+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW going to Montreal - how all will it affect us?

SD

Star Member
Jan 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

Some of you have answered one of my questions in the past. my situation in brief:

Originally applied for FSW as we wanted to settle in Toronto.
Got PR visas and then my husband's office told us they only have a vacancy in Montreal branch and offered a transfer
We are flying to Toronto first to activate our PR and apply for our Sin while staying there. We would also like to sight see since we were originally planning to move to Toronto.

Then we plan on moving on to Montreal after a week in Toronto.
We will work on our health insurance and drivers license once we are in Montreal. We will be staying in Montreal atleast for the next year or two and we will then go where the job takes us.

My questions are as follows

1. Will anyone give us a problem about being FSW and living in Montreal?
2. How long does it take to get PR and SIN cards?
3. Is there any other formality that we need to complete in Toronto before we head to Montreal?
4. How will they stay in Montreal affect our citizenship clock?
5. What happens regarding health insurance in Montreal?
6. What happens regarding drivers license?
7. Can we work in Montreal without any issues?
8. If we want to study further - does the university allow FSW to also get local fee rates?

Thanks in advance! :)

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Landing in Toronto and then moving to Montreal is all right. You will not have any problem in doing so. PR card will come as usual as issued by CIC, SIN one day, take your SIN and move to Montreal, Health Card and Driving License you can apply when you move to Montreal, No issues, you will have to pay local fee rates for your education.

SD

Star Member
Jan 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks explorer! do you know of anyone who has had to go through the same route?

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SD said:
thanks explorer! do you know of anyone who has had to go through the same route?
Yes, met few people. Applicants under FSW - Landing outside Quebec and then moving to Quebec is all right.

SD

Star Member
Jan 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks Explorer!

can you or anyone else also give us advice on what happens regarding our citizenship if we stay in quebec. will we accumulate points ( time) for the citizenship even if we stay in quebec?

also - PR cards - i know you have to give the address when you land at the airport.can we give an address in another province? e.g. we land at toronto but give an address for pr cards to be sent in edmonton.