ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
aug. 2011
LANDED..........
nov. 2011
I have a PR card by FSW immigration.
I have lived about 1 yr since I got my card in my home country.
Now I am moving back to canada.

My qs;
1. Can I enter canada at montreal?
2. Can I settle in montreal given that I have my PR card through Federal immigration?
3. Is settling in montreal difficult when you do not know any french? I won't have a job.
I will make my living through investments.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes, you can enter at Montreal.

2. Yes, it's 2 yrs. since you landed so they can not accuse you of cheating the system as well as as a PR you have the right to live and work in any province.

3. I only know Montreal as a tourist so I can tell you that you can get by in the city without French just fine but when you are living there, no idea. There are more English speakers in certain neighbourhoods than others, see here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100818005237AAMFKwC

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I lived in Montreal when I was little. I could pretty much get by in the city without French.

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
steaky said:
I lived in Montreal when I was little. I could pretty much get by in the city without French.
Because you speak Chinese! You can "get by" anywhere in the world if you speak Chinese. LOL.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingkong1 said:
Because you speak Chinese! You can "get by" anywhere in the world if you speak Chinese. LOL.
The current Australian prime minister also speaks Chinese. Having knowledge of an additional language is always an asset.

nickster13

Sep 29, 2013
1. Can I enter canada at montreal?
2. Can I settle in montreal given that I have my PR card through Federal immigration?
3. Is settling in montreal difficult when you do not know any french? I won't have a job.
I will make my living through investments.

1. Yes of course you can!
2. Yes!
3. It depends what part of Montreal you live in and what kind of job you'd like.
There are many english people in Montreal, but it really varies by neighbourhood or region.
If you stay in the western half of the island, or basically anywhere west of st-laurent street, you should have no problems getting service in english, and you will meet people like myself who are born and raised english speakers. But almost every public sign in Montreal, despite the amount of english people, are in french, so you should learn to at least read basic french, as well as speak basic french to survive well!
Good luck!

kristie2012

Jul 8, 2012
Hi Leon,

I am FSW, just got PR. In my application I wrote Vancouver as intended living place, and also in Landing paper Vancouver is shown in there. In the notice with landing paper it says: If you plan to settle in the province of Quebec, you must be in possession of a CSQ that was valid on the date of CPR was issued. But we preferred Montreal as living place. I am pregant so need to get health card asap. So my question is:
1. Can we land in Vancouver then fly to Montreal once after interview with immigration officer?
2 If officer ask the intended living place, we cannot say any place in QC, right? We can just say other cities although then can go to QC?
3. If the first question says yes, can we apply health card in Montreal? Will CSQ be an issue when applying?
4. If cannot get the health card in Montreal, if we then go to Calgory right then, will Calgory think are residence from Montreal? Will issue health card after 3 months?

Or if you have any good advice?

Thank you very much
Kristie

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to land in Vancouver, you can land in any city outside of Quebec. You should not say that you are planning on going to Quebec and you should give a non-Quebec address for your PR card.

I am not sure if it is a problem for RAMQ that you are a new PR without a CSQ but other PR's have been able to move there and get covered. RAMQ does have a 3 month waiting period but pregnancy and childbirth are exempted from that so you would be covered for that.

If you have problems in Montreal and go to Calgary instead, as long as you were not in Montreal long enough to call yourself "settled" there, maybe only a couple of weeks, AB health would see you as a newcomer from outside Canada and would give you first day coverage.

kristie2012

Jul 8, 2012
Thank you very much Leon!Much clear now! Thank you for your kind reply!
Sorry I still have the following questions:

1. To be safe, I should say Calgory as my intended living place, give them non-QC address to receve PR card,right?
2. After interview, fly to Montreal then apply the Medi card asap. Can we apply medi card before applying SIN card?
3. Will immigration officer write down on landing paper or record the intended living place in their system? I am afraid if they did record, will that be an issue if apply health card in cities other than the intended place? Say if intended place is Vancouver, will Calgory think I move from Vancouver other than outside Canada?

Very appreciated for your kindly help!
Kristie

kristie2012

Jul 8, 2012
I just heard from one friend in Montreal that we have to apply SIN card then can apply medi care card. Is that ture? If apply SIN in Montreal successfully but failed to get the medi card, will that be an issue when applying medi card in Calgory? Will they found the SIN record in their system, found out we've already applied SIN card in Montreal then think us as immigrants from other proviences other than new commer from outside Canada?

Thank you in advance for your reply!
Kristie

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just apply for the SIN wherever you land. That way, you can have a SIN from Vancouver and come to Montreal and apply for a health card. If they give you problems, you can move to Calgary and show with your landing papers that you have just landed, they will see the date and you can say you were just in Montreal on vacation but want to settle in Calgary.

However, keep in mind that if you come to Calgary to get a health card, you should stay for at least 6 months before moving to another province. That is because eligibility for health care is living somewhere at least 6 months a year so if you come just to get a health card and then leave again, you risk that they might decide that you were never eligible in the first place and they may back charge you for the costs you have caused them.