal06121985

Oct 20, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
Nomination.....
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
14-03-2016
Med's Request
None
Med's Done....
20-02-2016
Hello,

I have had this experience.
I did my part time (weekend classes) Post Graduate Diploma (Finance) from Sybiosis University Pune. I was working full time during this period as well.

I got this evaluated from WES and the summary was
"Bachelor's Degree (4 years) and Post Graduate Diploma"

I did go ahead and claim points under Two or more degrees category and got an ITA.

Please do check if the university is recognized and it says so in your WES evaluation as well.

Note: I am still waiting for PPR so I can confirm the correctness of my understanding only once I get it.

Jiogill

Star Member
Mar 27, 2016
Hi,

I have received ECA report from WES as below,

Canadian Equivalency Summary

Bachelor's degree(four years)

Credential Analysis

1. Canadian equivalency: Bachelor's degree(three years).

2. Canadian equivalency: Bachelor's degree(four years).

Remarks: The equivalency for this credential is stated in conjunction with study previously completed(see #1, above)

-------------

Please suggest what should I select in EE profile and how many entries for education

mdfaizu786

Jul 9, 2018
Hi piyush so you claimed both experience and diploma for the same year or did you skipped the year and hided that study year as experience while filling ee profile.? There will be no problem in claiming both experience and study right??