+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
To people who have recently received PPR/Landed in Canada. What do you guys suggest regarding applying for jobs in Canada. Should I apply before my arrival or is it better to apply once I land. How hard is it to find a job before landing? Do employers ask for immigration status documents/sin before offering a job? Do I need a Canadian number?

Also for people in Ontario, how is the job market for skilled and unskilled work? I keep hearing Canada needs workers after pandemic but is the same valid for Ontario?

I don't have a ppr yet! Just expecting it soon and want to have a job as soon as I land
what kind of unskilled? restaurant work is easy and some warehouse but yeah youre gonna have to put effort for even good part time jobs

nemo123

Sep 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what kind of unskilled? restaurant work is easy and some warehouse but yeah youre gonna have to put effort for even good part time jobs
Unskilled like warehouse or restaurant like you said. At least till I secure a good job. It takes quite sometime to find a job in Canada, at least two months from what I have heard that's why I wanted to know if its possible to apply before arriving and without immigration status documentation

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Unskilled like warehouse or restaurant like you said. At least till I secure a good job. It takes quite sometime to find a job in Canada, at least two months from what I have heard that's why I wanted to know if its possible to apply before arriving and without immigration status documentation
Idk about that, these type of jobs, once u get offered they want you to work tomorrow plus you are required to submit SIN for most jobs. If its big corporations u still have to go thru the web portals so I would apply there

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
Can you please share the paper that was given to you with your personal details blurred? I think reading specific instructions beforehand will help me a lot.
I’m not very good at sending photos here. It’s a blank address notification form IMM 5456 which is just giving you 3 options. Request address change at cic website at e-services(their online system is broken, it never works), Fax the completed form to 1-902-564-7317, or call their help center at 1-888-242-2100 with your address(which is what I did). You just give your address over the phone, they link it right away with your PR card and that is it. Took them 10 minutes to add my address.
At the end of the form it says: “If we do not receive your address within 180 days of the date of your entry into Canada, you will be required to submit an application to obtain your permanent resident card and you will be required to pay the applicable fee($500 per person).

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
I’ll give you my experience in Ontario currently. I didn’t want to go to Toronto metro because it was too expensive, so my initial plan was to sublet a room for a few months in London and work at survival job initially, in order to get my self sorted and looked for work in my field afterwards.

Though before moving, I started applying for jobs with a Canadian phone number in an app and the address of someone I knew in London. I got a few interviews like that, but all to neighboring cities which screws you over without a car initially.

I got a job offer in my field, right when I arrived in London, in April, though it was for their Windsor location, and pending background check and medicals and to start at the end of May.

So I changed plans, moved to a studio in Windsor on May 1st, and decided to look for survival jobs to kill time while I wait to start at the company at the end of the month.

Windsor sucks, in terms of survival jobs. It’s ranked the highest unemployment for large city in Canada. Unlike London, you hardly see hiring signs at stores, every hiring event has like 40 students trying to get a part time job this time of year, and every store you go to already has a stack of resumes.

I’ve been here 2 weeks and haven’t gotten a survival job yet, planning on giving up and just chill tillI start the job I came here for.

My recommendation is to research a place you think has good survival jobs and stick to it, unless you are sure you will get a job in your field quickly. Get your DOCs in order(sin, health card, PR card, license) and then start looking for stuff in your field, because it will be much easier.

North America is car dependent, so getting your license and a car will help a lot, specially since locations with public transport are full of students looking for work, so you have a better chance if you can drive to neighboring cities that don’t have buses.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I’ll give you my experience in Ontario currently. I didn’t want to go to Toronto metro because it was too expensive, so my initial plan was to sublet a room for a few months in London and work at survival job initially, in order to get my self sorted and looked for work in my field afterwards.

Though before moving, I started applying for jobs with a Canadian phone number in an app and the address of someone I knew in London. I got a few interviews like that, but all to neighboring cities which screws you over without a car initially.

I got a job offer in my field, right when I arrived in London, in April, though it was for their Windsor location, and pending background check and medicals and to start at the end of May.

So I changed plans, moved to a studio in Windsor on May 1st, and decided to look for survival jobs to kill time while I wait to start at the company at the end of the month.

Windsor sucks, in terms of survival jobs. It’s ranked the highest unemployment for large city in Canada. Unlike London, you hardly see hiring signs at stores, every hiring event has like 40 students trying to get a part time job this time of year, and every store you go to already has a stack of resumes.

I’ve been here 2 weeks and haven’t gotten a survival job yet, planning on giving up and just chill tillI start the job I came here for.

My recommendation is to research a place you think has good survival jobs and stick to it, unless you are sure you will get a job in your field quickly. Get your DOCs in order(sin, health card, PR card, license) and then start looking for stuff in your field, because it will be much easier.

North America is car dependent, so getting your license and a car will help a lot, specially since locations with public transport are full of students looking for work, so you have a better chance if you can drive to neighboring cities that don’t have buses.
Shoulda come to SK, where survival jobs look for you, not the other way round :D :D :D.

D

Deleted member 994371

I’m not very good at sending photos here. It’s a blank address notification form IMM 5456 which is just giving you 3 options. Request address change at cic website at e-services(their online system is broken, it never works), Fax the completed form to 1-902-564-7317, or call their help center at 1-888-242-2100 with your address(which is what I did). You just give your address over the phone, they link it right away with your PR card and that is it. Took them 10 minutes to add my address.
At the end of the form it says: “If we do not receive your address within 180 days of the date of your entry into Canada, you will be required to submit an application to obtain your permanent resident card and you will be required to pay the applicable fee($500 per person).

I think found the form you were talking about:

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/introduction.do?app=coanotify

I think this is the online option the form talks about.

Edit: Found more info here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=054&top=10

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo123

Sep 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have lived in Windsor and it sucks like you said. If you are looking for a survival job till you start a job in your field try applying at domino's. I worked their 6 years ago for a couple of years and they usually hire right away.

I will be moving to Mississauga because I own a house there. A lot of jobs their but the problem is for each job there are 100's of applicants waiting to get selected. I left Canada 3 years ago and remember how hard it was to get a job back then. Last I was working for a top bank and they usually do hire every three months or so due to high turnover. But the problem is surviving till they hire me again. I have a family of 3 and with airline tickets so high ot will eat most of my savings and skyrocketing cost of living in Ontario I really don't have an option but to work as soon as I arrive

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021
Fake London and NA car dependency? Feels like I'm in an episode of NotJustBikes.

Reactions: OneStepAtATime

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have lived in Windsor and it sucks like you said. If you are looking for a survival job till you start a job in your field try applying at domino's. I worked their 6 years ago for a couple of years and they usually hire right away.

I will be moving to Mississauga because I own a house there. A lot of jobs their but the problem is for each job there are 100's of applicants waiting to get selected. I left Canada 3 years ago and remember how hard it was to get a job back then. Last I was working for a top bank and they usually do hire every three months or so due to high turnover. But the problem is surviving till they hire me again. I have a family of 3 and with airline tickets so high ot will eat most of my savings and skyrocketing cost of living in Ontario I really don't have an option but to work as soon as I arrive
But if you own a house already, that is a good plus. You’ll have to accept whatever comes at first. I know some people that moved to toronto metro recently. It took them a bit, but they started working at a supermarket close to their apartment. Took 2 weeks to get a job. At least Toronto metro is not car dependent. Though you might have a long commute depending where you work.

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
Fake London and NA car dependency? Feels like I'm in an episode of NotJustBikes.
Like fake London itself is not car dependent, but most manufacturers that say they’re in London, are actually in the outskirts where there are no buses. Though if you’re just gonna work at a Walmart, for example, then you can just use their buses which isn’t bad.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
To people who have recently received PPR/Landed in Canada. What do you guys suggest regarding applying for jobs in Canada. Should I apply before my arrival or is it better to apply once I land. How hard is it to find a job before landing? Do employers ask for immigration status documents/sin before offering a job? Do I need a Canadian number?

Also for people in Ontario, how is the job market for skilled and unskilled work? I keep hearing Canada needs workers after pandemic but is the same valid for Ontario?

I don't have a ppr yet! Just expecting it soon and want to have a job as soon as I land
I tell you better idea. Come with a Canadian job in hand if you can help. Searching job in Canada while on a budget sucks big time.

Reactions: nemo123 and Alysson