Interview........
Hopefully not
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
2016!!!
A friend of mine did just that , so you can land , get your SIN card and they will send your PR card to the Canadian address you gave them when you landed. You will only be able to get into Canada with the PR card though after you land.
hoodrobin said:
Question to all - We are planning to go to Canada for a day and get our PR activated. However we are leaving Canada the same day and will settle / return to Canada in about 8 months time. My question is - Can I still apply for the PR card and have it shipped to my friends address and then have him hand deliver it to me?

The concern I have is - I want to return to Canada and without the PR card the only ways to return to Canada are:

1) If I apply for a travel certificate (not sure how long this takes to get approved)
2) Travel by my own vehicle from US to Canada and in that case I can present my PP and COPR documents.

To avoid all of this I was thinking I will have the PR card shipped to my friend and then have him deliver it to me.

Any thoughts?

vinaj

Nov 3, 2014
Calgary
MrBank said:
A friend of mine did just that , so you can land , get your SIN card and they will send your PR card to the Canadian address you gave them when you landed. You will only be able to get into Canada with the PR card though after you land.
How long does it take to get the SIN card

I had the same question... How long we might have to stay in Canada to finish landing and getting SIN card and/or travel document to leave Canada

MrBank

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11_09-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
File Transfer...
Not Yet
Med's Request
Not Yet
Med's Done....
Yes
Interview........
Hopefully not
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
2016!!!
He spent less than 4days in all . I think you get you SIN card the same day . Will have to ask him

vinaj said:

I had the same question... How long we might have to stay in Canada to finish landing and getting SIN card and/or travel document to leave Canada

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can get your SIN as soon as you have your COPR and finish your landing process you don't need your PR card. Your PR card usually arrives after 6-8 weeks. Don't leave Canada before you have it

vinaj said:

vinaj

Nov 3, 2014
Calgary
SKguy said:
You can get your SIN as soon as you have your COPR and finish your landing process you don't need your PR card. Your PR card usually arrives after 6-8 weeks. Don't leave Canada before you have it
Why shouldn't I leave Canada before I get it?

Many people get the travel document and leave Canada. And friends mail the PR card when it arrives.

maryjane

Star Member
Mar 31, 2015
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
Med's Done....
22-12-2014
LANDED..........
study permit
jithesh69 said:
Congrats, how many days from the time passport arrived at CIC to get it back?
Thank you! :)
It arrived at cic april 22. It got stamped april 23. Then I got the passport yesterday afternoon, may 5. It had the copr, passport, and some instructions about landing :) its actually weird bec I yesterday morning, before I received my passport, i got an email from cic asking for my postal address here in Canada. I called cic and agent said not to reply yet. If i dont get my passport til today I can call them back and see if I should reply to their email. But i got it yesterday anyway so i didnt bother replying :)

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Legally the card is sent to your address in Canada so mailing outside Canada is technically not permitted. However i know people still do it. PR card gives you the right to enter Canada so it's not recommended to leave without having it. It's up to you after all that's just my two cent on the topic :)

vinaj said:
Why shouldn't I leave Canada before I get it?

Many people get the travel document and leave Canada. And friends mail the PR card when it arrives.

vinaj

Nov 3, 2014
Calgary
SKguy said:
Legally the card is sent to your address in Canada so mailing outside Canada is technically not permitted. However i know people still do it. PR card gives you the right to enter Canada so it's not recommended to leave without having it. It's up to you after all that's just my two cent on the topic :)
Thanks

CIC website says if we want to re-enter Canada (only if by road, car) we can do it just using the COPR if we don't have PR card yet

My friend visited me last year and he didn't have PR card so i will check with him (I am pretty sure he said he had travel document which is required to re enter Canada)

Also, they say they cannot mail PR card outside Canada (but our friend can mail it to us)

MrBank

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11_09-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
File Transfer...
Not Yet
Med's Request
Not Yet
Med's Done....
Yes
Interview........
Hopefully not
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
2016!!!
You can leave without it , You just have to make sure whoever address you use in Canada gets the PR card and mail it to you because you cant bet back into Canada without it .

vinaj said:
Thanks

CIC website says if we want to re-enter Canada (only if by road, car) we can do it just using the COPR if we don't have PR card yet

My friend visited me last year and he didn't have PR card so i will check with him (I am pretty sure he said he had travel document which is required to re enter Canada)

Also, they say they cannot mail PR card outside Canada (but our friend can mail it to us)

jithesh69

Nov 24, 2014
Earth
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-AUG-2014
AOR Received.
08-DEC-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
29-JAN-2015
Med's Done....
31-JAN-2015
Interview........
3rd Line Update 15th FEB 2015
Passport Req..
01-MAY-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-MAY-2015
LANDED..........
Jan 2016
maryjane said:
Thank you! :)
It arrived at cic april 22. It got stamped april 23. Then I got the passport yesterday afternoon, may 5. It had the copr, passport, and some instructions about landing :) its actually weird bec I yesterday morning, before I received my passport, i got an email from cic asking for my postal address here in Canada. I called cic and agent said not to reply yet. If i dont get my passport til today I can call them back and see if I should reply to their email. But i got it yesterday anyway so i didnt bother replying :)
Cool, mine reached on 4th May...waiting now with return Xpress Post Tracking in hand...+1 to you and congrats once again!!!

vinaj

Nov 3, 2014
Calgary
MrBank said:
You can leave without it , You just have to make sure whoever address you use in Canada gets the PR card and mail it to you because you cant bet back into Canada without it .
I am not too sure if that is true

check this
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

Grace1978

Jun 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 29-th, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Jan 9-th, 2015
File Transfer...
Feb 26-th, 2015
Med's Request
March 2-nd, 2015
Med's Done....
Recvd March 24-th, DM May 12-th, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR May 27-th
vinaj said:
I am not too sure if that is true

check this
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10
Thanks for the link, now I am sure if I will land in Canada I will wait for PR and than plan Vacation :)
+1 for you

waitingforfsw

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
MrBank said:
Can i also apply for health care card along with sin and pr card when i land and give my friends address?? So what i am asking is say i go to canada for 2 weeks.I fill PR form at landing , and then apply for sin and health card and give my firends address for all of this??Is this OK?

vinaj

Nov 3, 2014
Calgary
Grace1978 said:
Thanks for the link, now I am sure if I will land in Canada I will wait for PR and than plan Vacation :)
+1 for you
Grace thanks for +1 but I am not sure what you interpreted from it..

What i understood from it is you don't need to have PR card for leaving and/or coming back to Canada

You can apply for travel document and leave and come back