+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW/CEC Work Experience - Remote work for US employer through PEO in Canada

Andyw99

Jan 10, 2021
I am currently working for a Canadian employer on my PGWP open work permit and will complete 3yrs work experience in August 2023 achieving the maximum points for Canadian work experience.
Looking for options to boost my score, I am seeing that I get 50 pts when I have 3yrs Canadian + 1yr Foreign work experience.

Foreign work experience (to a maximum of 50 points)
  • A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 25
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 25
Now, the concern I have is if I were to get a job for a US employer working remotely in Canada on PGWP and my taxes/payroll is handled by a PEO(middleman employer for tax purposes), so on my T4 my employer will be the PEO. The company however does not have any physical/virtual presence(No business licence in any province/jurisdiction) in Canada so I am assuming this should fall under foreign work experience and not CEC.

Does this count as foreign work experience or Canadian work experience? It'll be ideal for me to count this as Foreign Work Experience for additional 50pts.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
To answer your question, working for the US employer would not count towards CEC but it will count towards FSW. That combination of CEC and FSW would give you additional points.