Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
The last time I checked they don't have the same program to immigrate to Australia as they do for Canada. They used to but I think their new government with the conservative leader shut down that program. Again, do not quote me on that as the last time I checked was long time ago and I didn't check it super carefully.

To me? The USA. No question. The major problem is, of course, that there is no good immigration process. Getting F1 is not an issue. Getting H1 with the current demand is borderline impossible. Plus, my spouse won't be able to work until we both get Green Cards. However, if we forget about those problems, then for me, the USA is the best country to immigrate to.

The second option would be Spain. I am in love with that country. Also, sharing the second place with Spain is Canada.

The third option is Netherlands. Then, Germany. Then, Czech Republic.

I have never been to UK but based on what I heard about it from my friends and my cousin, UK is like Canada with lower salaries and better public transportation.
Can you elaborate why do you think the US is the best country to immigrate to?
Maybe because you work in the tech industry and the US offers one of the highest salaries in the world for tech?

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
US is pretty straight forward. As a non-India, non-Chinese: Get your masters outside or inside USA. EB-2 NIW FTW! You do not even need a job offer IIRC.
With job, EB2 is your friend.

Only Chinese and Indians have trouble immigrating.
Is it really that straightforward to get EB2 NIW with a master's degree?
Or let's say if I do master CS in the US, is it easy to get sponsored for EB2 after STEM OPT working in tech industry?
For non-Indians and non-Chinese..

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I never did it myself so I do not have personal experience. But... I know people who self petitioned to become GC holder by NIW.
Search for NIW self petition packages... Google shows one.
https://www.eb2niw.com/niw-do-it-yourself-kit/

Or let's say if I do master CS in the US, is it easy to get sponsored for EB2 after STEM OPT working in tech industry?
EB2 (without NIW) with a job offer is usual processing and required employers support. If you are not Indian and not Chinese, you will be fine with processing times.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
It again depends on the country of birth. People actually don't need Phd's for NIW. As long as you are able to prove that you the best in your field via publications, pending patents, awards, recognition, and so on, you can get it. If you are not an Indian or Chinese, then EB2 is almost current for others and can get the GC in a short period.

Reactions: dankboi

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Just EB2? then, yes even for Indians and Chinese. Tech companies will start processing your GC in the 2nd year itself if you ask them otherwise they will process in the 4th year of your H1b. Very very rarely companies apply for GC on Stem OPT because when your opt expires you are out of status unlike H1B which can renewed after 3 years.

theonlyone1

Aug 4, 2022
Egypt
Category........
FSW
It again depends on the country of birth. People actually don't need Phd's for NIW. As long as you are able to prove that you the best in your field via publications, pending patents, awards, recognition, and so on, you can get it. If you are not an Indian or Chinese, then EB2 is almost current for others and can get the GC in a short period.
I've just learned about this EB2-NIW and it seems interesting at first but if I'm getting everything correctly, a normal (Canadian) ECE master's guy with only work experience (in tech) with no reputable publications/citations has no shot at it, right? The self-petition is for the people with "impact"?

stream

Sep 28, 2022
Quebec premier says province can’t take in more immigrants after feds set 500K target

Globalline
You are talking about the government that insisted on passing Bill 96 against all disagreements, warnings, and rallies. I sure don't need to remind you of the consequences of that law on Quebec's economy. IMO their decisions are mostly based on bias and prejudice, rather than rationality.

Lixa

Star Member
Oct 10, 2020
He can say whatever he wants to say. As a PR, you are free to live and work in any province across Canada, including Quebec. He cannot stop PR from moving to Quebec as it is against their constitutional rights.
I though one was not allowed to establish in Quebec with a "federal" PR and that was the reason they have their own express entry?

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
I though one was not allowed to establish in Quebec with a "federal" PR and that was the reason they have their own express entry?
I think that you cannot land in Quebec when you receive your PR through Express Entry. However, once you have landed in any other province, you are free to move around

Reactions: klubsoda and Lixa

Mashathebear

Mar 11, 2022
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-10-2022
I think that you cannot land in Quebec when you receive your PR through Express Entry. However, once you have landed in any other province, you are free to move around
You can land in YUL Quebec Airport; you will be processed normally. However, you have to be able to prove to the immigration officer that you are not intending to stay and live in the province (airplane tickets to another province, bus tickets, etc).
I guess after some time, you are free to move and live wherever you want.

Last edited:

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
There you go. Firm answer.

We won't risk the housing market in any way, plus we can't accomodate more than that per year. Houses in Quebec cost almost half of that than in the rest of Canada, sure wages are lower as well, but not by very much.
for real, it's better not to go to QC. sucks btw. this province should've been a separate country. i went there last weekend. total failure it is. had a 4 day trip and it included QC-Montreal. never gonna visit that place again, but connecting roads to eastern side of Canada via QC.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Thats not really completely true. First ALL PR are federal. There is no Quebec and non Quebec PR. You become a PR of Canada not that of a province. Typically, when a province sponsors you for a PNP program, you make a commitment to live there for sometime. Thats all.

Now in PR application process they ask if you want to live in Quebec and if you answer yes, AFAIK, they direct you to Quebec driven PR program. Now if you "no", they direct you to usual PR process.

That being said once you become a PR, there is NOTHING in the law that prevents you from living in Quebec. Read PR rights etc in https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

"live, work or study anywhere in Canada"

Quebec is in Canada. So nothing can stop you. Also there is no commitment on your intention. You can intend to do something in morning but next morning your intention may change.

Reactions: stream

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
for real, it's better not to go to QC. sucks btw. this province should've been a separate country. i went there last weekend. total failure it is. had a 4 day trip and it included QC-Montreal. never gonna visit that place again, but connecting roads to eastern side of Canada via QC.
Non-Quebec canada is modelled after English common law. Lots of us immigrants are from former british colonies like India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. So lots of laws and processes for us are very similar to what we have back home.

Quebec, obviously, models itself after french legal system. So lots of things that you take for granted are different.

Plus its cold, they speak french and they are eternally miffed at rest of Canada for Night of Long Knives back in 1980s.

They are basically Tamil Nadu of Canada with a healthy dose of Kashmir thrown in. So tread carefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: dankboi

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I've just learned about this EB2-NIW and it seems interesting at first but if I'm getting everything correctly, a normal (Canadian) ECE master's guy with only work experience (in tech) with no reputable publications/citations has no shot at it, right? The self-petition is for the people with "impact"?
Okay! So hear me out!

EB-2 has two pathways:

1. Advanced Degree
2. Exceptional Ability

(https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-second-preference-eb-2)

Now with the second pathway has NIW wavier for job and there are three criteria to satisfy out of 6 or so. Please be mindful "Exceptional Ability" does not mean "Extraordinary Ability" which is for EB-1 A GC. Exceptional Ability means ability above ordinarily encountered Reference [https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-f-chapter-5]. It is not really top of the line, it is just above ordinary.
  • Official academic record showing that you have a degree, diploma, certificate, or similar award from a college, university, school, or other institution of learning relating to your area of exceptional ability
Note, it does not say anything about GPA etc on the degree, not it says anything about repute of univ/school.
  • Letters from current or former employers documenting at least 10 years of full-time experience in your occupation
Simple, enough? Again, nothing on quality of experience.
  • Evidence that you have commanded a salary or other remuneration for services that demonstrates your exceptional ability
This is not really hard. You need to show what was your percentile of income in your field for your location of job. There are many salary surveys, both government and private. And believe me median is low.
  • Membership in a professional association(s)
Again, this is NOT really hard. IEEE hand out memberships like toffees. You can also volunteer for reviewing papers in disciplines that require experience. Its again not a competition of GPA or Repute or anything like that. Industry experience can help you here. Its mostly a question of showing up. Show up to review papers for a national level IEEE conference and you are done. Choose an area like software engineering which is a lot about processes and matrices.
  • Recognition for your achievements and significant contributions to your industry or field by your peers, government entities, professional or business organizations
This is harder but not impossible. Work with a prof who can write you a letter of recommendation. Or intern at a national level laboratory and possible have your name as a co-author of a research paper that say someone is writing. Contribute by reviewing and reproducing their work. If you are in industry, talk to your boss about publishing your work. Or talk about getting a patent on something. Remember, patents are noval BUT not necessarily hard or complex. Many companies like to patent things just for the heck of it. Also, remember, patent is NOT peer reviewed. Remember, patenting is a lot about lawyer and much less about lab.

Contrast this with EB1-A which really wants you to be the top of the field expert. Someone at a level of a Field medal or a Nobel prize or similar.

Last edited:

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
National identity for starters. At 50% immigrants you basically have no identity and that matters a lot in almost every aspect of life inside the country and outside of it.
Okay. Lets see. Currently the ratio of immigrants is at 25%. What will magically happen at 50% that has not already happened? What kind of twigs will break?

Also be specific by what do you mean by "National Identity". In Canada, it might mean one of the few things, depending upon whom you ask:
1. Canadian citizen
2. Caucasian Race
3. Irish-Scottish ancestry
4. "We are NOT USA"
5. First Nation ancestry

For 1st, you are covered. No issues. And it is the most cited one in all civil discussions. It does imply adhering to Canadian values (which are a real thing even mentioned in constitution as well) though degree is always up for debate.

2nd and 3rd are weird because no one says it aloud because well... Even those Canadians do not want to look like their cousins south. It is there but it is more subtle. I highly doubt it will ever become a political talking point because the bigger Canadian identity is (4)... this (I kid you not) "We ARE NOT USA", even though hilariously, a lot of folks in Canada have family ties beyond 49th parallel and many hold dual passport. Its a canadian thing that I got reminded a lot while living and working in Canada. "We are not USA" is perhaps the strongest sense of Canadian-ness I have seen here.

5th is suppressed. Politically and in every damn way possible. Though it is rising a bit too.

If you are confusing Canadian "National Identity" to something like "USA USA USA" one, refer to 4.

So what do you mean, when you say "National Identity" here? In Canadian context. And what more will go wrong at 50% given we are already at 25%.

Quebec will be seperated from the rest of Canada as soon as you reach 30-35% total immigrants. Last time they went for a referendum, only 50,000 votes were in favor to stay united.
You know, Quebec has one of the highest public support for immigrants. 70% According to the survey I was looking at and linked before.

Also, as I said before as well, Quebec issues is NOT really about immigration but about language AND a sense of betrayal from an even back in 80s during repatriation of constitution AKA "The Night of Long Knives" or "The Kitchen Cabinet". Its hilarious. Its very Canadian. And its very painful to Quebecers -- AFAIK.

So, if quebec separatism happens, blame 80s and old True-dough.

You might already have read this fun story, but for sake of others who are not here : https://www.cbc.ca/history/EPISCONTENTSE1EP17CH1PA3LE.html .

So no, if Quebecers quit Canada, its not going to be because of immigrants. it will be the old True-dough and his "machinations" and language identity. But then anyone coming to canada knows this : You want to go live in Quebec, learn the language. Even now, the issue is not immigration per-say but the language identity. Quebecers do not want to bring in people in numbers because simply speaking they do not want to dilute french language based identity. More deeply, they do not trust english speaking part of Canada due to their history.

If a couple makes $200k+ NET a year combined, I would think $20k doesn't make a difference.

A family between $80k - $130k NET a year it matters, and those below those levels its almost a necessity.
Ummm... just to be clear. Do you mean 22K EVERY YEAR or one time? One time is not going to cut it. 22K every year, i dunno. Again, denmark, finland and sweden. It does not work. Like EVER.

From this answer alone, I can guess that you guys fall in the $130k+ NET a year salary combined, probably $200k+, so I guess I answered this already.
Refer to above.

Sure, that why you have a Super Visa and they can stay up to 5 years with you uninterrupted. They need to have PR as well ?

They are retired, what do they contribute to Canada, except emotionally/mentally helping their immidiate family members ? They are actually a cost.

If you were to bring your both parents and you already have a wife and two kids, according to IRCC if you have a GROSS income of $60,228 you are eligible to do that.

Tell me one place in Canada were 6 people can live off with that income. Remember that is GROSS, not NET.
Super Visa is GOOD, it helps but it does NOT allow people to live without major massive issues. Allow me to explain.

Most of healthcare in Canada is based around provincial medical care and atleast in two provinces : BC and Ontario, it is not just HARD but outright impossible to get local health care bill your insurers if they are not provincial insurance.

This is why PR is sought. IF Canada fixes this stupid-stupid issue, people can buy insurance from private providers and likes of cygna and live with just supervisa, again and again.

Otherwise, you need to have a massive stash of cash just to pay and then retrive money from insurance. It is NOT a cost thing but a billing thing. Its stupid and exists due to inefficient billing practices in many health deparments across canada.

Besides, 28K? Thats a drop in ocean when you are bringing in 500K folks.

Yup, as you said, in a lot of punjabi families, a.k.a immigrants, not Canadians. Not continent Europe as well.
Ummm... this is weird. Do you consider a punjabi in Canada to be more immigrant than an Italian in Canada? I doubt that Canadians feel any special attachment to greeks or Lithuanians etc. Most of the non-english speaking Europe suffers from same language barriers as punjabis do. Not to mention they also form cliques like punjabi do.

Look at any Ukrainian business, you will find more ukrainians. Its also a Canadian phenomenon. People almost always have cliques.

Last edited: