Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
This is correct. All the stories we read on this forum where border officer did not initiate PR card application is because people start telling long stories rather than just answering the question asked. People start explaining how they will only stay 2-3 days, go back and come back and then find an apartment to get an address in Canada. Ofcourse, if you have no friend / family in Canada then do so else if you have an address to give in Canada just provide the address to the officer and card will be delivered there.

There is no "soft landing" in IRCC vocabulary. That term has been coined on this forum. Once you are PR only thing you need to worry about residency obligations. No one cares whether you leave 1 day after you activate your PR status. They only care when you renew your PR card / apply for citizenship you have enough physical presence days in Canada.
What about the Goods to follow list? Would the officer ask any question if we give GTF list and tell them that we will bring it later?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
What about the Goods to follow list? Would the officer ask any question if we give GTF list and tell them that we will bring it later?
No just give the GTF list and get it stamped. They generally won't even look at it. Only thing they check is that you have total of the goods mentioned.

Reactions: RSub

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
No just give the GTF list and get it stamped. They generally won't even look at it. Only thing they check is that you have total of the goods mentioned.
Got it. Thank you.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Can I not apply from US and keep it with me? My current Country of residence is US.
Technically you are not "eligible" to apply for PRTD in US if you plan to return by your own car.

Permanent resident travel document: Who can apply - Canada.ca

Eligibility
You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you:
  • are a permanent resident,
  • do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
  • are outside Canada, and
  • will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.

D

Deleted member 994371

Okay. Would that be misinterpretation if I come back to US next day or same day?

No. Nothing about soft-landing is illegal.

Ping me on Whatsapp if you want a link for PRTD group. Last I checked the wait times was close to 4 months for it. It may have improved recently.

The easiest way, of course, is to have your PR card with you. Land in Canada, and have your PR card delivered to your friend's house. Many people in the PRTD Whatsapp group have had their PR card FedExed to India. They didn't face any issue but it is technically against the laws actually.

I can't remember the handbook I read for CBSA officials, but mailing travel documents by someone else other than the owner of that document is illegal. I did my research before my own soft-landing. CBSA has the right to seize it under the pretense that it may be misused by someone. Even if it does get caught, you have to tell them that you asked someone to mail it to you. In that case, you will be allowed to collect it from some CBSA office, there won't be charges against you, as long as you can prove that you were going to use it for yourself and weren't doing anything illegal with it.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
No. Nothing about soft-landing is illegal.

Ping me on Whatsapp if you want a link for PRTD group. Last I checked the wait times was close to 4 months for it. It may have improved recently.

The easiest way, of course, is to have your PR card with you. Land in Canada, and have your PR card delivered to your friend's house. Many people in the PRTD Whatsapp group have had their PR card FedExed to India. They didn't face any issue but it is technically against the laws actually.

I can't remember the handbook I read for CBSA officials, but mailing travel documents by someone else other than the owner of that document is illegal. I did my research before my own soft-landing. CBSA has the right to seize it under the pretense that it may be misused by someone. Even if it does get caught, you have to tell them that you asked someone to mail it to you. In that case, you will be allowed to collect it from some CBSA office, there won't be charges against you, as long as you can prove that you were going to use it for yourself and weren't doing anything illegal with it.
IRCC on Twitter: "@ItisMoody 1/2 Hi. IRCC will not mail PR cards outside of Canada and we don’t recommend that anyone else does it for you, as there is a risk of this important identification card being lost or stolen en route." / Twitter

IRCC doesn't say it is illegal just that don't do it as it may get lost or stolen.

raklukr

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
Can I not apply from US and keep it with me? My current Country of residence is US.
I would recommend getting the PR card in hand and not applying for a PRTD at all.
In general, I find the soft landing stuff to be BS, if one doesn't intend to move to Canada permanently, they shouldn't apply for PR in the first place. However, that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
in the end there was no new tr to pr category introduced. It was just them saying they will incorporate tr more, by having the ability to pick and choose priority nocs/language in the future.
If they created an actual TR2PR program like last year, then express entry needed to be dumped.

• Sad
Reactions: Yodm