FSW WORLDWIDE

qdee

Star Member
Mar 24, 2023
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
28-04-2023
Other than taxes, is there anything else I should take note of? Is it beneficial to hold on to my Canada PR and convert it to citizen? Or should I forgo it let's say if I get a Phd in decent schools in the US or get a GC? I guess Canadian citizenship is great for the social nets - free healthcare & retirement, but I don't know whether I just want to hold on to it because of sunk cost.
With Canadian citizenship, you can get a TN-visa, which increases the chance you might get a job in the US since you don't need a sponsor. As your experience grow your value as an employee should also increase, so you could either talk your employer into filing a PERM for you and participate in H1B draws(doesn't influence TN status) or skip to a different company willing to sponsor you. Now you need to file an I-140 in 180 days, which might sabotage your TN status, but there seems to be a "loop hole" in the system. As a Canadian citizen, you can choose to complete the green card application at a US embassy back in Canada(consular processing), therefore your current stay in the US with your TN visa is still temporary. Some people also renew their TN visas through their company lawyers by mail to the USCIS, because the officers at the border might not be that familiar with the law I guess. If you're from a small country and plan appropriately, you might not even need to worry about renewing your TN since the H1B lottery is easier and GC priority dates move faster.

Now with all that said, I'm not sure this is the "right" way to tackle the problem. It might be harder to get a TN visa in the furture, heck maybe the entire NAFTA thing disbands. The key bottleneck here is still your personal assets, such as the ability to get a sponsor, to self-sponsor, to make investments or even attracting a mate. So I'd make improving your personal assets as a priority, instead of these specific policies.

Reactions: ivicts

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
With Canadian citizenship, you can get a TN-visa, which increases the chance you might get a job in the US since you don't need a sponsor. As your experience grow your value as an employee should also increase, so you could either talk your employer into filing a PERM for you and participate in H1B draws(doesn't influence TN status) or skip to a different company willing to sponsor you. Now you need to file an I-140 in 180 days, which might sabotage your TN status, but there seems to be a "loop hole" in the system. As a Canadian citizen, you can choose to complete the green card application at a US embassy back in Canada(consular processing), therefore your current stay in the US with your TN visa is still temporary. Some people also renew their TN visas through their company lawyers by mail to the USCIS, because the officers at the border might not be that familiar with the law I guess. If you're from a small country and plan appropriately, you might not even need to worry about renewing your TN since the H1B lottery is easier and GC priority dates move faster.

Now with all that said, I'm not sure this is the "right" way to tackle the problem. It might be harder to get a TN visa in the furture, heck maybe the entire NAFTA thing disbands. The key bottleneck here is still your personal assets, such as the ability to get a sponsor, to self-sponsor, to make investments or even attracting a mate. So I'd make improving your personal assets as a priority, instead of these specific policies.
Thanks for the explanation about the TN visa. It is definitely a useful thing to have. I also just know that there is a "loop hole" in the system hahaha, some people say you need to switch to H1B first before applying for a GC.

I guess I should phrase my question better. I would cling to my Canadian PR and Canadian citizenship before I get GC, but let's say after one year in Canada, I can somehow apply for a GC directly, should I directly go to the US with my GC and forgo my Canada PR before getting a Canadian citizenship? Or should I wait for another two years in Canada to get Canadian citizenship before going to the US? What's the benefit of US and Canada dual citizenship?

I definitely agree with your second paragraph, but a lot of this depends on luck as well. Let's see what's the best pathway.

qdee

Star Member
Mar 24, 2023
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
28-04-2023
Thanks for the explanation about the TN visa. It is definitely a useful thing to have. I also just know that there is a "loop hole" in the system hahaha, some people say you need to switch to H1B first before applying for a GC.

I guess I should phrase my question better. I would cling to my Canadian PR and Canadian citizenship before I get GC, but let's say after one year in Canada, I can somehow apply for a GC directly, should I directly go to the US with my GC and forgo my Canada PR before getting a Canadian citizenship? Or should I wait for another two years in Canada to get Canadian citizenship before going to the US? What's the benefit of US and Canada dual citizenship?

I definitely agree with your second paragraph, but a lot of this depends on luck as well. Let's see what's the best pathway.
So it's an amount of time vs Canadian citizenship? I don't know, if you end up hating Canada after a year of living there, no reason to wait for 2 years right? If you like your new Canadian home, maybe you can find something else to do for 2 years before going on an adventure in the US. I don't think Canadian citizenship offers any benefit other than being able to live, work, retire and vote in Canada.

K

KenshiMK1

It's funny but about couple of hours ago one of the most famous AI authors bashed Canadian health care on LinkedIn. Andrey Burkov, if someone is interested to check. It does look like the major benefit Canada had over the US (public medicine) is slowly disappearing. Interesting to see all that...

K

KenshiMK1

There was only one line about capping, and 99% content was about everything else. Regardless, at least they are talking about it now.
Ah, Canadian way. Talk about it for a long time until a problem becomes unmanageable and then talk about how unmanageable a problem is. Meanwhile, nothing gets done.

K

KenshiMK1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fraser-international-students-housing-1.6943009
Ottawa considering a cap on international students to ease housing pressure, says Fraser

scapegoat found.
Frankly speaking, the solution is pretty easy. Points system that is currently in existence. Reduce points for any diploma. Increase points for Masters and PhDs. Give more points to those from top schools in their respective fields. Limit work permits to programs they have studied.

The next steps: prioritize those who got accepted to top schools for Masters or PhD. If a school attracts those who lie on documents, black list that school and refuse anyone who applies there. I drove by a school this past Sunday. Windsor Career College... I mean, are you kidding me?

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Frankly speaking, the solution is pretty easy. Points system that is currently in existence. Reduce points for any diploma. Increase points for Masters and PhDs. Give more points to those from top schools in their respective fields. Limit work permits to programs they have studied.

The next steps: prioritize those who got accepted to top schools for Masters or PhD. If a school attracts those who lie on documents, black list that school and refuse anyone who applies there. I drove by a school this past Sunday. Windsor Career College... I mean, are you kidding me?
Canadian govt's response: best I can do is talk about it

I agree with you @iSaidGoodDay
This is just talk to calm down tensions.
The huge thing is that the narrative immigrants will save the market, tfws will save the market, that is being clearly shunned by the government itself..
The ripples will be felt across the national housing market especially in university towns where investors are very badly affected already by the rates.
I can see buyers bringing up this headline to potential distress sellers, making them even more desperate to sell.

abhiram.kumar

Dec 7, 2018
There was only one line about capping, and 99% content was about everything else. Regardless, at least they are talking about it now.
Hahaha. It’s funny how quickly the Liberal government will begin to address the issue when their poll numbers are tanking hard. They govern based on poll numbers.

Maria Odette

Star Member
Jan 19, 2022
Unfortunately there are still 35K people who now have PRs undeservedly due to the TR to PR and 75 CRS draws. Everything I see a chump, I will always suspect them of getting in due to this draw
The Liberals basically admitted to Canada (for life) a bunch of leeches, for the sole purpose of being able to say they met the immigration target despite COVID.

Reactions: RSub