Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
1. Don't tell them you are soft-landing. Give your friend's/relative's address when you land.
Okay. Would that be misinterpretation if I come back to US next day or same day?

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
1. Don't tell them you are soft-landing. Give your friend's/relative's address when you land.
2. Faced with no issues getting SIN the next day of landing. However, some folks did face some issue where Service Canada had no record of them landing. In that case, they were given a temp paper with information written on it so that they can still be employed. It won't effect you if you are not looking for job but it may affect you if you want to get SIN as fast as you can and get out.
3. Also get a bank account and credit card the day you land. CIBC offers more credit limits than any other bank.
4. If you have US driving license you can exchange it for a Canadian license later, so don't go for DL right now.
So my plan is to soft land, stay in CA for 3 to 4 days, apply for PR card, SIN, and Credit Card, and come back to US and then move to CA permanently in a 2 months. My plan is to use the COPR to come back to Canada via land border after 2 months and ask my friend to mail the PR card to my Canadian address. Is this legal and possible?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
So my plan is to soft land, stay in CA for 3 to 4 days, apply for PR card, SIN, and Credit Card, and come back to US and then move to CA permanently in a 2 months. My plan is to use the COPR to come back to Canada via land border after 2 months and ask my friend to mail the PR card to my Canadian address. Is this legal and possible?
The debate as to whether sending PR card outside of Canada is legal, is very subjective. In past many have done that without any issues and many other try to avoid that as well. So apart from that part, rest of your plan is all good and dont see any issue. You can turn back the moment you are accepted as PR. Good luck !

Reactions: RSub

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
The debate as to whether sending PR card outside of Canada is legal, is very subjective. In past many have done that without any issues and many other try to avoid that as well. So apart from that part, rest of your plan is all good and dont see any issue. You can turn back the moment you are accepted as PR. Good luck !
Thank you. I need the PR card as I will go to India for a vacation few days after I move to Canada permanently. I just need to enter Canada to leave my stuffs which I will do via land border. If I am not able to apply for PR card in that 4 days, I will apply for PRTD once I come back to US after Soft landing. I will then enter Canada via land border permanently with my COPR, leave my things in Canada, and travel to India for vacation. Then, return from India after vacation and enter Canada via PRTD as COPR is not allowed in airports. I pray I am allowed to apply for PR card during soft landing. Hope this the last time I need to do so much for immigration.

raklukr

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
You wouldn't apply for a PR Card, immigration does it for you.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=054&top=10

Reactions: AlmostThere2

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you. I need the PR card as I will go to India for a vacation few days after I move to Canada permanently. I just need to enter Canada to leave my stuffs which I will do via land border. If I am not able to apply for PR card in that 4 days, I will apply for PRTD once I come back to US after Soft landing. I will then enter Canada via land border permanently with my COPR, leave my things in Canada, and travel to India for vacation. Then, return from India after vacation and enter Canada via PRTD as COPR is not allowed in airports. I pray I am allowed to apply for PR card during soft landing. Hope this the last time I need to do so much for immigration.
I don't think you can enter Canada twice with your COPR. Not 100% sure, but don't think so.

Reactions: Yodm and RSub

raklukr

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
But, Can I apply when I am in US after I am done with Soft landing? Don't I need to be physically present in CA to apply?
Only if immigration refuses to apply for a PR card (maybe because of a soft landing ) can you apply for a PR card. If you apply for a PR card, I believe all you would need is a Canadian address.

Last edited:

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
PRTD is one time entry visa and you will have to apply that from India. PRTD timelines are long so unless you are going to be in India for a long time it won't work. Best is to leave for India with PR card in hand. If trip is urgent in that case apply for PRTD as soon as you are in India.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
You wouldn't apply for a PR Card, immigration does it for you.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=054&top=10
This is correct. All the stories we read on this forum where border officer did not initiate PR card application is because people start telling long stories rather than just answering the question asked. People start explaining how they will only stay 2-3 days, go back and come back and then find an apartment to get an address in Canada. Ofcourse, if you have no friend / family in Canada then do so else if you have an address to give in Canada just provide the address to the officer and card will be delivered there.

There is no "soft landing" in IRCC vocabulary. That term has been coined on this forum. Once you are PR only thing you need to worry about residency obligations. No one cares whether you leave 1 day after you activate your PR status. They only care when you renew your PR card / apply for citizenship you have enough physical presence days in Canada.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
I am not sure about your PRTD understanding - applying from US and getting it stamped in India. Yes you can enter Canada via land border from US using your COPR.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
PRTD is one time entry visa and you will have to apply that from India. PRTD timelines are long so unless you are going to be in India for a long time it won't work. Best is to leave for India with PR card in hand. If trip is urgent in that case apply for PRTD as soon as you are in India.
PRTD can be multiple entry as well if you are lucky :)

Reactions: cansha

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Can I not apply from US and keep it with me? My current Country of residence is US.