+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

D

Deleted member 1083629

Okay few things.

There are areas in Canada with MASSIVE shortage of labour. Trades, Medical Professionals, General Workers, Seasonal Workers come to my mind.

You need to take an appointment with a plumber for 1-2 weeks in many cities to get you leaking faucet fixed. I know because I got it fixed. My landlord's father is in building business and EVEN then it took her 2 weeks to get an appointment with a plumber. Imagine that! Got a blocked toilet? God save you! The Plumbers do not agree to speed up your appointment even if you pay 3 times. There are simply not enough trades people left!

Then there is complete crisis in provinces like BC for doctors and medical practitioners. If you go to ER, be ready to wait for 8 hours before someone takes a look at it. You will be waiting with your emergency. Good luck. Why? Becuase they have just one or two ER doctors. Thats it! I kid you not, but people had to take out ads to get prescription renewed! Part of it is because Canada is not allowing enough residency positions and part is because Canada trained doctors at times leave for USA.

I am in the process of buying a home. I wanted to get the place assessed by a structural engineer as it was built in 1950s.. All homes here are like that. Here is the situation. Structural Engineers are so booked that there is a 3-4 weeks waiting time. Yes just to look at the place, check foundation for cracks etc, seepage etc. Its hard to close a house sale reliabily because of it. house inspectors do not do decent job and engineers are in very short supply. Some of them plain tell you that they will not do a assessment on site and will write you document if you need it for a loan. Some of them just do not want to do assessment at all and only do construction work.

Almost ALL the harvesting of major produce in Canada is done by seasonal workers from abroad. Yes, Canada has trouble in even getting their food harvested without seasonal worker! How do I know? I know because vancouver island has a small but good farming community. There are literal bidding wars for local labour and remaining farmers have to arrange for foreign labor. In the middle of pandemic, Canada had to allow entry for these workers as an exception so produce could be harvested.

Same goes with General Worker, there are many businesses closing because it is hard to get workers in the place where I live.

In technology sector, as I mentioned before in my past posts, it has been very hard to recruit decent talent. It took my employer 1 year to close a manager position. An engineer left for another employer. He came back after 10 months because of his family conditions. We did not even take any interview and hired him back on the spot!
So, you touched couple of important points and I agree with most of them.

Yes, I agree about service. I didn't have to wait for 2 weeks to get a plumber back in 2019; got one within 3 days but the service level was awful. Maybe, things changes now or maybe, good you gotta wait for good ones as they have too many clients.

I was specifically talking about the positions where the low level of expertise is required. Timmies, Subway, McD.... you know, the places that used to hire bunch of high school kids for a minimum wage. Now, those places hire recent immigrants (international students, new PRs). Why? To keep the salaries low as locals refuse to work for those salaries. Even high schoolers. That practice creates a certain level of dissatisfaction among young adults that are struggling to get a job. Yes, they can get a job in McD but that's doesn't pay enough and they have no negotiating power against the corporation; McD would just hire an international student from a prestigious Lambda college to work for minimum wage.

In tech. sector; it depends. I am personally going through the interviews right now and let me tell you something. Some companies think that they are Google and ask questions that I saw at FB interviews. On top of that, there are 3-5 interviews for each position. It's not really about the lack of talent (well, maybe there is a lack of one for senior/managerial positions); it's more about the too high of requirements and convoluted process. My interview at a super prestigious HF in Zurich was less challenging than an interview at TD in Canada; higher salary as well (180K TC vs. 110K) and I don't even mention the boost my CV will get after working at HF for year or 2.

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
So, you touched couple of important points and I agree with most of them.

Yes, I agree about service. I didn't have to wait for 2 weeks to get a plumber back in 2019; got one within 3 days but the service level was awful. Maybe, things changes now or maybe, good you gotta wait for good ones as they have too many clients.

I was specifically talking about the positions where the low level of expertise is required. Timmies, Subway, McD.... you know, the places that used to hire bunch of high school kids for a minimum wage. Now, those places hire recent immigrants (international students, new PRs). Why? To keep the salaries low as locals refuse to work for those salaries. Even high schoolers. That practice creates a certain level of dissatisfaction among young adults that are struggling to get a job. Yes, they can get a job in McD but that's doesn't pay enough and they have no negotiating power against the corporation; McD would just hire an international student from a prestigious Lambda college to work for minimum wage.

In tech. sector; it depends. I am personally going through the interviews right now and let me tell you something. Some companies think that they are Google and ask questions that I saw at FB interviews. On top of that, there are 3-5 interviews for each position. It's not really about the lack of talent (well, maybe there is a lack of one for senior/managerial positions); it's more about the too high of requirements and convoluted process. My interview at a super prestigious HF in Zurich was less challenging than an interview at TD in Canada; higher salary as well (180K TC vs. 110K) and I don't even mention the boost my CV will get after working at HF for year or 2.
hi @MajorGrom, in your previous post, you said that for the tech sector, it is possible to get a job before landing in Canada compared to other jobs. However, in this post, it seems that you implied it's difficult to get a job even in the tech sector. So, which one is correct?

D

Deleted member 1083629

hi @MajorGrom, in your previous post, you said that for the tech sector, it is possible to get a job before landing in Canada compared to other jobs. However, in this post, it seems that you implied it's difficult to get a job even in the tech sector. So, which one is correct?
What do you mean: "Which one is correct?". Those are not mutually exclusive events. You being in Canada will not make you pass tech. interviews better.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Okay few things about interviewing in Canada.

1. There are American companies operating in Canada. There are Canadian companies operating in Canada. There are non-American-non-Canadian companies operating in Canada. American ones have a well developed hiring process, have outsourced parts of its recruiting process to specialized companies like hackerrank etc. Canadian ones tend to be two man and a goat kind of operation when it comes to hiring. They simply don't know so they copy American companies in that regards -- one can exclude likes of shopify but rest are very much like this. They ask google questions because they do not know better. Sometimes they do not even know the answers properly neither they can ask follow up questions. I usually avoid them like plague. Then there are non-American-non-Canadian companies. These are european or asian giants operating in Canada. They bring their own recruitment process, which is usually opaque.

My own experience:

I am interviewing with American-one and another major non-American-non-Canadian company. American-one interview went alright as expected. Their questions were fresh and with a twist over basic knowledge. Their recruiters feel like real people and not bots. I am waiting for the result. The other company is interesting. It is NOT canadian but still it uses questions gleaned from one the FAANG companies. Here is an example:

You have two arrays. Print the numbers from array one that is closest to those in array two. Fun little question. I asked if they need an optimal answer or even efficient answer. Response : "ummm... no... lets just do it or lets see how you will do it". Okay! I started with brute force. 2 mins done. running. One bug due to confusing < and > (yeah it happens commonly with me). Fixed and its done. O(n^2) solution and I can do better. Then I proposed, let me try to optimize it. They said, is it possible. I said sure! So basic optimization. Sort array two in (n log(n)) time. Now each item you want to find that is nearest to your query can be found via binary search in log(n) time. This is basically property of height balanced binary search tree. Total (n log(n) ) solution. They were impressed. No further question on algo or DS! Lots of questions on load balancers, REST etc.

The key take away is, even though these folks ask Google or FB questions, they may or may not really appreciate what it is or ask good follow up questions to really test your solution. Its like a strange recruiting ritual these folks are doing. I think many of them do to see you code in real time.

Last edited:

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Its both. You CAN and quite a few folks DO get a job before landing. But its also that interviewing process in Canada is a bit gruelling.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Okay few things about interviewing in Canada.

1. There are American companies operating in Canada. There are Canadian companies operating in Canada. There are non-American-non-Canadian companies operating in Canada. American ones have a well developed hiring process, have outsourced parts of its recruiting process to specialized companies like hackerrank etc. Canadian ones tend to be two man and a goat kind of operation when it comes to hiring. They simply don't know so they copy American companies in that regards -- one can exclude likes of shopify but rest are very much like this. They ask google questions because they do not know better. Sometimes they do not even know the answers properly neither they can ask follow up questions. I usually avoid them like plague. Then there are non-American-non-Canadian companies. These are european or asian giants operating in Canada. They bring their own recruitment process, which is usually opaque.

My own experience:

I am interviewing with American-one and another major non-American-non-Canadian company. American-one interview went alright as expected. Their questions were fresh and with a twist over basic knowledge. Their recruiters feel like real people and not bots. I am waiting for the result. The other company is interesting. It is NOT canadian but still it uses questions gleaned from one the FAANG companies. Here is an example:

You have two arrays. Print the numbers from array one that is closest to those in array two. Fun little question. I asked if they need an optimal answer or even efficient answer. Response : "ummm... no... lets just do it or lets see how you will do it". Okay! I started with brute force. 2 mins done. running. One bug due to confusing < and > (yeah it happens commonly with me). Fixed and its done. O(n^2) solution and I can do better. Then I proposed, let me try to optimize it. They said, is it possible. I said sure! So basic optimization. Sort array two in (n log(n)) time. Now each item you want to find that is nearest to your query can be found via binary search in log(n) time. This is basically property of height balanced binary search tree. Total (n log(n) ) solution. They were impressed. No further question on algo or DS! Lots of questions on load balancers, REST etc.

The key take away is, even though these folks ask Google or FB questions, they may or may not really appreciate what it is or ask good follow up questions to really test your solution. Its like a strange recruiting ritual these folks are doing.
Hmm... Thank you for the tips. Will try that.

I had 2 interviews with non-American-non-Canadian companies; Rakuten and Paytm. Paytm was the company I described in one of my posts here that was deleted (I think). Indian guy pretty much talking smack about other Indian developers. I withdrew my application after that stage. The Rakuten one was hard AF. It was a print all variations of balanced paranthesis. I might be a little rusty on LC so I froze on that one. However, remembering my interview at Yandex, I thought I could describe my thoughts process and see if I can get any hints from the guy. The guy was sitting there with a poker face the whole time and didn't say a word. I was able to get only one variation using Q and couldn't proceed. Only then, he said something like: "Finished?". I was like WTF?!! I thought this was supposed to be a collaborative process.

Mashathebear

Mar 11, 2022
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-10-2022
Guys and gals, I can hardly believe it but it's PPR time!

After all those years waiting for an ITA, the time between AOR and PPR sure went by quick!

Thanks again to the many helpful members on this forum for all the encouragements, advice, tips, and analyses of IRCC behaviour (as futile as that may sometimes have been). For those still waiting, I hope to be able to hear of your successes soon. See y'all in Canada!

Wow. Congratulations!
This sure went fast. Let's hope IRCC keep the pace like that from now on.

Reactions: aikodad and RSub

soniclife

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
Since many here are curious if they could land job before they can come to Canada... I work in tech and have recently selected two people one from Isreal and one from south America(brazil) who had valid permits and were looking to move to Canada. We found the right people and offered them job on condition that job offer will be given once they land . This was coz my company wanted to be legally assured since during landing the actual permit is given.
So it depends and is not unheard of.

But typically many companies feel more assured that you are already in Canada andhave validpermits to go ahead in the interview process.

armitabbsn

Oct 6, 2020
Iran
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Member @epasil

HOLY S*** I JUST RECEIVED MY PPR. THAT WAS SO FAST!!!

AOR: September 20th
UCI Update: October 5th
Medicals passed: October 18th
Ghost update: October 25th
Ghost update: October 27th
PPR: October 28th

--

How about the guy above in 39 days. :D :D
How is it even possible!! They are hiting cec records

YNWA

Jun 20, 2019
Guys whats your opinion on the TEER System implementation, will it cause the EE draws to be paused for a week or a month.
OR will they continue doing the no program specific draws?

Secondly the B-19 categories will be announced in January 2023, so will they stop draws after the announcement?

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I wonder how many new immigrant reach that salary within the first 3 years; speaking specifically about GTA. Would love the statistics.
My take on this have always been, you should come with a comfortable job via an internal transfer.

Now if that is not possible, look for other factors. Like if you can work in a cheaper city in Canada.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I had 2 interviews with non-American-non-Canadian companies; Rakuten and Paytm. Paytm was the company I described in one of my posts here that was deleted (I think). Indian guy pretty much talking smack about other Indian developers. I withdrew my application after that stage. The Rakuten one was hard AF. It was a print all variations of balanced paranthesis. I might be a little rusty on LC so I froze on that one. However, remembering my interview at Yandex, I thought I could describe my thoughts process and see if I can get any hints from the guy. The guy was sitting there with a poker face the whole time and didn't say a word. I was able to get only one variation using Q and couldn't proceed. Only then, he said something like: "Finished?". I was like WTF?!! I thought this was supposed to be a collaborative process.
Rakuten is trying to be Amazon of Japan. In my 20s I wanted to join Rakuten so that I can go to Japan for errr... cultural exchange :p.

If you want, try doing examples from this : https://neetcode.io/practice

Start with Blind 75 set and then move upto larger set. I have been doing it for past 4 months. Helps you to perform strong in coding interviews.

Oh and I personally avoid Indian companies. Too much politics for me to stay in them.

And before someone asks, no, its not religious politics. Its good old backstabbing office politics.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1083629

Rakuten is trying to be Amazon of Japan. In my 20s I wanted to join Rakuten so that I can go to Japan for errr... cultural exchange :p.

If you want, try doing examples from this : https://neetcode.io/practice

Start with Blind 75 set and then move upto larger set. I have been doing it for past 4 months. Helps you to perform strong in coding interviews.

Oh and I personally avoid Indian companies. Too much politics for me to stay in them.

And before someone asks, no, its not religious politics. Its good old backstabbing office politics.
Oh yeah )) I kinda wanted to buy their e-reader and I opened their website. I was like dude, that's like Amazon lol

Yes, I started with grokking the coding interview. Will jump to neetcode and Sean Prashad once I am done with those.

Yes, I didn't know Paytm was Indian company. I thought the interview went fine and towards the end he made a remark about his own nation. I am like nah, my guy, you are toxic AF.

D

Deleted member 1083629

My take on this have always been, you should come with a comfortable job via an internal transfer.

Now if that is not possible, look for other factors. Like if you can work in a cheaper city in Canada.
For quite a lot of people, that's tough as hell. Not many work at companies with an office in Canada; even if they do, that doesn't guarantee that there will be a position in Canada for a transfer.

I would not move to a cheaper (and thus, smaller) city if I were a new immigrant. It's mainly because of jobs. Toronto is expensive but there are many job postings. Saskatchewan might be cheaper but good luck finding a good SWE job there.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I would not move to a cheaper (and thus, smaller) city if I were a new immigrant. It's mainly because of jobs. Toronto is expensive but there are many job postings. Saskatchewan might be cheaper but good luck finding a good SWE job there.
These days there are lots of companies offering remote work option. 100K in a cheaper city may go long way.

Imagine paying 700 CDN for rent instead of 2700 CDN.

Reactions: AlmostThere2