+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

D

Deleted member 1050918

what kinda documents did they ask you for when getting your place? Was it bank statements/your passport/visa only or something more like proof of having a guarantor for the apartment?
Proof of income, in my case: employer letter, bank statements
Photo ID: I didn't have a Canadian photo ID so I submitted my country's photo ID
Work reference letters
Landlord reference contact (they called my landlord)

Some asked for a guarantor, some didn't. My current place didn't.

The whole process took over a week, which is kinda dumb. You can get it all done literally in a day in my country.

D

Deleted member 994371

Photo ID: I didn't have a Canadian photo ID so I submitted my country's photo ID
Work reference letters

The whole process took over a week, which is kinda dumb. You can get it all done literally in a day in my country.

In other words, if one is not employed, it's rather difficult if not impossible to find a place to live.

D

Deleted member 1050918

In other words, if one is not employed, it's rather difficult if not impossible to find a place to live.
Depends what your bank looks like. If you have like $100k in your bank then it might be different. But my experience shows that they don't trust the cash you have in your bank too much, what they wanna see first is good salary + good credit score. I got lucky and barely made it.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
One thing, I learnt about moving to new is that the urge to sign a lease quickly may not be the best choice always. I prefer to stay in an Airbnb and get used to the city. In the case of Canada, I would stay in an Airbnb for first 2 months and then look for houses.

Reactions: Lc4life and raklukr

raklukr

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
Work reference letters

I was thinking of doing an Airbnb for 4 months and confirming that the owner will allow me to receive mail before booking it. After that, I'll get an apartment

D

Deleted member 1050918

I was thinking of doing an Airbnb for 4 months and confirming that the owner will allow me to receive mail before booking it. After that, I'll get an apartment
If you can afford an Airbnb for 4 months, sure, go for it. I've found that good Airbnbs are like x2 the normal rent, and the normal rent only gets you a basement or a shared house. I'm done with shared houses so I said nope.

Reactions: raklukr
D

Deleted member 994371

One thing, I learnt about moving to new is that the urge to sign a lease quickly may not be the best choice always. I prefer to stay in an Airbnb and get used to the city. In the case of Canada, I would stay in an Airbnb for first 2 months and then look for houses.

Saar, 3k CAD shared basement in Vancouver and Toronto.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Saar, 3k CAD shared basement in Vancouver and Toronto.
Actually, I checked. You will get an Private bath/bedroom for $2.5k to $2.6k. Remember its a good deal when you realize that utilities are all paid. Of course, one won't get an entire fancy looking apartment for less than $3K. Its a great option for single or young couple who can explore the city and neighborhood before signing a bad lease.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
If you can afford an Airbnb for 4 months, sure, go for it. I've found that good Airbnbs are like x2 the normal rent, and the normal rent only gets you a basement or a shared house. I'm done with shared houses so I said nope.
Below is from Vancouver for July 2022. One would dumb if they look for an entire apartment for cheap price. Private bath/bedroom are available at a affordable price in GTA/Vancouver/Calgary. Again, paid utilities. You cannot have it all. And below prices are in USD.

D

Deleted member 1050918

Below is from Vancouver for July 2022. One would dumb if they look for an entire apartment for cheap price. Private bath/bedroom are available at a affordable price in GTA/Vancouver/Calgary. Again, paid utilities. You cannot have it all. And below prices are in USD.

That's more Burnaby than Vancouver mate (Burnaby is essentially China btw). I'm seeing they average about 1500 USD ~2000 CAD, and as far as I can see they're mostly basement rooms. For a short period (1-2 weeks) till I move into a permanent place, I wouldn't mind getting that kind of Airbnb but no way I'm paying 2000 CAD a month for a basement in Burnaby for any longer.

Unless I have to... It's really challenging for fresh immigrants to get a whole apartment due to insufficient credit score and rental history.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
That's more Burnaby than Vancouver mate (Burnaby is essentially China btw). I'm seeing they average about 1500 USD ~2000 CAD, and as far as I can see they're mostly basement rooms. For a short period (1-2 weeks) till I move into a permanent place, I wouldn't mind getting that kind of Airbnb but no way I'm paying 2000 CAD a month for a basement in Burnaby for any longer.

Unless I have to... It's really challenging for fresh immigrants to get a whole apartment due to insufficient credit score and rental history.
From what I experienced, they only looked for proof of employment / job offer since they knew I'm a new immigrant. I don't have any credit score or rental history.

Reactions: RSub