+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW Work Experience Question

johnjohn1212

Sep 2, 2021
Hi all, sorry if this question has already been asked here but here it goes:

I will be graduating from a master's program in Canada next year. I did my undergrad from the US, where I worked 10-15 hours/week part-time during my studies for all four years, over and above three full-time summer internships (40 hours/week). In this case, is my work experience sufficient enough for me to apply directly for the FSW program? Or should I gain a year's worth of full-time work experience in Canada on PGWP and apply under the CEC? I want the quickest possible route. Please advise.

Thank you!

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
FSW draws have not yet started and even if they do the cut offs are likely to be sky rocketing. If you have the chance to gain 1 year full time work experience in Canada, go ahead with that.
CECs have been in process in full swing this year.

johnjohn1212

Sep 2, 2021
@AishB for what it's worth, I have 8.5 bands in IELTS and I'm under 25 years of age. Does that improve my candidacy in any way? I'd just much rather get the PR sooner than find a skilled job and work for a year.

I also checked my profile against the eligibility criteria and I am getting 75 points on FSW (assuming my part-time experience of 4 years counts as a minimum 1 year of full-time experience) and a CRS in the 480s. Would you still recommend me to get a year's experience?

Last edited:

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
@AishB for what it's worth, I have 8.5 bands in IELTS and I'm under 25 years of age. Does that improve my candidacy in any way? I'd just much rather get the PR sooner than find a skilled job and work for a year.

I also checked my profile against the eligibility criteria and I am getting 75 points on FSW (assuming my part-time experience of 4 years counts as a minimum 1 year of full-time experience) and a CRS in the 480s. Would you still recommend me to get a year's experience?
It's not about the eligibility anymore. FSWs have not started so far and nobody knows if it will happen this year. Until you finish one year of Canadian experience, you will still be eligible to apply for FSW.
Go ahead and create a profile and get into the pool, it's certainly not going to be sooner as we stand by the current situation.

Last edited: