Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Top US grad school wont help with GC. It will help with employment and then maybe a path to gc through employer but if you were born in india even that path is closed.
I am not from India or China.. so my path is wide open?
If I need to take a 100K loan for a top US grad school, is it worth it with uncertainty to get GC?

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
If I need to take a 100K loan for a top US grad school, is it worth it with uncertainty to get GC?
Thinking about something on the similar lines, may I ask what industry are you in and what education are you planning to get in the US?

I'm in Canada as a pr, mentally and financially preparing to get masters education but friends who have studied from top universities in Canada feel like they shouldve done their masters in the US because apparently US employers don't think Canadian education is on par with the top American education (except uoft)
My friends are from consulting/strategy backgrounds though, not IT or other fields.

ravyn

Jan 10, 2023
If you need a degree, get it from the US. Get OPT visa, work in US get some experience and if your GC does not work out, go to Canada, get Canadian passport and get a free ticket entry to USA via NAFTA visa.
May I ask why the NAFTA visa is considered a free ticket? I understand that it makes it possible for Canadians to find work in the US, but some of my Canadian-born friends have tried this and it is not necessarily so easy. US employers need to prove why they can't hire a US citizen for the job, similar to LMIA here. After having no luck with this route a couple of my friends ended up marrying into the US instead.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hi guys, I have a question regarding SIN, sorry if this has been answered before.
I'm planning a soft landing in BC in late August and want to get my SIN while I'm there. Do you know if I can get it at a WorkBC centre or if I have to go a Canada Service Centre? The information in my COPR letter and what I find online is kind of contradictory... Thanks!
for SIN, you can walk in OR book an appointment (https://eservices.canada.ca/en/service/) OR apply online (https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html)

If in person, you need to visit Service Canada office - https://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/tbsc-fsco/sc-hme.jsp?lang=eng

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Fraser era comes to an end. Now it's Miller time.

Funny that Fraser is now the housing minister. He did a good job at immigration, will he be able to fix housing and affordability? (will he even need to given the upcoming Capitulation in the real estate market?)

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
May I ask why the NAFTA visa is considered a free ticket? I understand that it makes it possible for Canadians to find work in the US, but some of my Canadian-born friends have tried this and it is not necessarily so easy. US employers need to prove why they can't hire a US citizen for the job, similar to LMIA here. After having no luck with this route a couple of my friends ended up marrying into the US instead.
I don't think so, you only need a valid job offer and your passport at point of entry to get the TN visa.
Job market in Canada is so bad that there are people who legit move here to get the passport and work in the US.
And I'm not talking about just Asian people, many Europeans/British people do it too.
Edit: there's a list of occupations that are eligible for this visa and if yours isn't on the the list then tough luck.
I'm assuming your friends are in a non stem background?

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Thinking about something on the similar lines, may I ask what industry are you in and what education are you planning to get in the US?

I'm in Canada as a pr, mentally and financially preparing to get masters education but friends who have studied from top universities in Canada feel like they shouldve done their masters in the US because apparently US employers don't think Canadian education is on par with the top American education (except uoft)
My friends are from consulting/strategy backgrounds though, not IT or other fields.
I am in biomedical research industry, thinking of doing master / Phd in CS / biomedical informatics / computational biology / bioinformatics. What sectors are you in? So you don't think that you should go to Canada master even if they are cheaper since you are a PR?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Any hopes for a new draw today? Last one was two weeks ago, on a Wednesday. I believe they will run a no program specified draw, but the cut out will be very high (around the 500+ pts).

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
I don't think so, you only need a valid job offer and your passport at point of entry to get the TN visa.
Job market in Canada is so bad that there are people who legit move here to get the passport and work in the US.
And I'm not talking about just Asian people, many Europeans/British people do it too.
Edit: there's a list of occupations that are eligible for this visa and if yours isn't on the the list then tough luck.
Yes the equivalent of LMIA in the USA is LCA, the TN visa folks don't need an LCA.
However the TN visa is no as easy anymore, I have team members who tried many times (3 to 4) and the USA border agents who have to issue visa reject the applications a lo. My understanding rejections are a lot more common in technology areas, particularly for GTA folks who try to get it at Niagara. All cases I know are Asians so I don't know if it is racism of the USA immigration personnel

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

GPA3

Apr 13, 2018
I would never encourage someone to take such a big loan if your main intention is to get GC. I personally had to leave the US because I didn't manage to get picked from the H1B lottery and company was not going to file PERM and later I-140 for me on OPT so I had to leave (Expensive and very long process). I would say PERM is the equivalent of LMIA in the USA not LCA and is much harder to get for green card. I worked in tech and was not born in India or China btw yet it's very difficult.

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
I am in biomedical research industry, thinking of doing master / Phd in CS / biomedical informatics / computational biology / bioinformatics. What sectors are you in? So you don't think that you should go to Canada master even if they are cheaper since you are a PR?
Right now I'm in construction procurement and the friends I'm talking about are into consulting, strategy and banking.. All non stem.
I don't have any resources or knowledge to say anything about your field or stem in general tbh.

ravyn

Jan 10, 2023
Their occupations were on the list, it seems like it should have been easier but just didn't seem to work out. They tried for years.