+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

D

Deleted member 1006777

I think if your duties fits that 1 line, it should be ok. Even if they can't reach the company, if you have the contract letter, and payslips, bank statements etc to support your claims, then you should be fine.
Yeah I tried to make the employment letter as close to the description as possible. I also plan to attach the employment letter, original offer letter, payslips, my US tax document, and contact info of my manager there (who no longer works at that company).

Here's the official description (two relevant ones to my job):
  • Biomedical engineers design and develop medical diagnostic and clinical instrumentation, equipment and procedures; develop devices to assist persons with disabilities; advise hospital administrators on planning, acquisition and use of medical equipment; and modify and install or supervise installation of equipment.
  • Engineering physicists and engineering scientists conduct research, develop processes, programs and equipment to expand fundamental knowledge in the applied sciences and engineering and to support advanced engineering and scientific applications.

So I could either classify as a biomedical engineer and an engineering scientist based on this. And my employment letter kind of halfway matches both of these. Here's what my employment letter says.

• Conduct extensive disease state research to develop a fundamental understanding of cardiovascular and oncological diseases, as well as current and emerging treatment technologies
• Identify high value clinical variables for future design, prototyping, and manufacture of medical devices
• Create and review internal procedural flow diagrams to understand in-hospital procedural use of medical devices
• Identify competitive solutions and generate novel technology specifications to support the medical device portfolio at <company>

As you can see, it doesn't exactly match either. Color coded to show what parts match, but somehow I doubt IRCC officials will look that closely if it doesn't match on a superficial level.

Last edited by a moderator:

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Yeah I tried to make the employment letter as close to the description as possible. I also plan to attach the employment letter, original offer letter, payslips, my US tax document, and contact info of my manager there (who no longer works at that company).

Here's the official description (two relevant ones to my job):
  • Biomedical engineers design and develop medical diagnostic and clinical instrumentation, equipment and procedures; develop devices to assist persons with disabilities; advise hospital administrators on planning, acquisition and use of medical equipment; and modify and install or supervise installation of equipment.
  • Engineering physicists and engineering scientists conduct research, develop processes, programs and equipment to expand fundamental knowledge in the applied sciences and engineering and to support advanced engineering and scientific applications.

So I could either classify as a biomedical engineer and an engineering scientist based on this. And my employment letter kind of halfway matches both of these. Here's what my employment letter says.

• Conduct extensive disease state research to develop a fundamental understanding of cardiovascular and oncological diseases, as well as current and emerging treatment technologies
• Identify high value clinical variables for future design, prototyping, and manufacture of medical devices
• Create and review internal procedural flow diagrams to understand in-hospital procedural use of medical devices
• Identify competitive solutions and generate novel technology specifications to support the medical device portfolio at <company>

As you can see, it doesn't exactly match either.
Can you get your former manager to write a recommendation letter attesting to you performing duties similar to what your chosen NOC says?

D

Deleted member 1006777

Can you get your former manager to write a recommendation letter attesting to you performing duties similar to what your chosen NOC says?
The NOC descriptions are absolutely nonsensical. There is no way I can make it sound like that's what the codes describe. I've color coded the descriptions to show what parts match (in the original message on the forum), but I doubt IRCC competence to look that closely.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1083629

The NOC descriptions are absolutely nonsensical. There is no way I can make it sound like that's what the codes describe. I've color coded the descriptions to show what parts match (in the original message on the forum), but I doubt IRCC competence to look that closely.
You have been on this forum for a while so I am sure that you know it better than anyone else but still..

After R10, they should state a reason for rejection. If they are not happy with your NOC, then they have to list another one that is more suitable for your job description. There are some positions where it's fairly challenging to do; data engineer with the focus on software, data scientists that focus on model optimization, and some others. If you are a biomed and there is no other position (including technician ones) that match your JD better than NOC 2148, then you won't face a problem.

Same for your employment contact information. IRCC will most likely try to get as much documentation out of you as possible, instead of calling or contacting your employer. It's easier for them, and it's more effective.

IMO, you will be fine. You are slowly starting to go through what we all have been going through; immigration anxiety where you question everything you submit.

D

Deleted member 1006777

After R10, they should state a reason for rejection. If they are not happy with your NOC, then they have to list another one that is more suitable for your job description.
This is the thing though, if they list a reason and give me another NOC, and then reject the application anyway, I'm still stuck with a rejected application, and low to no chance of getting an ITA next year.

There's a couple of other hiccups in my application that I'm pretty sure I've accounted for, but this is the only thing I haven;t been able to resolve.

But yeah, hopefully it's not an issue. We'll see. Let me get an ITA first lol

D

Deleted member 1083629

This is the thing though, if they list a reason and give me another NOC, and then reject the application anyway, I'm still stuck with a rejected application, and low to no chance of getting an ITA next year.

There's a couple of other hiccups in my application that I'm pretty sure I've accounted for, but this is the only thing I haven;t been able to resolve.

Yeah, ITA first. Still, if they give you another NOC with rejection and the new NOC doesn’t make sense to you, lawyer up and ask for judicial review. My point is that, unlike for a student visa, where they will give you a BS reason, here they have to do legwork and find another NOC that makes more sense.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018

If this becomes an issue, you will see Review Required for sure by the agent, then it is upto the VO what to do.

ElvisRamaj

Apr 26, 2021
Tirana, AL
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Isn't it misrepresantation to chose a NOC that you can't back it up with a letter of reference ?

Also, about the NOC, you should be able to demonstrate that you do some or all of the duties/responsibilities listed. Most of the requirements listed are somewhat broad, so if your roles don't even match within those lines, then that's plain mirsrepresantation.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Isn't it misrepresantation to chose a NOC that you can't back it up with a letter of reference ?

Also, about the NOC, you should be able to demonstrate that you do some or all of the duties/responsibilities listed. Most of the requirements listed are somewhat broad, so if your roles don't even match within those lines, then that's plain mirsrepresantation.
It’s not misrepresentation. I won’t go into details of what is misrepresentation but it’s not one. Pretty much, a misrepresentation occurs when one presents or hides facts that if present would lead to a a potentially different decision. There is no fact hiding here; there is a mistake of not choosing a correct NOC.

D

Deleted member 1006777

Yeah I don't see any possibility of this being in the realm of misrepresentation. Wrong NOC, sure. I'll deal with that if it gets there. Misrepresentation? Not even close.

And if you're specifically referring to the requirements I posted above, that's not even remotely broad. I know dozens of biomedical engineers in different departments in the 3 largest med device companies in the US, and none of them fit the requirements IRCC lists under 2148.

Empress32

Star Member
Apr 7, 2021
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
February 23, 2021
Med's Done....
15-03-2021
Yeah I don't see any possibility of this being in the realm of misrepresentation. Wrong NOC, sure. I'll deal with that if it gets there. Misrepresentation? Not even close.

And if you're specifically referring to the requirements I posted above, that's not even remotely broad. I know dozens of biomedical engineers in different departments in the 3 largest med device companies in the US, and none of them fit the requirements IRCC lists under 2148.
Have you looked at 2211 or 3211? I don't know if it might fit better (especially 3211) as I recall coming upon both during the search for my NOC. You can check it out.

Reactions: AlmostThere2
D

Deleted member 1006777

Have you looked at 2211 or 3211? I don't know if it might fit better (especially 3211) as I recall coming upon both during the search for my NOC. You can check it out.
Oh interesting. Just took a look, don't seem to match. From what I see, 2148 is the best I could do. It does match the NOC a decent amount, there's a bunch of keywords in my employment letter that match IRCC's requirements. I'm just concerned IRCC won't look into it closely enough and reject. We'll see what happens

ElvisRamaj

Apr 26, 2021
Tirana, AL
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
@MajorGrom @mushymush

I don't know how the IRCC officers make the decision concerning the NOC, but chosing a NOC that you cannot back up with a reference letter stating at least some of the roles listed there is clearly a misrepresentation.

What is misrepresentation :
A misrepresentation is a false or misleading statement or a material omission which renders other statements misleading, with intent to deceive.

Since IRCC has clearly set the NOCs eligible to apply through Express Entry, chosing one you cannot match, is therefore not just a mistake.

Ontario has a whole nomination program that is based on NOC selection, so I would say they play a pretty important role in the application process.

I would advise to do a careful research when chosing the NOC, which you would have plenty of time after the ITA to consider it.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
@MajorGrom @mushymush

I don't know how the IRCC officers make the decision concerning the NOC, but chosing a NOC that you cannot back up with a reference letter stating at least some of the roles listed there is clearly a misrepresentation.

What is misrepresentation :
A misrepresentation is a false or misleading statement or a material omission which renders other statements misleading, with intent to deceive.

Since IRCC has clearly set the NOCs eligible to apply through Express Entry, chosing one you cannot match, is therefore not just a mistake.

Ontario has a whole nomination program that is based on NOC selection, so I would say they play a pretty important role in the application process.

I would advise to do a careful research when chosing the NOC, which you would have plenty of time after the ITA to consider it.
Bro, if you are PNP you would know that choosing wrong NOC does not constitute misrep.

You don't want to know how many of us had to submit multiple PNP applications after rejections due to wrong NOCs. If we misrepresented, we would have been banned for at least 5 years.

nehcan123

Mar 22, 2022
Hi - I did my soft landing last month. No GTF or GTC asked..

I am planning to visit Canada again (after getting my PR card) but not permanently yet (will move next year). Will that be an issue at immigration?

Reactions: AlmostThere2