+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW2013 - Declaration of Half brother / Half sister

Prime007

Mar 9, 2014
Dear Members
I am a FSW2013 applicant. I have few half siblings which i did not declare in my application form (because im not in touch with any of them and i dont know where they live expect for one who is still living at address of my previous residence).
I thought this requirement is only in case i intend to sponsor them in future. But now im worried that my visa office may object on the basis of withholding the information. Shall i send them the updates now. The VO has already started processing my application (as my ecase in January). I also got a request to send some updated documents from them in march.
Please advice if this is a major issue.

much_mann

Star Member
Feb 12, 2012
@Prime007

Is form IMM5406E - Additional family information amongst the list of documents you were requested to update?

If not, then I will say play safe and ignore it. It can be a double edge sword as you suggested, it can trigger an alarm to make them feel you were "withholding" information.

If your half brother or sister are already married or maybe older then 18years, you can't directly sponsor them anyways, so I will say that is one less thing to worry about.

If however they want to apply in the future and wants to claim point under adaptability by virtue of having a relative in Canada, I think they can still use you in the sense that they will supply a birth document/certficate that links you to them (same mother/father). The provision of your PR details and other document to justify the link will how they will be established they are related to you.

If at that time you were now asked why they were not on the original information pack, you can give them the honest truth that you guys lost all contact at the time of your application, you neither know where they were or what they were up to. A strain in your relationship, anything you feel will be beleiveable but that now everything is back to normal and you are willing to be on record as related to them and play the needed part in helping them to adapt.

That will be my thought, but you can wait for other suggestion and make up your mind. Good luck

Prime007 said:
Dear Members
I am a FSW2013 applicant. I have few half siblings which i did not declare in my application form (because im not in touch with any of them and i dont know where they live expect for one who is still living at address of my previous residence).
I thought this requirement is only in case i intend to sponsor them in future. But now im worried that my visa office may object on the basis of withholding the information. Shall i send them the updates now. The VO has already started processing my application (as my ecase in January). I also got a request to send some updated documents from them in march.

Prime007

Mar 9, 2014
@much_mann
Thanks for your reply. I thought my topic would be buried behind all the spam. So i posted on main FSW2013 topic as well. And ironically, the suggestion i got from there is quite opposite ???

To answer you questions;

"IMM5406E - Additional family information" was not among the documents updates that my VO requested in march. But i guess the background check usually starts afterwards. And my half sibling are well above 18 and are all married. And there is no chance that they will need my reference for anything related to Canadian immigration in future.

Also initially i thought its better to stay quite, but now i am starting to have cold feet :) that's why i thought to put up this question on forum and see what you guys suggest. Also considering hindsight i am starting to think it will not hurt to send an email to VO. But iam not sure.

much_mann

Star Member
Feb 12, 2012
@Prime007

As you observed. It is a fine line you walk. As many response to your post will always be either for or against clarifying the "omission" in your earlier details submitted. I guess all you can do is look at the reasons offered by each poster and make your decision, as eventually you will be the one to live with the consequence.

The only bit of good point here is that as per policy if you make this further clarification by updating your "IMM5406E - Additional family information", and if the VO "imagines" this is "withholding information" they will give you a fairness letter and give you a chance to clear the issue or invite for an interview to further ascertain any doubts or suspicion.

Prime007 said:
@ much_mann
Thanks for your reply. I thought my topic would be buried behind all the spam. So i posted on main FSW2013 topic as well. And ironically, the suggestion i got from there is quite opposite ???

To answer you questions;

"IMM5406E - Additional family information" was not among the documents updates that my VO requested in march. But i guess the background check usually starts afterwards. And my half sibling are well above 18 and are all married. And there is no chance that they will need my reference for anything related to Canadian immigration in future.

Also initially i thought its better to stay quite, but now i am starting to have cold feet :) that's why i thought to put up this question on forum and see what you guys suggest. Also considering hindsight i am starting to think it will not hurt to send an email to VO. But iam not sure.

gpremdas

Feb 21, 2018
Dear Members
Hi i am now facing the exact same concern. May i ask what happened with your application?

Tahar19

Aug 28, 2018
Hellp, am also in the same situation. Would you please let me know what happened?
hi did you get into any trouble by not mention half sibling on you application . I am in the same boat and would like to knw

Jeremyjoe

Dec 31, 2020
I am just wondering if anyone can answer my query! I got an ITA in the last draw but yet to apply as my case is a bit unique.

1. I have some step-siblings (at least I was told) but I have no information (like DOB, place of birth, etc) of them. While filling the form online, I could not enter their details because of the like of information. Now, can LOE work in this case to mention their names and say I have never met or seen these people?