Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Completely missed the point...
It does not. If you account for fringe (massive nationalist movement in Canada similar to Trumpism in USA) and negative situation (from immigration situation) they I believe you should also atleast consider data for what is really happening right about now. Data from PEW polls, statement of mainstream parties in their election manifestos. These reflect the mood of Canada quite accurately. Especially political parties manifesto. Heck, EVEN conservatives were not inclined to reduce immigration levels. EVEN PPC, the far most right wing party in Canada was asking for lower immigration. Far right parties in likes of UK/US have asked for COMPLETE shutdown of immigration.

aight man, immigration to Canada is super easy right now and it totally DIDN'T take me 3+ years to make zero progress despite being the top 5% of scores. Canadian immigration will definitely get easier or whatever i guess
You DO realize that ;

1. Score is NOT priority in processing. Its only priority to be invited to apply.
2. In 2014, many folks had to wait for 3 to 5 years to get their application even looked at.
3. We had a massive pandemic till atleast May-July 2021. Heck, my office has been on complete work from home since March 2020 till date. It will be like this till Jan 2022 ATLEAST. Not saying that it is justified that Canada is no longer inviting folks even after pandemic is in control, but it is still a far cry to what used to happen in first half of 2010s.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
"height of trump's populism" as if it's declining. It's stronger than ever, and he has a strong chance of winning in 2025
I always wonder..
You know, EVEN the pollsters like Nate Silver have trouble in predicting outcome of elections that are JUST couple of months to JUST FEW weeks away and here you are... telling us that Trump has a strong chance of winning in 2025. Where you get this all confidence? What data you refer to?

Let me tell you how real world works. Till Jan 2020, all was going well for Trump. Stock markets were record high, unemployment was dropping and record low. Then came the pandemic and BOOM he got pushed out. Point being, no one freakin knows what will happen in 2025. Trump may suffer a stroke and die for all you know.

The future past 1 year or so is always uncertain. Especially in political landscape.

Reactions: ita_drgen

Shivpati

Jul 1, 2020
Forgive my ignorance - Is there a way I can change my address so that whenever they send my PR card or whatever it shows up at my door step and not my immigration lawyer office? If yes, is it a webform or I have to wait for some sort of email to confirm my address?

@legalfalcon or others - any guidance?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I think it's the same for all grad programs, not just PhD. Yeah you lock the amount asked by the government into a bank account and they pay you monthly over that. But time is easier for grad students in Germany because tuition is usually pretty close to zero and life expenses (rent food etc) are generally lower. Also I believe students have higher chances of getting additional pay from their supervisors to do some extra for industry and/or the university. Haven't heard poverty stories from my grad friends in EU as brutal as my stories.

As far as I know UK is pretty tough in terms of grad student finances. Tuition there is crazy too. I'd say overall it's close to North America (perhaps a bit better, closer to EU a bit).

Agreed. The moment I signed my research assistantship contract and saw the money on it, I went up on google and looked up tuition, rent, grocery cost etc and thought to myself "man I'm so fucked but let's see how it goes". Just a month into my "Canadian dream" as a grad student, bam, reality wakes me up one morning bashing me in the face screaming "you were right dumbass". I got a bit lucky later and found stability outside of Canada but my intention was to provide an image of "the standard" that would be waiting for most fellas in Canada if they wish to live on a stipend.
What's your research field? STEM or non stem?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Eh I'm not gonna play if you're gonna throw insults around like a kid again. Shared some numbers before but I'll do it again for those interested:

All dollars I'll talk about are Canadian dollars. Now if you're some 23 year old kid who's never been out of school let alone his/her country, you can stop reading here now; because what I'll share is not necessarily a concern for 25- year olds since they are still kids who wouldn't mind sleeping under a bridge calling it "yo dude I crashed somewhere so weeeiiiirrdddd".

Adults and young adults aged 25+ who are actually looking for "skilled immigration" or "professional immigration" to build more upon their existing careers, read on.

My lab mates and I are kinda on the better end of the grad student pay in BC. There are some very slight variations but let's average them to $1800 / month. You gotta put aside about $700 / mo to pay the next instalment of your tuition. $75 / mo is mandatory for government insurance thingy. So you're essentially getting paid $1025/ mo.

All you can do with this kind of money is rent a single room in a shared house where you probably have 5+ other tenants to share the kitchen and bathroom(s) with. I can't even begin to discuss how shitty of a situation house sharing is for an adult, but that's for another talk. An okay room in an okay house that's not a complete dump is about $800 / mo. --> $225 left

Your phone bill is probably $50 something but I'll cheat and say you're paying $25 / mo for phone. --> $200 left

Your shampoo, soap, tooth paste, deodorant and various other hygiene expenses will be about $100 / mo actually but let's assume you're a stinky piece of shit and get away with $50 / mo spending on hygiene. --> $150 left

Feeling hungry? You haven't spent on food yet. Eating properly at home like a human and not like a rat usually costs about $250 / mo, but you don't have that kind of money. See? As a grad student you don't get to eat as much as you like, but as much as $150 / mo allows you and that means you are never trully full after a meal and have to count your bites and embrace the stress inbetween those bites.

Oh you wanted to have a social life in Canada? Go to bars? Events? Pick up a hobby? Do something with friends? Maybe buy new clothes? Electronics? Just stuff you need? Dude you're barely not starving; you cannot have a social life, hobbies, or any sort of entertainment in Canada as a grad student.

"Kangaroo I can work as a teaching assistant and make life a bit easier how about that?" Yes you can. I'll do the math for you. For TAs, 1 standard course with standard hours and standard pay gets you $200 / mo if you divide it by 12 (all months of that year). So now add that $200 to the last $150 / mo you had in your pocket after spending on hygiene; you have $350 / mo if you TA once every single year. With $350 / mo, you can afford to eat okay for $250 and have $100 left for social life, hobbies, entertainment. Now you're at least not starving but $100 is not enough for social life. A typical Saturday night out at the local bar is $25 if you wanna go cheap and 2-3 student beers and leave. So all social life you get is you go out to the local bar once a week and drink 3 glasses of that piss called student beer (lager with a lot of water in it). I personally put down 3 glasses in an hour or two; so your "night out" is limited to 2 hours unless people are buying you drinks (lol). So forget about dating, events, hobbies, just keep drinking that piss at the local bar once a week and go back home half tipsy (trust me it has a lot of water in it) at fucking 10 PM (you went out at 8 and have only 2 hours in the bar).

This story ignores so many unexpected, unforeseen expenses, especially unexpected medical expenses.

I could go on and give more details but yeah that's the idea.
I appreciate the breakdown.

It's a tough journey for sure, it's why despite everything i always believe in giving international students a reasonable leg up on immigration because they really do go through a lot of sacrifices and tough times in order to make their immigration dreams come true. And all the while you're on that status you really don't have any rights or recourse to anything. Been through it so i know.

It's a hard life, and a stressful one knowing you are always right at the margins. But ultimately it will be worthwhile.

To be honest a PhD is only ever a good idea if you've made the decision to go into academia or research. It's not worth it if you just want to get a normal, corporate job.

D

Deleted member 1050918

What's your research field? STEM or non stem?
STEM

To be honest a PhD is only ever a good idea if you've made the decision to go into academia or research. It's not worth it if you just want to get a normal, corporate job.
This used to be true but in the last few years there has been a change. EU went full industrial with their PhDs. I think we discussed this with a friend here before. EU PhDs are usually done with, or even at, an industrial company so your prospects after PhD are golden. USA has the typical North American style of PhD where it usually has nothing to do with what industry wants so this easily makes one "overqualified" for jobs as you said. However since USA has many jobs, chances are ok for a PhD. Canada on the other hand... fellas I can assure you that any sort of PhD will "overqualify" you for literally all jobs in Canada (unless you're such a fan of 10-50 employee 6 month old startups with 27 year old "CEO"s). The job market is shitty on its own; no need to make it shittier for you by getting a PhD.

Why am I doing it? I was a dumbass kid when I built my whole plan about Canada as you can see.

Does a Canadian PhD ever pay off? Depends on what kind of network you built during your time in Canada. It shouldn't be hard for you to land a good job in EU. Is it worth it overall though? Probably not, not for me at least. PhD takes 4 years, I'm sure I could find a good job in EU within 4 years while staying in industry in my country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PRANIT01

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
It's subjective, but many times it's not really about how it affects the economy but more about how people perceive immigration.

Morrison won another election against the odds by promising to reduce immigration and it worked in Australia.

People don't vote on economic benefits as a whole, it's about how they perceive the affects immigration has on the society they live in.
Precisely my point, if Canada was becoming populist due to sociopolitical reasons then why wasn't Maxime Bernier granted a few seats at the table? Especially since of all the parties, he's the only one openly against immigration. Given that the election was just a few months ago, then we can be confident that for now, populism isn't expanding in Canada. In a few years, it maybe but we just have to see.

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
What’s your source?
@mushymush has zero source and, to be frank, is mostly negative. He/she is/was the one saying IRCC might cancel in progress applications only a few weeks ago!

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Precisely my point, if Canada was becoming populist due to sociopolitical reasons then why wasn't Maxime Bernier granted a few seats at the table? Especially since of all the parties, he's the only one openly against immigration. Given that the election was just a few months ago, then we can be confident that for now, populism isn't expanding in Canada. In a few years, it maybe but we just have to see.
Because he is too far right, doesn't mean that a more center-right candidate would not be successful with a more moderated platform.

It's like saying Macron cannot succeed with a right wing agenda because Marie Le Pen has been unsuccessful as a far right candidate.

There is a scale to right wing populism, even Trump did not cancel immigration but he did make it a lot harder.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Because he is too far right, doesn't mean that a more center-right candidate would not be successful with a more moderated platform.

It's like saying Macron cannot succeed with a right wing agenda because Marie Le Pen has been unsuccessful as a far right candidate.

There is a scale to right wing populism, even Trump did not cancel immigration but he did make it a lot harder.
From that perspective, the question becomes: if the Conservatives suddenly changed their stance in immigration would have they garnered more votes? Though given that most of them are in agreement with the Liberals in terms of the quantity of immigrants being accepted, I feel that they'd probably keep the pro-immigration stance for the time being.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
[Q
Why would Canada cancel immigration? If immigrants are in in-demand fields like IT, they fill a talent shortage. If they come in as skilled HR, business development or these other fields, they'll have to take up labor or service jobs, which is also facing a massive shortage. Either way, the Canadian government wins, they get taxes, property owners get richer but hey that PR is worth it right?