Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
App. Filed.......
15-01-2021
AOR Received.
15-01-2021
I did my upfront medical on 9-3-22, and raised the webform with the emedical sheet and vaccination report. Yesterday I recieved an email from LONDON VO STATING the following. Along with this I got a GU where my medical chaned from "you do not need a medical" to " we are reviewing your medical". What could I expect from this? Need suggestions. AS PER LAST GCMS NOTES ELIGIBILTY AND SECURITY - NOT STARTED, CRIMINALITY - PASSED AND MEDICAL PASSED NOW EXPIRED
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

We confirm receipt of your upfront medicals. The results have been linked to your file.

Yours sincerely,

EXP

Immigration and Medical Services Division

High Commission of Canada

Canada House | Maison du Canada
Trafalgar Square
London | Londres
SW1Y 5BJ
www.UnitedKingdom.gc.ca | www.Royaume-Uni.gc.ca

Twitter: @CanadianUK | @CanadienRU
Join | Abonnez-vous à Canada Plus : canadaplus@international.gc.ca

AOR - 15-01-21, FSW O
VO LONDON
PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

D

Deleted member 1050918

keep my head down and work hard for a year or so and then get a faculty position somewhere
Said 99% of PhD graduates and only 12.8% found a faculty position

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4309283/#:~:text=For example, in engineering, a,academic positions in the USA.

For example, in engineering, a professor in the US graduates 7.8 new PhDs during his/her whole career on average, and only one of these graduates can replace the professor’s position. This implies that in a steady state, only 12.8% of PhD graduates can attain academic positions in the USA.

Ways to fuck your whole life up better than any other suicidal act:

1. Have an academic career
2. 1

Last edited by a moderator:

calis_s

Star Member
Oct 3, 2020
So, got the postdoc position at McMaster. Pay is shit but hoping to keep my head down and work hard for a year or so and then get a faculty position somewhere.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4309283/#:~:text=For example, in engineering, a,academic positions in the USA.

For example, in engineering, a professor in the US graduates 7.8 new PhDs during his/her whole career on average, and only one of these graduates can replace the professor’s position. This implies that in a steady state, only 12.8% of PhD graduates can attain academic positions in the USA.

2. 1
Instead of following an academic career, after PhD, industry is much better in my opinion. For many reasons I will not look back after I finish my stupid PhD.
@hsiddd have you considered an industry related role? or are you one of those few people who are still passionate about an academic career after PhD :D

Reactions: OneStepAtATime
D

Deleted member 1050918

Instead of following an academic career, after PhD, industry is much better in my opinion. For many reasons I will not look back after I finish my stupid PhD.
@hsiddd have you considered an industry related role? or are you one of those few people who are still passionate about an academic career after PhD :D
I'll never understand the point of having an academic career. You can literally do research whenever you want, wherever you want. You don't need to be a "prof" to do research and have your papers published. It is now so common to see research papers published by groups formed entirely of industry fellas without any affiliations with any university or lab. Some people just like pain I guess.

Reactions: Yodm

calis_s

Star Member
Oct 3, 2020
I'll never understand the point of having an academic career. You can literally do research whenever you want, wherever you want. You don't need to be a "prof" to do research and have your papers published. It is now so common to see research papers published by groups formed entirely of industry fellas without any affiliations with any university or lab. Some people just like pain I guess.
I agree 100%. Even better, in industry you have funds already available to you. You don't have to worry about money. Plus, most of the time companies have technicians dedicated to somewhat basic experiments, so you can actually do some real research! It is heaven for people who loves to do research. But maybe some people like being in the academic circles (they are mostly toxic so I don't understand the reason but oh well), and also the status.

hsiddd

Star Member
Dec 9, 2021
Punjab
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-11-2019
AOR Received.
28-11-2019

2. 1
Hahaha. That's true. I love academics though. If I can't get a faculty position within the next 2 years, it would be time for me to change careers. My goal in the current job would be to publish as many good quality papers as I can. Rest we'll see.

hsiddd

Star Member
Dec 9, 2021
Punjab
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-11-2019
AOR Received.
28-11-2019
Oh I love academics and research, wouldn't want to leave it.

Reactions: calis_s
D

Deleted member 1050918