+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW and CRS work experience conflicts

Aminer

Nov 17, 2018
Hi
I have gained 1-year continious Canadian work experience. The initial 3 months were gained when I was on my study permit. And the rest on my work permit. In CIC, it is stated that work experience gained while on study permit can be count towards minimum requirements but does not count for CRS ranking system. So considering this, I'm going to have 9 months Canadian work experience for CRS. I also have 4 months internship outside of Canada during my study which counts toward foreign work experience. I wonder if the sum of my 9 months Candian work experience and 4months foreign work experience which becomes more than 1 year work experience in total, would give me any points for CRS?
Thanks

Aminer

Nov 17, 2018
Foreign work experience in respect to CRS points is defined as follows:

"Foreign work experience

25 (1) For the purposes of sections 23 and 24, foreign work experience is work experience that
  • (a) is acquired by a foreign national outside Canada in one or more occupations listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;
  • (b) consists of full-time work experience, or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience, with one or more employers;
  • (c) is acquired within the 10-year period preceding the day on which points are assigned to the foreign national under section 23 or subsection 24(1); and
  • (d) is remunerated by the payment of wages or a commission."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system/current.html

Notice the highlighted part. It says outside Canada, so that would make your work experience obtained in Canada not match this definition.
So there is no point for the 1 year cumulative work experiences, right?

Aminer

Nov 17, 2018
1 another quick question, the first three months of my work, was obtained right after my graduation, while waiting for my pgwp and having study permit. So according to this forum, that initial three months can be a part of legit work expereinces. However, when I was filling my tax, I only had t4a slip for that three months, which may put this work as an internship being a full-time or something similar But still, I did this work after obtaining my degree. Do you think I have any chance to have that three months as the legit Canadian work experience?

Aminer

Nov 17, 2018
yea I agree it depends on how IRCC would define being a full-time student. it is not so clear in their website, it says work experience gained while being a full-time student is not counted. My work experience was gained after obtaining my diploma, and the preseason why I hired as an intern without a formal contract, was that I did not have a work permit and our company had an administrative issue with having me hired without that. Although, later they figured that they actually could give me a formal contract since the beginning. It was a stupid mistake.

Thanks for your answers