+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
@GandiBaat @RSub @Taran D

Guys, I need your advice.

I see so much hate against Indians by Canadians on social media, it is freaking crazy! You can have a random post on Reddit about something from India, or something related to Indians and you'd see at least 10 hate comments from Canadians. I got my PR recently and have no clue if it's even a good idea or not to go to Canada. I spent so much time learning French from scratch (I speak fluently now) and one of the main reasons why I completed my Masters overseas was to get additional points for my PR.

Now that I have it and I see a constant barrage of news stories about the failed student visa program, extremely hateful comments on almost all Canadian news channels on YouTube and on Reddit. It feels like the quote "be careful what you wish for or you just might get it". Sure there are quite a few trolls on the internet but there are a lot of issues in the Canadian society and a lot of animosity against immigrants as well- once again, thanks to the student visa abuse.

If I do end up going to Canada, I'm thinking about immediately going to Quebec. Almost everyone told me to not even go even near the GTA. I'm 50-50 right now.
Honestly, it would be so sad to abandon this visa for which I spent so much time and money for. But at the same time I don't want to end up in a racist hellhole where different groups are fighting with each other. I spoke to @iSaidGoodDay about it as well and their experience is much better than what is shown online. But it does make me think that if there is so much open hatred and racism online in Canada against Indians, there certainly would be people in real life who feel that way and are waiting for the right opportunity to express their hatred in real life.

If I try for Europe now, it means spending another 5-7 years for a PR, with no guarantees. :(
GTA is fine, the only major issue is everything is expensive. If you want to go to Quebec, be ready to pay a month's salary in extra taxes compared to Ontario, taxes are sky high and they tax everything, even employer benefits. I think they will soon introduce a tax to just breath. Stay away from those online troll posts.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022

I see so much hate against Indians by Canadians on social media, it is freaking crazy! You can have a random post on Reddit about something from India, or something related to Indians and you'd see at least 10 hate comments from Canadians. I got my PR recently and have no clue if it's even a good idea or not to go to Canada. I spent so much time learning French from scratch (I speak fluently now) and one of the main reasons why I completed my Masters overseas was to get additional points for my PR.

Now that I have it and I see a constant barrage of news stories about the failed student visa program, extremely hateful comments on almost all Canadian news channels on YouTube and on Reddit. It feels like the quote "be careful what you wish for or you just might get it". Sure there are quite a few trolls on the internet but there are a lot of issues in the Canadian society and a lot of animosity against immigrants as well- once again, thanks to the student visa abuse.
As I said before, do not take Reddit that seriously. Especially /r/Canada. Even before whole Nijjar saga, it was a hotbed of "right wing" (more like "Raita wing") of Canada. If you want to not come to Canada it should be more guided by what Canada is today and less or rather none by what Reddit or Youtube comment say.

Hate on internet for Indians is an old thing. Its especially vicious if you go looking for it. Also a lot of "hate" on Indians is NOT by general or even old growth Canadians, its by Khalistanis or even sometimes by Pakistanis who are not even in Canada. There are a lot of combatants of SS Lahore Brigade 31 - Keyboard Division doing their God given duty in their holy war against India. Basically posting shit about India. Dont worry, Bihar Regiment - Twitter Division and Maratha Light Infantry - Reddit Division give a stiff and overwhelming response to all of them. They post equally demeaning shit about everything on this God's blue earth.

And then there is one more reason for hate against India on Internet. It pays to be hateful against India. Not in a conspiratorial manner... but in terms of engagement. On Twitter Youtube Quora if you post a single thing critical India, you will immediately invite some 600 million people armed with low cost 4G LTE or 5G (thanks to our good friends in Antilla) who are young and crazy patriotic and respond everything with a swift "NO U!". Why do you think so many videos are posted which are critical or hateful of India? Some are genuine, most are clickbait to encourage engagement. Its the #NewEconomy. Blame Elon Musk for monetising twitter.

If I do end up going to Canada, I'm thinking about immediately going to Quebec. Almost everyone told me to not even go even near the GTA. I'm 50-50 right now.
Honestly, it would be so sad to abandon this visa for which I spent so much time and money for. But at the same time I don't want to end up in a racist hellhole where different groups are fighting with each other. I spoke to @iSaidGoodDay about it as well and their experience is much better than what is shown online. But it does make me think that if there is so much open hatred and racism online in Canada against Indians, there certainly would be people in real life who feel that way and are waiting for the right opportunity to express their hatred in real life.

If I try for Europe now, it means spending another 5-7 years for a PR, with no guarantees. :(
Look, I have never been to Quebec, so I do not know how they roll but online hate should not be your criteria to choose or avoid any place. Look at language, jobs, medical care availability, housing, weather etc. A lot of places in Canada are facing a crunch of these and that should be your only Raison d'abandonner English speaking Canada. You have a job in Canada? It pays really well? Canada will be "Nice!", otherwise it will be struggle (which is also not bad but struggle none the less). You need care? Check the wait times. You know french? Might be fine in Quebec. You never faced snow and you are 50+? Avoid very cold part of Canada. You are in Software field and in middle management? Its a bit of crunch these days, bring more money, about 1 year worth of your living expenses or more. Thats how you do it.

I will not bat a single eye for reddit or twitter of all things. No Canadian politician (not even PPC) has said "We need to limit Indians coming here!" or anything even remotely close to it. BTW, if I see that becoming mainstream Canadian political discourse, I will take the first flight out of Canada.

I mean, its like this. People have asked me in a very sympathetic way in my mosque, "Oh, you lived in India!! Did you face violence? Did anyone try to lynch you?", to which I always say, No. Most folks, Muslim folks, moving out of India to Canada have seldom faced that. Not saying it does not happen and not saying it has not increased recently but its not as if Radio Rawanda is some kind of norm in India. Canada is ... well... it feels very absurd to even consider hate as a concern here. That should give you an idea of where the bar is.

The most concern I have felt in Canada is about buying a bike and my favourite SUV. Because apparently Canadian police has a very lax attitude towards bike theft and car jacking these days. I cannt buy my Range Rover Valar R-Dynamic due to rampant car jacking and it pains me everytime Modi ji rolls out in the black Rover like a boss and I am supposedly living in a first world country and can not even buy a middle class Valar due to fear of car jackers of all things! Yes, these are real issues of living in Canada. They should guide your choice and not what /u/BobbyMoosewalaGoKhalsa says on reddit.

If you come here, consider Canada to be EconomyPlus of first world and not business class and certainly not first class of first world. Its better but it needs to be much better. There are a lot of rough edges.

I will say what the great Isamu Alva Dyson once said "100 books on travel is not worth one real trip" and "Life without pain is not real". So do keep that in mind when you step out of your home country or come to canada.

Last edited:

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Yeah, some people on reddit say that the ranking is not academic and some countries pay to be in the ranking which is I guess a valid point. So, I am wondering how to solve this perception vs reality about living in Canada objectively or academically? Some said UN happiness index (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report) in which Canada ranks 13th which is not bad. I look at GDP Per Capita (PPP) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita) to measure purchasing power in which Canada ranks 25th which is okay, I guess?
You solve it the way I solve it, I believe.

- Do you earn enough in that country?
- Do you NEED something that Country lacks? (Fresh air in India and recurring healthcare in Canada)
- Is there a Radio Rawanda kind of situation in the country?
- Is the said country in a war or military tension with your ethnic country?
- Can you get a job in the said country if you lose your current job?

And throw the ranking or other shit to wolves.

The same approach is applicable to choosing universities. Harvard and Stanford is glorious but I will take Rice University if I want to do DSP or Purdue University if I want to do networking stuff or Kellogg if I want to be a Product Manager or stuff like that or CUNY Baruch if I want quant roles in wall st. Things in life are not defined by averages. It is defined by what is applicable to your situation as close as possible.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Santosh, leave your car key by the front door, and you will be safe in GTA.
Surprisingly, this is much closer to reality than other online stuff on Canada.

santosh.dh

Star Member
May 18, 2023
As I said before, do not take Reddit that seriously. Especially /r/Canada. Even before whole Nijjar saga, it was a hotbed of "right wing" (more like "Raita wing") of Canada. If you want to not come to Canada it should be more guided by what Canada is today and less or rather none by what Reddit or Youtube comment say.

Hate on internet for Indians is an old thing. Its especially vicious if you go looking for it. Also a lot of "hate" on Indians is NOT by general or even old growth Canadians, its by Khalistanis or even sometimes by Pakistanis who are not even in Canada. There are a lot of combatants of SS Lahore Brigade 31 - Keyboard Division doing their God given duty in their holy war against India. Basically posting shit about India. Dont worry, Bihar Regiment - Twitter Division and Maratha Light Infantry - Reddit Division give a stiff and overwhelming response to all of them. They post equally demeaning shit about everything on this God's blue earth.

And then there is one more reason for hate against India on Internet. It pays to be hateful against India. Not in a conspiratorial manner... but in terms of engagement. On Twitter Youtube Quora if you post a single thing critical India, you will immediately invite some 600 million people armed with low cost 4G LTE or 5G (thanks to our good friends in Antilla) who are young and crazy patriotic and respond everything with a swift "NO U!". Why do you think so many videos are posted which are critical or hateful of India? Some are genuine, most are clickbait to encourage engagement. Its the #NewEconomy. Blame Elon Musk for monetising twitter.

Look, I have never been to Quebec, so I do not know how they roll but online hate should not be your criteria to choose or avoid any place. Look at language, jobs, medical care availability, housing, weather etc. A lot of places in Canada are facing a crunch of these and that should be your only Raison d'abandonner English speaking Canada. You have a job in Canada? It pays really well? Canada will be "Nice!", otherwise it will be struggle (which is also not bad but struggle none the less). You need care? Check the wait times. You know french? Might be fine in Quebec. You never faced snow and you are 50+? Avoid very cold part of Canada. You are in Software field and in middle management? Its a bit of crunch these days, bring more money, about 1 year worth of your living expenses or more. Thats how you do it.

I will not bat a single eye for reddit or twitter of all things. No Canadian politician (not even PPC) has said "We need to limit Indians coming here!" or anything even remotely close to it. BTW, if I see that becoming mainstream Canadian political discourse, I will take the first flight out of Canada.

I mean, its like this. People have asked me in a very sympathetic way in my mosque, "Oh, you lived in India!! Did you face violence? Did anyone try to lynch you?", to which I always say, No. Most folks, Muslim folks, moving out of India to Canada have seldom faced that. Not saying it does not happen and not saying it has not increased recently but its not as if Radio Rawanda is some kind of norm in India. Canada is ... well... it feels very absurd to even consider hate as a concern here. That should give you an idea of where the bar is.

The most concern I have felt in Canada is about buying a bike and my favourite SUV. Because apparently Canadian police has a very lax attitude towards bike theft and car jacking these days. I cannt buy my Range Rover Valar R-Dynamic due to rampant car jacking and it pains me everytime Modi ji rolls out in the black Rover like a boss and I am supposedly living in a first world country and can not even buy a middle class Valar due to fear of car jackers of all things! Yes, these are real issues of living in Canada. They should guide your choice and not what /u/BobbyMoosewalaGoKhalsa says on reddit.

If you come here, consider Canada to be EconomyPlus of first world and not business class and certainly not first class of first world. Its better but it needs to be much better. There are a lot of rough edges.

I will say what the great Isamu Alva Dyson once said "100 books on travel is not worth one real trip" and "Life without pain is not real". So do keep that in mind when you step out of your home country or come to canada.
Thanks for your slightly hilarious and yet very insightful response. I do think I'm gonna stay away from the GTA if I end up going to Canada. Let's see how things work out!

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020

I've never been treated unfairly. Actually, I get treated better than many Canadians who were born here. If you look closely, you'll see that many Indians aren't always nice to each other. Some Canadians might not be very friendly to people from outside their country, maybe around 5% of them. But overall, I can say that Canada has its problems, but racism isn't a big one.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020

Apologies for the late reply....
If you talking about racism about Canada, you have no idea about racism in Australia where the day is not complete without it....
You had worked hard for this,you deserve it, don't let silly social media posts let you down.....
For the province's choice don't go with any one and I say no one's words... no one knows you better than you..research well, then choose it. Research about weather as well, don't ignore it as well...No offence but my experience is not to be surrounded by immigrants as they will keep a constant eye on what's cooking in your home even though they themselves would be sitting on time bomb... Keep it to yourself and you should be fine....
Just enjoy the fruit of your hard work....

santosh.dh

Star Member
May 18, 2023
Apologies for the late reply....
If you talking about racism about Canada, you have no idea about racism in Australia where the day is not complete without it....
You had worked hard for this,you deserve it, don't let silly social media posts let you down.....
For the province's choice don't go with any one and I say no one's words... no one knows you better than you..research well, then choose it. Research about weather as well, don't ignore it as well...No offence but my experience is not to be surrounded by immigrants as they will keep a constant eye on what's cooking in your home even though they themselves would be sitting on time bomb... Keep it to yourself and you should be fine....
Just enjoy the fruit of your hard work....
Thanks Taran for your reply! Actually one of the reasons why I was gravitating towards Quebec was so that I can stay away from the infamous immigrant bubble. But you're right, I need to do more research!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Thanks Taran for your reply! Actually one of the reasons why I was gravitating towards Quebec was so that I can stay away from the infamous immigrant bubble. But you're right, I need to do more research!
No worries....
True... what I have heard is that there is lots of protests nearly every day due to petty reasons ( don't know how true)... weather is harsh but then if determined there is no harm to call any place home....it's life...
All the best....

santosh.dh

Star Member
May 18, 2023
No worries....
True... what I have heard is that there is lots of protests nearly every day due to petty reasons ( don't know how true)... weather is harsh but then if determined there is no harm to call any place home....it's life...
All the best....
Thanks! I think discrimination in Canada is very dependent on where you live. I have a friend who went to London Ontario for work reasons and he was shocked by the amount of open racism he witnessed. People being rude to him at stores while being bubbly and smiley at white customers, people yelling the p word at him in pick up trucks, openly talking to him how foreigners are destroying Canada, etc. But he said that in other larger cities outside GTA and Southwestern Ontario, the racism is not as visible. So I'm hoping for the best.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Thanks! I think discrimination in Canada is very dependent on where you live. I have a friend who went to London Ontario for work reasons and he was shocked by the amount of open racism he witnessed. People being rude to him at stores while being bubbly and smiley at white customers, people yelling the p word at him in pick up trucks, openly talking to him how foreigners are destroying Canada, etc. But he said that in other larger cities outside GTA and Southwestern Ontario, the racism is not as visible. So I'm hoping for the best.
A word of caution though. People throw hyperboles a lot. We've seen way more discrimination at our home countries and I can assure that Canadians aren't as bad at all. Except for housing and poor healthcare, everything else is good(apart from economy?).

Reactions: Taran D and RSub

santosh.dh

Star Member
May 18, 2023
A word of caution though. People throw hyperboles a lot. We've seen way more discrimination at our home countries and I can assure that Canadians aren't as bad at all. Except for housing and poor healthcare, everything else is good(apart from economy?).
I know what you mean. I am just telling you the experiences of someone I know who recently visited London ON.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

S-Nelson

May 21, 2022
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a savings/checking account, and this investment account is liquid. the letter from the institution states so and that it can be withdrawn at any time. But do you suggest I do a gift deed instead? My sister is willing to give me the money for the gift. WIll it create further complications if I suddenly present another POF?
Hello,
How did you resolve this? I'm in a similar situation. Thanks.